Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #16 prospect for 2013? (Runoff)

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seth Mejias-Brean

20 47.62%
  • David Vidal

22 52.38%

Thread: Redszone's #16 prospect - runoff style.

Redszone's #16 prospect - runoff style.

Well we have our first runoff, folks. David Vidal and Seth Mejias-Brean each collected 8 votes. A 48-hour poll to settle the tie is being posted. Jonathan Reynoso missed out by just one vote.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone's #16 prospect - runoff style.

Doesn't matter much, but I would have liked to see Reynoso also in the runoff.

Think it would tell us more if all three closely bunched candidates were in the runoff.

No big deal, obviously.

Vidal. Closer to the majors. But SMB is next on my list.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Vidal will win because he is so loved, but I went with Brean.

When a guy, even a lower level guy, has such a good K/BB rate AND hits for excellent power, he gets number 16 in the runoff IMO.

Vidal for me.

They were both drafted in the 8th round, Mejias-Brean is a year younger, but Vidal is THREE levels ahead of him on the minor league ladder.

Vidal also has a much longer track record as a power hitter, with 2012 being the first time Mejias-Brean has shown any power outside of batting practice.

Lastly, I am more impressed by Vidal's age 21 season (847 OPS in 127 Midwest League games) than I am with Mejias-Brean's age 21 season (925 OPS in 46 Pioneer League games).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Vidal for me.

They were both drafted in the 8th round, Mejias-Brean is a year younger, but Vidal is THREE levels ahead of him on the minor league ladder.

Vidal also has a much longer track record as a power hitter, with 2012 being the first time Mejias-Brean has shown any power outside of batting practice.

Lastly, I am more impressed by Vidal's age 21 season (847 OPS in 127 Midwest League games) than I am with Mejias-Brean's age 21 season (925 OPS in 46 Pioneer League games).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Vidal will win because he is so loved, but I went with Brean.

When a guy, even a lower level guy, has such a good K/BB rate AND hits for excellent power, he gets number 16 in the runoff IMO.
    Same reason for me. A big, athletic player with strong plate discipline and contact skills becomes something pretty special if pro coaching can uncork his power. I don't wanna get too hyped up on Billings stats, but last year was a good sign of adjustments right out of the gate.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Same reason for me. A big, athletic player with strong plate discipline and contact skills becomes something pretty special if pro coaching can uncork his power. I don't wanna get too hyped up on Billings stats, but last year was a good sign of adjustments right out of the gate.

Billings 2012 isn't Billings 2007. New field and it plays quite average, unlike old Billings, which was a launching pad. In fact, left field in Billings KILLS hitters. Right field really, really helps them. Center field plays slightly pitcher friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Doesn't matter much, but I would have liked to see Reynoso also in the runoff.

Think it would tell us more if all three closely bunched candidates were in the runoff.

No big deal, obviously.
    I strongly considered putting all three in. But is nearing February and we are only on #16. I will try to start a little earlier next off-season.

Absolute shame Ryan Wright has not been chosen yet. # 9 ranked 2B in prospect world.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Absolute shame Ryan Wright has not been chosen yet. # 9 ranked 2B in prospect world.
    That's like being the 9th tallest midget. MI either need to be able to play SS to some extent or be uber bats who could survive in a corner. Most big league 2B start out as a SS at least in the minors. Guys who are strictly 2B are at a big disadvantage. IMO, Wright would need to have some outsatnding tool to be in the top 20. He's not a big power or speed guy, he has an OK average, but .280 with moderate power, average speed and meh defense in the low minors makes you a fringe guy at best in the big leagues.

Every once in a while, a guy like Marco Scutaro will defy the odds, but they usually aren't high on the prospect lists when it happens.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-27-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    He's got my vote until he's selected.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Turn Off Ads?