Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 75 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Heck, James Young wasn't even playing the right sport:

"We made a bunch of mistakes and LSU really got on top. We tried to go out there and do what we needed to do. We had way too many penalties. We just have to get better."

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-...012914aad.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Heck, James Young wasn't even playing the right sport:

"We made a bunch of mistakes and LSU really got on top. We tried to go out there and do what we needed to do. We had way too many penalties. We just have to get better."

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-...012914aad.html
    Maybe he was, at times I thought I was watching football. :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

WCS has been woefully bad for how many games in a row now?

So sick of the twins woe is me BS...

Randle cannot/will not pass out of the double/triple team fast enough...

I like Young, but goodness does he do some stupid stuff on the court...

UK is now something like 7-15 in away games since winning the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    WCS has been woefully bad for how many games in a row now?

So sick of the twins woe is me BS...

Randle cannot/will not pass out of the double/triple team fast enough...

I like Young, but goodness does he do some stupid stuff on the court...

UK is now something like 7-15 in away games since winning the championship.
    That's what happens when you don't have any upper classman leadership. Two years in a row like that and here we are looking, at best,a now 8/9 seed in the NCAA's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6. Likes:

WVRed (01-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That's what happens when you don't have any upper classman leadership. Two years in a row like that and here we are looking, at best,a now 8/9 seed in the NCAA's.
    I feel the exact same way about this. I really hoped the Arkansas game would be the kick to the stomach that this team needed and while it helps at Rupp, this team simply can't get it done on the road.

I really think UK's one and done method is flawed. Yes they have won a championship with Anthony Davis and MKG, but they also had senior leadership in Darius Miller. The year before that had Josh Harrellson and the 2010 team had the holdovers of the Gillispie era.

Cal's teams at Memphis also had more upperclassmen than what the teams are like now. Talent is nice but when your most experienced player is Jarrod Polson something is really really wrong. You need a veteran who can calm down the younger players who play like freshmen because, well, they are FRESHMEN!

I could type on, but this article from NBC sports sums it up a lot better than I could:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...tle-this-year/

Johnny O’Bryant got position anywhere he wanted it in the paint, post-doubles and help-side rotations were slow, and LSU was able to get to the rim on straight-line drives whenever they decided to put the ball on the floor. That never would have happened with the 2012 National Title team. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist wouldn’t have allowed it. Darius Miller wouldn’t have allowed it. None of those guys would have allowed it.

Instead of coming together and fighting through what was clearly an off-night, Kentucky looked like they splintered. There were the confused looks after every defensive breakdown. There was Cauley-Stein yelling at Kenny Payne on the bench. There was John Calipari, clearly frustrated, shoving one of the Harrisons to try to get him to move into the right position. Their body language was simply awful, to the point where it looked like those guys don’t even like each other.
    Did anybody else see Dakari Johnson take a tumble into the stands on a hustle play and James Young walking off the court while Anthony Hickey from LSU walked up to check on Dakari? There's a lot of chemistry problems with this team.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I feel the exact same way about this. I really hoped the Arkansas game would be the kick to the stomach that this team needed and while it helps at Rupp, this team simply can't get it done on the road.

I really think UK's one and done method is flawed. Yes they have won a championship with Anthony Davis and MKG, but they also had senior leadership in Darius Miller. The year before that had Josh Harrellson and the 2010 team had the holdovers of the Gillispie era.

Agreed on the need for upper classmen. Even in the rare instances where five freshmen are able to start at a higher level team, there is usually a little bit of productive tension from juniors and seniors forcing the freshmen to win the starting job and the freshmen banding together as a class to take over from the other guys.

From the outside, it appears as though freshmen coming into the UK program right now really don't have any individuals who have "earned their stripes" and can be reliable alternatives if the freshmen have to be taken down a notch either during a game or in practice.

