Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Three Top 10 draft classes that were recruited to play in schemes that are no longer being praticed.

If they fire Chiznik, I cant see any other coach wanting to go head to head with Saban in recruiting. They need to find an upcoming HC who doesn't mind being a 'Yes" man and they have to hope that Dooley gets a big game win. Cant see that many coaches choosing Auburn over the Tennessee job.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Three Top 10 draft classes that were recruited to play in schemes that are no longer being praticed.

If they fire Chiznik, I cant see any other coach wanting to go head to head with Saban in recruiting. They need to find an upcoming HC who doesn't mind being a 'Yes" man and they have to hope that Dooley gets a big game win. Cant see that many coaches choosing Auburn over the Tennessee job.
    You're funny. