Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds are at payroll budget

Re: Reds are at payroll budget

He may hit .290 but he'll still only have about a .310 OBP.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds need to understand that if you put a good product on the field people will show up. The economy is bad, but people will come see a winning team. This is such a lame excuse to go cheap. I would have been okay with not spending money and going with the young guys, but the signing of Taveras makes the front office look like idiots. They overpaid for a non-tendered CF that is teh suck at getting on base! The also give 2 years to a league average reliever (Lincoln) that you should be able to produce from the farm system (hello Roenicke, Manuel, Fisher). This organization is a freeaking joke!

Upon reflection I think this would be the perfect time to throw out a 4-year, 40 million dollar offer to Adam Dunn. I know, I know the Dunn ship has sailed. He isn't coming back. Blah, blah, blah. Consider this: Cyndi Lauper once sang 'Money changes everything'. And, you know, Cyndi Lauper was right. Let's think this through. You are Adam Dunn and, if the rumor mill is anywhere close to being right, no team is breaking down any doors to hand you a pot filled with money. The word is out that you're looking at 5 to 8 million for 2009. And there is no real guarantee that the economy is going to get any better, meaning you could be in the same position next year. And you're gonna be a year older. Now I'll bet a guaranteed 40 (with a bunch of zeroes tacked on) dollars would look pretty sweet. 40 million would smooth over many a hard feeling. Don't you think?

Okay so maybe that is enough to get AD's attention. The next logical question would be something like 'What's in it for the Reds?'. That is a lot of money to be throwing around in troubled economic times. Yes it is. But as I see it there are two things that can happen: either the economy rebounds or it doesn't. Here's my reasoning on each of those possibilities.

The economy stays sour. Obviously this would be the worst-case scenario. But how bad would it be for the team?
    1) I think they have 2009 covered as far as salaries are concerned, but are merely being cautious. The Reds' worst fear has to be that they won't contend in 2009 and there will be plenty of empty seats at GABP in the second half of the season. Adam Dunn lessens this possibility. Having his bat in the lineup will lead to more runs being scored and more wins. That is without question IMO. The Reds need a bat like his in the lineup to be competitive.
    2) What happens if the economy stays sluggish from 2010 on? The Reds are actually well-situated there. They have Alonso, Frazier, Stubbs, Roenicke, Bailey, Thompson, Maloney, Dorn and others who should (hopefully) be ready to step in. Not all of them, of course, but probably enough to allow them to jettison some veterans and free up some cash. Weathers, Hernandez, Gonzalez and maybe one or two others will likely be jettisoned after the 2009 season.
    3) If push comes to shove the Reds will have to stop signing trash over the winter for a year or two and push some kids ahead. That may actually be a good thing.
    So, even if the economy stays bad, I believe the Reds can handle things budget-wise.
    The other alternative is the economy comes back to life. If that happens - YES! The Reds then have a player of value signed to a more-than-reasonable contract. They can then either keep him in the lineup or easily move him. It's a win-win situation.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-22-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    This is not good news for 757690 and his signature...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I still would double the bet if I could.

Anyway, I think you are right when you said that owner lied, but I am glad that he did. I would rather have the Reds focused on the future than wasting resources on an older big bat. This allows the team flexiblity to make a move midseason if they are in contention.

I am glad that Cast has seen the light and understands that with the Reds young core, a long term, build from within plan is best.

If this is the route the Reds are going, not spending any money, then I think it is time to dump the arms of Harang and Arroyo for more youth and hopefully talented prospects.

If Hernandez and/or Taveras have a good year, dump them at the deadline. Get as many young studs as you can.

Anyhow, with that said, ownership's attempts to say the media spun things out of context, in reference to "win now" is complete garbage. Looks like another year of sub-par baseball in Cincinnati.

They are pathetic, from top to bottom.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Really tempers my optimism for the upcoming year, which was largely based upon the assumption that we would be bringing in at least one big bat via FA. This blows.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

If Oakland,Minnesota,Colorado, and Milwuakee can be competive in a small market on a semi regular bais, why can't the Reds!
    PROVE ME WRONG, REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    If Oakland,Minnesota,Colorado, and Milwuakee can be competive in a small market on a semi regular bais, why can't the Reds!
    I think all those teams had managers who fit the talent a lot better, the young talent. Reds should have bought out Baker if this was gonna be the roster and found a guy who is known to be able to work with younger players. Let them grow up together. Dusty doesn't have 5 to 7 good years left I don't think.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I think all those teams had managers who fit the talent a lot better, the young talent. Reds should have bought out Baker if this was gonna be the roster and found a guy who is known to be able to work with younger players. Let them grow up together. Dusty doesn't have 5 to 7 good years left I don't think.
    Excuse me, I heard that with Dunn,Kearns,Boone,and Reese. -Where are they? Nowhere,that's where!- Dave Miley knew those guys in the minors and couldn't get them to play well in the majors.That's Horse Pucky to put it very nicely.
    Last edited by Carin4Narron; 01-22-2009 at 03:45 PM.

$71 million?

They could have added Manny and still been in the low to mid $90 range and more than likely guaranteed themselves playoffs for the first time in eons. Not many teams with a payroll under $100 million are making the playoffs these days, except for those like the Rays who put it together for one season with low priced guys hitting their prime and best years. Doesn't happen much.

For $95 million, they could have taken this city by storm. But they blew it once again.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    By the way, that puts the 25 man roster - what is normally considered "The Payroll" - at under $70M - not even at $69M by all calculations, even with the player asking prices on the Arbitration numbers from EE and Weathers.

I LOVE being lied to, repeatedly, by ownership.

"We are commited to winning"
    "Our payroll will be in the mid $80s(millions)"
    "a RH power LF-er is our #1 priority this off-season"

Good thing we have a $12M closer!

Good Lord.

I might have to seriously consider boycotting this team.

Right now the Reds are the car wreck on the side of the road that you just can't look away, but even rolling at 1 MPH, eventually you won't be able to see it anymore...

Is that the Jaws of Life being operated by DUHsty Baker?!!? That's like throwing gasoline on a fire...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Thankfully, noone else in that division outside of the Cubs looks to be very competitive this season. All have either suffered too many losses in the free agent market, or have done absolutely nothing this offseason. I think the Reds can leapfrog several teams this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    Excuse me, I heard that with Dunn,Kearns,Boone,and Reese. -Where are they? Nowhere,that's where!- Dave Miley knew those guys in the minors and couldn't get them to play well in the majors.That's Horse Pucky to put it very nicely.

They didn't have pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    If this is the route the Reds are going, not spending any money, then I think it is time to dump the arms of Harang and Arroyo for more youth and hopefully talented prospects.

If Hernandez and/or Taveras have a good year, dump them at the deadline. Get as many young studs as you can.

Anyhow, with that said, ownership's attempts to say the media spun things out of context, in reference to "win now" is complete garbage. Looks like another year of sub-par baseball in Cincinnati.
    I agrree with comment one. They won't be here when the young talent arrives anyway - at least one won't.

As to comment three, I think Bob finally realizes that his mad dash to the Owner's Wing at Cooperstown is encountering some serious speed bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    They didn't have pitching.
    Your point?

Turn Off Ads?