34. Royals (Santana)
    35. Reds (Choo)
    36. Rangers (Cruz)
    37. Indians (Jimenez)
    38. Braves (McCann)
    39. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli)
    40. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli)
    41. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli)
    Reds also are picking 36th as of right now if they lose out on Choo.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 12-06-2013 at 12:16 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

If Kuroda signs with a team in Japan, do the Yanks still get a pick?

I don't think so, but not really sure.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    That should move the Reds from 21 to 20, correct?
    Correct. There's a decent chance the Reds could be picking in the late teens. And that #36 pick could creep close to #30. An interesting question for the Reds is, if they lose Choo, would it make sense for them to burn that 1st rounder to sign someone (e.g. Granderson)? Technically it would be like moving back ~15 picks in order to pick up veteran help in the OF.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Correct. There's a decent chance the Reds could be picking in the late teens. And that #36 pick could creep close to #30. An interesting question for the Reds is, if they lose Choo, would it make sense for them to burn that 1st rounder to sign someone (e.g. Granderson)? Technically it would be like moving back ~15 picks in order to pick up veteran help in the OF.
    I do like the chance at getting Granderson and this would be a year I would consider losing a pick. It's a pitching strong draft and the Reds are in a way quite pitching strong from top to bottom as it is. Granderson, at a 4 year deal, would come off the books in time for Winker, Ervin, Yorman, and Hamilton to all be 24-27 years old. Prior to that in years 3 and 4 (2016 and 2017) he would also be platoonable with whoever is knocking on the door. I love the idea of Yorman's splits complimenting Granderson, for example. If Hamilton nose dives, we have OF depth as well. He's an energy guy and very well liked around baseball. With another comp pick coming in 2015, and some measure of return this year for Phillips, Hanigan and maybe Heisey, the Reds will still be in good shape organizationally. That's my Granderson campaign platform.

6. Likes:

M2 (11-26-2013)

1. Astros 17. Orioles
    2. Marlins 18. Yankees
    3. White Sox 19. Royals
    4. Cubs 20. Nationals
    5. Twins 21. Reds
    6. Mariners 22. Rangers
    7. Phillies 23. Rays
    8. Rockies 24. Indians
    9. Blue Jays 25. Dodgers
    10. Mets 26. Tigers
    11. Blue Jays* 27. Pirates
    12. Brewers 28. Athletics
    13. Padres 29. Braves
    14. Giants 30. Red Sox
    15. Angels 31. Cardinals
    16. D-backs

I don't see many teams from 12 through 20 that would look to sign a qualified FA, at least not per the rumor mill right now, which is early. But if the Yanks resign Cano and Kuroda, the Reds will pick 20th and 34th. If they lose their first round pick as well in this scenario they would drop to 33rd once their own pick was pulled.

I don't see many teams from 12 through 20 that would look to sign a qualified FA, at least not per the rumor mill right now, which is early.
    The Giants, Angels, Orioles and Nats are the mostly likely suspects. I could see one of those teams splurging for Jimenez. I could also see where the Royals pull a shock move for Ellsbury - not that I think it's highly likely, but that's a team that might feel some urgency.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

That's my Granderson campaign platform.
    I'm sold.

How about Beltran on a 2 year deal as an alternative to Granderson on a 4 in the same philosophy as above?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    How about Beltran on a 2 year deal as an alternative to Granderson on a 4 in the same philosophy as above?
    Not bad either as long as Bruce moves to cf and provides good d

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury

By Zach Links [December 3 at 8:41pm CST]

8:41pm: Ellsbury's deal is worth $153MM over seven years, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (on Twitter). That tops Carl Crawford's deal by $12MM.

7:31pm: The Yankees have agreed to sign Jacoby Ellsbury, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (via Twitter). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first reported that the two sides were closing in on a seven-year pact. It is believed the deal will top Carl Crawford's $142MM, seven-year deal with one estimate pegging the deal at about $150MM, according to Heyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    The 13 players who were given qualifying offers. Their former teams will be listed first and new teams last.

