|01-25-2008, 08:01 PM||#1|
A Lost Ball In High Weeds
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dunbar, WV
Reds Caravan In Charleston WV - 01/25/2008
Just got back from the Reds Winter Caravan in Charleston WV. Here are some of the highlights:
(1) Reds are in the middle of signing Brandon Phillips to a long term Contract! (Phil Castellini).
(2) Dusty Baker said not to listen to the propaganda over the last two years of how he overuses pitchers. Judge him by the first twelve years he managed successful ballclubs. Went on to say he has always used pitch counts for pitchers, but all pitchers are different when it comes to how many pitches he can throw a game (hopefully none of our pitchers will be considered Kerry Wood or Mark Prior!).
(3) Pete Rose will have a LONG WAIT to make the Hall of Fame as long as Bud Selig is in charge and Petey keeps writing books and saying the wrong things (Thom Brennaman).
(4) Dusty said it would be difficult returning to Chicago to face the Cubs since he left there on bad terms (hence the last two years of propaganda).
(5) Volquez (sp?) has a very good chance of making the starting rotation. He has a changeup that he can throw anytime for strikes (Jeff Brantley). He has a plus fastball, changeup and curve (Gene Bennett, Reds Scout).
(6) Jeff Brantley said he was so bad at the Trivia questions last year because he was born in 1963--and most of the questions were before his time--this year, the questions will be about trivia AFTER 1963 and will be about pitchers (LOL).
(7) Freel says he is completely healed from his injuries and is ready to play ball.
(8) Ken Griffey Jr. is signed through this year and next and if the Reds want him back after that, they will sign him (Thom Brennaman). However, the new Ken Griffey Jr. field opening in Weaver park in the Spring of 2008 makes me think Jr. will be here for awhile.
(9) Although they cannot directly negotiate with him, the Reds have made it known to Barry Larkin that they would like to see him return to the Reds in some capacity when there is a "gap" in his career.
(10) Dusty stated that everyone (including the youngsters like Jay Bruce) would get a fair shot to make the major league ballclub.
Well, that is all I can remember (I really wish I took a notepad).
Anyone else feel free to add something if I missed it.
"I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
Last edited by shredda2000; 01-25-2008 at 08:03 PM.