Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

I haven't seen this much angst over a Reds trade since we gave up Rob Bell and Todd Coffey when they were minor-leaguers.

Oh, wait ...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I'd be SHOCKED if Alonso sniffs the majors before 2011 after his performance (or lack thereof) this year.
    He'll start 2010 in AAA. If he hits well, he'll be up soon, if he's not traded.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

One of the best things about Scott Rolen?

He doesn't like Tony LaRussa.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I can't be objective here. Scott Rolen is my favorite baseball player of the last 20 years not named Larkin or Griffey. A good deal for the Reds? Maybe. But i love the fact that Scott Rolen is on the Reds.
    I really like Rolen too. I really hate that we weren't able to get him when the Cards did. I really want this to work, and hopefully the according moves are on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Don't agree. Don't get confused by the fact this trade looks like an exchange of third basemen. EE is not a third basemen; he is, IMHO, somebody for Toronto management to throw to the fans as a "replacement." The deal was about Stewart. No way we get a player of Rolen's caliber without Stewart being included.
    That's just it. We should have been shooting for someone above Rolen's caliber to include a top 10 propsect - this is not seven years ago. Rolen does not help this contend, because there is no way this team contends in 2010 - Rolen's $11M dollars should have been earmarked for a talent that could help the Reds 2010 and beyond. Rolen is just the kind of vet this team has no business extending, so only another mistake amkes him a part of this team in 2011 or beyind.

That makes his acquisition a mistake, his cost in talent and salary a waste and this trade very stupid. If Stewart was going to be dealt he should have been packaged to fill the hole at short with a young talent.

We are all protective of our 'core' players and 'quality' prospects. Over the years, who comes to mind that makes us wish we had held on to them?

I would ask as well...which trades did we NOT pull the trigger on because of not wanting to lose those high quality young players?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I really like Rolen too. I really hate that we weren't able to get him when the Cards did. I really want this to work, and hopefully the according moves are on the horizon.
    I don't see how they can add Rolen while addressing the plethora of other needs without significantly raising payroll. If this is the only move made then it will be a colossal failure.

They've GOT to move Arroyo and/or Harang. That'll give you a bit of payflex, but this acquisition is difficult to stomach for the Reds current payroll. Get us up around 85-90 million and I can stomach it a lot easier and buy more into losing a pitcher of Stewart's caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    That's just it. We should have been shooting for someone above Rolen's caliber to include a top 10 propsect - this is not seven years ago. Rolen does not help this contend, because there is no way this team contends in 2010 - Rolen's $11M dollars should have been earmarked for a talent that could help the Reds 2010 and beyond. Rolen is just the kind of vet this team has no business extending, so only another mistake amkes him a part of this team in 2011 or beyind.

That makes his acquisition a mistake, his cost in talent and salary a waste and this trade very stupid. If Stewart was going to be dealt he should have been packaged to fill the hole at short with a young talent.
    A healthy roster greatly enhances this team to compete in 2010. The acquisition of a quality LF/SS put them in a very favorable position.

Two big ifs....but that's not too far away.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    KC ~ I'm sorry, as I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. Scott Rolen is, and has been, a great player and we are certainly fortunate to get to watch him play. I'm looking forward to it, as well, and I'm not going to miss EdE much. I'm simply very concerned what this signals for the big picture, which I don't believe Walt has a grasp of in regards to this type of market. We don't have an unlimited budget, he hasn't cleared any payroll space, he hasn't addressed most of the areas of need since his arrival, and the breathing room for 2010 just got a lot tighter. Rolen will be utterly wasted if we return this same cast at SP, SS, LF etc...

The timing of it, the steep price, the failure to exert any leverage, the recent trend of Rolen's health and production all make it very dubious to me. Though, like you, I relish the fact that for a change we are actually adding an impact baseball player, rather than shedding contracts and waiting.
    I think Walt and Bob will be adding more good veterans going forward. Bob C didn't hire Dusty for three years to develop kids and then walk away. He had a timetable in mind and I believe we are about to see his attempt to win.

I can't vouch for Rolen's health but he is the type of winning pro this team needs. The price may have been a tad high, but anyone who thinks Bob C is going to sit around waiting for kids to develop for years and years is reading him differently than I do.

