Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

We've had a lot of movie discussions centralized into one location, but I've noticed a distinct lack of chatter about television on the board (which I presume most people own, considering how much complaining went on about George Grande's FSN telecasts).

Time to remedy that. Post here discussing shows you're watching, show's you want to recommend, and to discuss episodes of said shows.

I'll start with a huge disappointment: Top Gear - American Edition

I've been a huge fan of the original BBC "Top Gear" for several years now, and it pains me to report how awful the American version is. At it's best moments, it's a (shockingly) low-budget knock-off of the original and lacks any of the charm or sense of fun. The hosts of the show have absolutely zero chemistry with one another, and all of the witty banter that makes the BBC version so entertaining comes off as forced here. The only guy who feels "real" on the show is Adam Ferrara, and they don't let him do nearly enough. Instead, they've handed off the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" interview to this personality-less hack who spends the entire show with an annoying "Golly, I'm thrilled just to be here on TV" grin plastered to his face.

The show is just crap. If it lasts a full season and gets renewed, I might check it out again next year to see if they've fixed any of the problems, but until then I'll just stick to Top Gear reruns on BBC America.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

I'm not much into TV unrelated to sports, but I just heard HBO is making a series for the Game of Thrones series of books. If its done as well as most HBO series it will be amazing and win multiple awards from whoever it is that gives them out for television.

I have never seen BBC Top Gear, but saw an episode of the american version on my late shift the other day. Ididn't think it was that bad. One of the guys took an EVO to the top of a mountain and raced some skiers down it (snow drifting!). I was impressed. I'm big into cars and driving, the banter back and forth is not the deal breaker for me.

If you haven't checked out AMC's The Walking Dead do so immediately. I have watched the first half of the season (I rarely watch shows live, I usually DVR the whole season and binge).

Other than sports I watch very little prime time offerings on the major TV networks. My wife has finally got me to watch "NCIS" with her and I have enjoyed it, in part because I was a David McCallum fan 40+ years ago in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." We have also started watching "Raising Hope" which is off the wall silly.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I think WEEDS is the funniest show I've ever seen.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

The League has quickly become one of my favs.

I did watch 24, now House, Lie to Me, NCIS (but not NCIS: LA), and L&O: SVU.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

La Dolce Vita

current favorites..in treatment, breaking bad, the good wife

i agree, raising hope and weeds are both a hoot, rb and 919191.
    teach tolerance.

Big Band Theory is our personal favorite. (My wife sees old college friends-- I see our Academic and Beta Club members.

We're still watching Two and a Half Men and The Office wheeze by, along with 30 Rock. (That's a pretty smart show.)

Chuck has also been one of my favorites for a couple years and Walking Dead was great this season (though, just after this point, the comic got a little repetitive and I don't see how they can continue to hold a large audience's attention.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The League has quickly become one of my favs.
    I highly recomend this as well. it's one you have to watch a couple episodes to "get it" but I have watched them all atleast twice. They are on-demand now too so if you have missed any their free game. Paul Scheer's character Andre is absolutely hilarious, and Nick Kroll is great as Ruxin. When I first started watching this nobody that I asked about it had ever heard of it. Weeks later those same people were quoting it in public and naming their fantasy teams after it. I was a little conscerned it wouldn't stick but hopefully I'm wrong.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I love "Big Bang Theory" and "The Middle". I try to catch "30 Rock", "Parks and Rec", "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" when I can.

We don't get to watch a lot of tv though. I usually watch some Mike & Mike or Sportscenter in the morning for 5-10 minutes, and NFL games or Reds games.

"The Good Wife" has turned out to be a great show. I thought it would be a one-trick pony, but its got great writing, great characters, and a great ensemble cast and a multi-threaded plot line that is fascinating.

Love "The Middle", "Modern Family" and "Cougar Town". The latter has got the worst name of any show, but its turned out to be pretty funny. Another good ensemble cast, good writing, and oddball and goofy humor. Plus they drink a *lot* of wine.

Also love the AMC shows "Mad Men" (when does it come back?), "Breaking Bad" (up there with The Good Wife for best show on TV), and "The Walking Dead".

Edit: and re-reading this thread, I second RedBaron's endorsement of "Raising Hope". The most dysfunctionally funny show around.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 12-16-2010 at 11:09 AM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Walking Dead is great. Keep seeing it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I watch a pretty healthy amount of TV.

My favorites are Sons of Anarchy, Fringe, Friday Night Lights, Modern Family, Top Chef, How I Met Your Mother and White Collar.

I watch some other shows like 30 Rock, Office, Parks and Big Bang too.

I will also echo that The Walking Dead is pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Also love the AMC shows "Mad Men" (when does it come back?)
    Late summer, 2011.

I never miss an episode of Mad Men. I still watch The Office - and they have been showing the UK version on Cartoon Network early Saturday mornings as of late. Watched The Good Guys up through the (hopefully) season finale last Friday. I DVR Castle but my mind kind of wanders after the first 20 minutes or so. I've also watched the syndicated version of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I don't like it as much as some but I think it's pre-tty, pre-tty good.

Since I have DirecTv, I get to see the last season of Friday Night Lights on the 101 Network before it airs on NBC next year. Wonderful show. They have also been showing The Wire on the 101 as well. I can see why everyone said it was so good. I'm almost through Season 2 and I'm as hooked on it as Bubbs is on smack. Idris Elba was amazing.

Justified - with Deadwood's Timothy Olyphant - is coming back to FX in February. I'll also be watching V when it comes back in January, although that's mainly for my girlfriend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?