The other problem is the relative lack of high RPI games remaining on the schedule. In a perfect world, Cal would know that he could sit a guy to teach him a lesson, even if it led to losing a game UK "shouldn't". But it's hard to make that deal when you might not have a chance to make it up with enough "quality wins."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

9. Likes:

WVRed (01-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Bracketology has UK at a 4 seed as of today...

The game this weekend @ Mizzou is absolutely huge.

Read something today that Cal is telling the twins they need a second season. Can't say I disagree.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Tend to agree with you guys. The "new lineup every year of one-and-dones" has become a bit of a negative cycle. Right now, if you are a sophomore or above at UK, you are one of two things:

1. A player who wasn't as great as a freshman as they'd hoped. Even if they're not annoyed you're still there, you've likely been recruited over, or are about to be.

2. A player who's just happy to be on the team.

So there hasn't been a clear path to the kind of veteran leader that other teams have, who doesn't necessarily set the world on fire as a freshman but becomes a standout as a sophomore or junior. It's tougher to lead from the bench.

Having said that, I think the next incoming class is maybe a little better suited to mesh with an existing roster. We'll see.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Having said that, I think the next incoming class is maybe a little better suited to mesh with an existing roster. We'll see.
    I was in Lexington a couple of weeks ago and read a column on a guard they have coming in next year, can't think of his name, that doesn't have the expectation of being a one and done. I think his size was an issue, as far as the NBA is concerned, but they think he'll have a big impact if he stays all four years in that he'll provide a much needed veteran presence.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I was in Lexington a couple of weeks ago and read a column on a guard they have coming in next year, can't think of his name, that doesn't have the expectation of being a one and done. I think his size was an issue, as far as the NBA is concerned, but they think he'll have a big impact if he stays all four years in that he'll provide a much needed veteran presence.
    Ulis. He's a definite 4 year player.

It's going to take a couple years to become evident, but Cal has already somewhat modified his recruiting strategy to incorporate 4 year talent. Willis and Hawkins from this year's class... There isn't a sure-fire one and done from next year's squad although Townes and Lyles could both end up doing so...

One and Done is fine, it's just gotta be the RIGHT one and dones and it needs to be supported with multi-year talent as well.

15. Likes:

IslandRed (01-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Read something today that Cal is telling the twins they need a second season. Can't say I disagree.
    Would LOVE to have the twins a second year. Guessing they would look like completely different players with a full year of seasoning under their belt.

Would also allow Cal to ease Ulis into high major college basketball instead of being forced to throw him to the wolves before he's ready.

Just to give our struggles a little bit of context:

UK has 13 NCAA Tournament wins from 2010 to now. No school has more. Kansas has 11, Louisville has 10. UNC has 7 (ouch), Duke has 11, Florida has 9. And oh yeah- Butler has 11.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Would LOVE to have the twins a second year. Guessing they would look like completely different players with a full year of seasoning under their belt.

Would also allow Cal to ease Ulis into high major college basketball instead of being forced to throw him to the wolves before he's ready.
    I really only see two players from this year's team who should go pro at this point, Randle and Young.

Would really make for an interesting team next season if that happened. I see Poythress and WCS going pro though as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Tend to agree with you guys. The "new lineup every year of one-and-dones" has become a bit of a negative cycle. Right now, if you are a sophomore or above at UK, you are one of two things:

1. A player who wasn't as great as a freshman as they'd hoped. Even if they're not annoyed you're still there, you've likely been recruited over, or are about to be.

2. A player who's just happy to be on the team.

So there hasn't been a clear path to the kind of veteran leader that other teams have, who doesn't necessarily set the world on fire as a freshman but becomes a standout as a sophomore or junior. It's tougher to lead from the bench.

I think Kyle Wiltjer could have been the leader for this year's team. Would have been a junior, would have gotten some playing time, and his shooting would have created penetration for the twins and Young.

I'm kinda disappointed in the shooting from deep from this team. Aaron Harrison and Young were both excellent perimeter shooters coming out of high school.

Turn Off Ads?