There's no guarantee that it will work, we all hope it does, but I think the attempt is about to happen.

Question for the angered fans that does'nt like the trade b/c EE got traded.

Would'nt you want to get rid of a player that did'nt care if he helped his team win or not? Yes EE has talent but the truth is that he was to lazy to show it here.I just can't understand why some are so angered at this trade.Yes we gave up a good pitcher in Stewart but thats the way it goes in MLB.What I fill we got acomplished today was we got rid of a player that did'nt care if he helped this team win or not.We now have a HOFamer that gives 110% every game b/c he wants to win.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Walt and Bob will be adding more good veterans going forward. Bob C didn't hire Dusty for three years to develop kids and then walk away. He had a timetable in mind and I believe we are about to see his attempt to win.

I can't vouch for Rolen's health but he is the type of winning pro this team needs. The price may have been a tad high, but anyone who thinks Bob C is going to sit around waiting for kids to develop for years and years is reading him differently than I do.

There's no guarantee that it will work, we all hope it does, but I think the attempt is about to happen.
    Then they should have gone all in. Rolen is a half-measure, especially when you consider our 2010 rotation isn't going to boast a guy with an ERA under 4.00, and that the offense will be coming a season where they boasted the worst offense in the NL. Rolen's a drop in the bucket, and the budget is already spilling over.

If we're going to go for it, we should have just made the deal EdE, Stewart, Roenicke, Bailey, Frazier and Heisey etc... and seen if we could have gotten Halladay as well. We then could worry about cutting payroll elsewhere later, as we HAVE to do that anyway. I think you will be disappointed ultimately, because I think these guys have ZERO intention of following through with the complementary moves necessary before 2010. We saw what they did prior to 2009, when a Dye and Escobar might have made a difference and were available... they punted.

We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Question for the angered fans that does'nt like the trade b/c EE got traded.
    yours is the first post I've seen in this thread that mentions anger about EE being traded for Rolen.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    We are all protective of our 'core' players and 'quality' prospects. Over the years, who comes to mind that makes us wish we had held on to them?

I would ask as well...which trades did we NOT pull the trigger on because of not wanting to lose those high quality young players?
    Ot's not a matter if holding onto every young talent we take a liking to, it's knowing which one's we should hold onto and getting value from the one's we deal off.

It's easy to be smug and say that prospects are over-rated and you should deal them by the ton to bring in major league talent. The Reds aren't fortunate to have the prospects to fill all their holes with proven major leaguers or the prospects to acuire them even if they did.

Fact is if the Reds if the Reds are to contend ny time soon, prospects and young players (along with shrewd veteran acquisitions) are gonna be necessary. Ths francsue will have to plan wisely and use their cash and young talent resources wisely. IMO, today's trade fails miserably on all three counts.

I think you have to let prospects get to the point when they are close to realizing their potential before deciding whether to keep or deal them unless the return in trade is can't miss - rolen is not can't miss and it does not help you going firther.

To me, guys like Stewart, Wood, Frazier and Alonso are about a year away from that keep or deal determination. Whether in the middle of the rotation or in the business end of the bullpen, I think Stewart has the potential to be a solid part of a major league staff.

A team like the Reds cannot afford to squander talent like that on a one-year rental like Rolen unlless they're on the verge. This team only verges on another decade of mediocrity and today's deal is a prime reason why.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

A healthy roster greatly enhances this team to compete in 2010. The acquisition of a quality LF/SS put them in a very favorable position.

Two big ifs....but that's not too far away.
    VR, how is this outlook not different from this past offseason?

Rolen could have been had cheaper then. A LF/SS could have been pursued as well.

We got Willy....and they locked down the evil, EE.

This is the same FO. I guess I just don't see the light at the end with this group of people making the decisions.

Scott Rolen is a band aid on a shot gun wound.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 08-01-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Over the last 5 years the only prospects we have had on the same level of Stewart is Bruce, Votto, Bailey, Cueto and Alonso so I don't know if we have really had much to go on in terms of similar types of prospects.

Turn Off Ads?