Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Re: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

I'm not joking. I'll jump. I'm a huge Rich Harden fan, and I actually have a cubs hat that I usually just abuse.

I hate Dustyball. I really, really do.
    Everybody loves a winner.

2. Turn Off Ads?

is there a cubszone.com? I could be the George Grande of Cub fans.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Hi and hello, TRF George. I think we'll be on the smiling side of the scoreboard more next year and you'll defer leaving .
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Sample TRF Grande post on "Cubszone.com"

Great game today against the Reds. That Joey Votto is SOME ballplayer, maybe the finest 1B in the league in only his second full year. Cubs lose a tough one today 11-2, but made it interesting late until Votto sealed the win for the Reds by snaring that screamer (check swing) down the line for the final out.

Here's a question. In as specific of terms as possible, how much closer does the addition of Hernandez bring the Reds to making the playoffs in 2009?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here's a question. In as specific of terms as possible, how much closer does the addition of Hernandez bring the Reds to making the playoffs in 2009?
    Closer, but still not close. They still need at least 1 more big bat (.875 OPS or better) before I can seriously start thinking about making a playoff run.

Wouldn't you have to measure the improvement against other teams' improvements?

What kind of microscope is really needed here? He upgrades the position pretty convincingly without hamstringing the team's attempts to upgrade elsewhere. Unless you want to argue for a complete rebuild -- which I believe you've done before -- I don't see how this kind of roster building can be seriously questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    is there a cubszone.com? I could be the George Grande of Cub fans.
    Gush about the Cards all day and that dreamy Tony LaRusa, then whine until they re-sign Jim Edmunds?

By himself, not all that close, but hopefully this move will be taken in context of a half dozen moves.

Like princeton noted, Razor Ramon might allow the Reds to field a primo defensive SS because he can hit 7th instead of 8th. What's the impact of that?

He didn't cost much extra money and the team didn't part with any top prospects for him, so Jocketty theoretically hasn't blocked himself out of making all those other moves. What's the impact of that?

He's a catcher with some sock in his bat. The value of that increases if you put a capable lineup in front of him, enabling him to collect more big hits.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    That's no lie.

TCF doesn't have the same feel as TRF though

(TRF by the way is short for transplantedredsfan, my handle, which was abused on the old Cincinnati Enquirer board back in '99)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    TCF doesn't have the same feel as TRF though

(TRF by the way is short for transplantedredsfan, my handle, which was abused on the old Cincinnati Enquirer board back in '99)
    Aha! I was wondering about that.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Winning's fun. I've now reached a point with the Reds where they're either going to win or I'm not going to pay attention to them (which I managed to do awfully well the last two months of the 2008 season).

I like baseball. I can just watch games and not get wrapped up in the fortunes of any one team, especially a dull team that's not very good.

What I'm saying is, if the Reds are going to sit around all day in that house frock watching their stories, then I'm stepping out.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Not enough to get me excited, but it is a start.

In addition, if the reports are true and they aren't taking on any additional payroll or giving up prospects of value, then there isn't much harm. They got better without likely hurting themselves in the long run. Win win.

This is different than the "improvements" of the past few years, where we would sign someone to a multi-year contract who everyone knew wouldn't get us anywhere closer to where we need to be without additional material improvements. Sure we need more than Hernandez, but even if they don't get enough to make a playoff run then at least he isn't around for additional years and millions.

Now, if they sign him to a 3 year extension, then things become different.

Winning's fun. I've now reached a point with the Reds where they're either going to win or I'm not going to pay attention to them (which I managed to do awfully well the last two months of the 2008 season).

I like baseball. I can just watch games and not get wrapped up in the fortunes of any one team, especially a dull team that's not very good.

What I'm saying is, if the Reds are going to sit around all day in that house frock watching their stories, then I'm stepping out.
    But after the facelift and boob job, you'll be back?

Turn Off Ads?