|04-11-2012, 12:20 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2001
Reds Top Prospects April 2012 Edition
It's baaaaaaaaack! The biggest question now is what to do with some of these guys (particularly the infielders) in the wake of the massive Votto and Phillips extensions. I'll offer my thoughts below and welcome yours...
GRADE A Top 25 Prospect in the game
GRADE B Top 100 prospect and major league starting caliber
1. Daniel Corcino RHP AA - the jewel of the system, he can take his time in AA this year and AAA next year. Even if he does well, no need for him in Cincy until 2014.
2. Robert Stephenson RHP (should be A) - Would like to see him spend significant time in Dayton this year.
3. Billy Hamilton SS A+ - I'd keep him at SS for now, but his future is likely at 2B (once BP is too old for the position) or CF
4. Didi Gregorius SS AA - Similar to Hamilton, his future in Cincy might be in 2B once BP out-ages the position and moves to 3B or LF. Like Hamilton, I'd keep him at SS for now to preserve optionality.
GRADE C Should have some impact at the major league level eventually
5. JC Sulbaran RHP AA - Could join the "B" group if he puts it all together in Pensacola this year.
6. Henry Rodriguez 3B AA - He should be a full-time 3B starting now. Could compete with Frazier for the starting gig in Cincy next year. Would like to see him in Louisville once Frazier gets promoted.
7. Yorman Rodriguez OF A+ - He needs a good year to get back on the map. If he has one, he could rise up this list quickly.
8. Tony Cingrani LHP A+ - Also a good pick to be a fast riser, as his debut in Bakersfiled couldn't have gone better. Could team with Corcino and Sulbaran for a three-headed monster in AA by the ASB.
9. Kyle Lotzkar RHP A+ - A great candidate for a bounceback year if he can stay healthy. Talent has never been the question.
10. Neftali Soto 1B/LF AAA - I would move him to LF immediately in Louisville, as he clearly doesn't have a future in Cincy at 1B. If he can't play OF, he will likely be dealt before next Opening Day.
ON THE RADAR (the next five)
1. Donald Lutz LF A+
2. David Vidal 3B A+
3. Kyle Waldrop OF A
4. Tucker Barnhart C A+
5. Ryan LaMarre CF AA
(tie) Sean Buckley 1B/LF A
KEEP AN EYE ON (too early to tell)
1. Gabriel Rosa 3B
2. Ismael Guillon LHP
3. Amir Garrett LHP
4. Sal Romano RHP
5. Jonathan Perez RHP
Thoughts? What would you do with the current infielders (Soto, H-Rod, DiDi, and Hamilton) given the Votto/Phillips extensions?
*Note I no longer consider Frazier a "prospect" due to his age and time already spent with the big club. However, I do think he could compete with H-Rod for the starting 3B job as early as next year (or sooner if Rolen goes down).
Last edited by Benihana; 04-11-2012 at 04:16 PM.