Carlos Beltran, Cardinals
    Robinson Cano, Yankees to Mariners
    Shin-Soo Choo, Reds
    Nelson Cruz, Rangers
    Stephen Drew, Red Sox
    Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox to Yankees
    Curtis Granderson, Yankees
    Ubaldo Jimenez, Indians
    Hiroki Kuroda, Yankees to Yankees
    Brian McCann, Braves to Yankees
    Kendrys Morales, Mariners
    Mike Napoli, Red Sox
    Ervin Santana, Royals

The Yankees will forfeit their first round draft pick #18 overall. The Braves will receive a First Round Compensation Pick.
    Updated with Yankees signing Jacoby Ellsbury. The Red Sox will receive a First Round Compensation Pick.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 12-06-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Article from Callis on next year's draft.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

The talent in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft will be more abundant than it was in 2012 and '13. There's a clear favorite for the No. 1 overall pick, something that hasn't recently existed, and there will be more depth than in any Draft since 2011.

"Last year was one of the weakest Drafts I can remember," a scouting director with a National League team said. "Last year was really weak in high school pitching, and this year there's some really good-looking high school pitchers. Last year was the weakest year I've ever seen in shortstops, and this year there are shortstops. It's better in almost everything."

Pitchers stand out in the 2014 Draft class, especially the right-handers. If anyone is going to knock Rodon out of the top spot, it likely will be East Carolina righty Jeff Hoffman, who devastated Cape Cod League hitters with his mid-90s fastball and his curveball the past two summers. Other college right-handers of note include Vanderbilt's Tyler Beede (a Blue Jays unsigned first-round pick out of high school in 2011), Louisiana State's Aaron Nola, Nevada-Las Vegas' Erick Fedde, Florida State's Luke Weaver and San Diego State's Michael Cederoth.

A half-dozen or more high school right-handers could factor into the first round, starting with Tyler Kolek of Shepherd High School in Texas and Touki Toussaint of Christian Academy in Coral Springs, Fla. Both need polish, but Kolek already hits 99 mph and Toussaint has the best fastball/curveball combination among prepsters. Luis Ortiz (Sanger High, Calif.), Grant Holmes (Conway High, S.C.) and Dylan Cease (Milton, Ga.) all can reach 97 mph with their heaters, while Cobi Johnson (Mitchell High in Trinity, Fla.) is more advanced than most high schoolers.

If it's not Turner, the first position player drafted could be Rancho Bernardo (Calif.) High catcher Alex Jackson or Clovis (Calif.) High shortstop Jacob Gatewood. Jackson offers plus right-handed power along with hitting ability and arm strength. Gatewood has the best raw power in the Draft, though there are questions about his bat and his size likely will dictate a move to third base.

In addition to Jackson and Gatewood, several other power hitters could slug their way into the first round. Roberson High (Asheville, N.C.) outfielder Braxton Davidson hit a 500-foot homer at the Tournament of Stars this summer. Indiana catcher Kyle Schwarber, Virginia outfielder Derek Fisher, Oregon State outfielder Michael Conforto and Cal State-Fullerton third baseman Matt Chapman have established themselves as bona fides at top college programs.

Want athletes? There will be plenty of those available, too.

Gainesville (Ga.) High outfielder Michael Gettys has the best all-around tools in this Draft, and Olympia High's (Orlando, Fla.) Nick Gordon is a pure shortstop with speed and a nice left-handed swing -- and they both throw in the low 90s off the mound. San Francisco's Bradley Zimmer and Lee's Summit (Mo.) West High's Monte Harrison are two more outfielders with all-around tools.

MLB.com's top 50 draft prospects.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...14/#list=draft

With the way prospects fluctuate, the list will change. But this does give depth, and write ups on each prospect on their list.

Aaron Nola would fit the Reds Leake/Lively/Holmberg mold. Maybe with a tad more upside than those guys (not by much) but also a very safe projection, which the Reds seem to like.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano

By Steve Adams [December 6 at 9:57am CST]

The Mariners and Robinson Cano are in agreement on a 10-year, $240MM contract, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link).

Reports from earlier today indicated that talks between Cano and the Mariners had crumbled after Jay-Z suddenly upped his demands back to $252MM when the Mariners were prepared to offer $225MM over nine years. The two sides appear to have reached a middle ground, with Cano's camp dropping by $12MM or so and the Mariners agreeing to add a tenth season at $15MM.

Turn Off Ads?