Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC football discussion thread #3

Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Not really. Everyone with a brain knows LSU is a much better team than Notre Dame this year. And Michigan State finally has its second quality win after the Rose Bowl. Unfortuanately for them, Auburn got its two quality wins before the bowl pairings came out, and if they get #3 on Monday there's no question who is more deserving based on the current system (or even the old system...although Auburn wouldn't have played FSU in the old system).

Now, if we had a +1 system in place, Michigan State would be playing the winner of Monday's game. But their redemption just came too late.
    Why is LSU superior? We have arbitrarily decided that if you have a brain you have to think that LSU is superior to ND.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This is a good argument.

I really don't see how anyone could say they had a better season than Michigan State.
    Two teams...identical records...One has the 20th toughest Sangarin strength of schedule....the other had the 56th toughest...

You do the math (and I'm sure you'll argue the fix was in and the calculus is flawed) but it's pretty easy to argue that Auburn dserves to play Monday night more than MSU does.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Why is LSU superior? We have arbitrarily decided that if you have a brain you have to think that LSU is superior to ND.
    128 computer ratings arbitrarily decided that LSU was significantly better.

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

But computers don't have brains?

6. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (01-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    But computers don't have brains?
    You got me there. I suppose a lot of Big Ten fans don't either.

8. Likes:

jojo (01-03-2014)

They also had Georgia very significantly better than Nebraska. How did that turn out?

You got me there. I suppose a lot of Big Ten fans don't either.
    I assumed that's what you were implying anyways.

They also had Georgia very significantly better than Nebraska. How did that turn out?
    And Baylor significantly higher than UCF. And Notre Dame significantly higher than Pitt. I'd like to find a rating system where the better team won all the games all year. It would be pretty impressive. Impossible, of course, but impressive.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Auburn damaged Bama. You were watching a wounded animal. It was kind of sad in a way.

Auburn left them tattered....a great white shark that can't catch a seal....a three-legged cheetah...Napolean with no mojo.
    McCarron and company didn't look all that wounded when they celebrated like a pee-wee football team on the long pass that put Bama up 16-14.

I was clearly watching an Oklahoma team that had a better game plan and superior execution. Oklahoma out played and out-coached Bama. Period.

It was a nice win for Stoops, pulling off the Bowl Grand Slam. Pretty cool. It was also a fun game to watch, though I preferred the Rose Bowl, which offered up some defensive fun as well.

GL

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-03-2014),jimbo (01-03-2014),Revering4Blue (01-03-2014)

They also envisioned a Georgia team with Aaron Murray. Does Nebraska win if Murray is the starter?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    McCarron and company didn't look all that wounded when they celebrated like a pee-wee football team on the long pass that put Bama up 16-14.

I was clearly watching an Oklahoma team that had a better game plan and superior execution. Oklahoma out played and out-coached Bama. Period.

It was a nice win for Stoops, pulling off the Bowl Grand Slam. Pretty cool. It was also a fun game to watch, though I preferred the Rose Bowl, which offered up some defensive fun as well.

GL
    You didn't see the tears in AJ's eyes?

Two teams...identical records...One has the 20th toughest Sangarin strength of schedule....the other had the 56th toughest...

You do the math (and I'm sure you'll argue the fix was in and the calculus is flawed) but it's pretty easy to argue that Auburn dserves to play Monday night more than MSU does.
    I compared Michigan State to Alabama.

It's impossible to know if Michigan State or Auburn is better - we will never know.

Someone else is talking about 2 quality wins being a benchmark lol I'm not sure you could have a better example of how arbitrary and meaningless college football's current system is.

I love college football very much, but it's so stupid at the same time.

This would be solved, at least a little bit, if rankings didn't come out until after something like week 4-6. Preseason rankings are horrendously dumb.

You see it in other sports every year - look at the NFL where many experts had the Redskins and Texans as playoff bound in the preseason. But in the NFL things are mostly settled on the field (only possible criticism being the unbalanced schedule) unlike in college football where 99% of discussions have to be theoretical.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

17. Likes:

Plus Plus (01-03-2014),Revering4Blue (01-03-2014)

Someone else is talking about 2 quality wins being a benchmark lol I'm not sure you could have a better example of how arbitrary and meaningless college football's current system is.
    I didn't say it was a benchmark. Simply that if you were comparing the two teams at the time when the bowl matchups were being set, Auburn had beaten two high quality teams, and Michigan State had only beaten one. Combine that with the fact that Michigan State's loss was to a team that is pretty clearly inferior to the team that beat Auburn, and I'm not really sure how you could have made a case for MSU at that point.

Again, if there was a +1 system lilke some have previously advocated for where you picked the championship game AFTER bowl season, MSU would look to be in VERY good shape to face the Auburn/FSU winner now.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

You didn't see the tears in AJ's eyes?
    He *sobbed* on the sidelines a while back when Bama *beat* LSU. He must have been near death that day.

GL

I compared Michigan State to Alabama.

It's impossible to know if Michigan State or Auburn is better - we will never know.

I love college football very much, but it's so stupid at the same time.

This would be solved, at least a little bit, if rankings didn't come out until after something like week 4-6. Preseason rankings are horrendously dumb.

You see it in other sports every year - look at the NFL where many experts had the Redskins and Texans as playoff bound in the preseason. But in the NFL things are mostly settled on the field (only possible criticism being the unbalanced schedule) unlike in college football where 99% of discussions have to be theoretical.
    There should be a 16 team playoff.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-03-2014),Chip R (01-03-2014),Gizmo (01-03-2014)

Turn Off Ads?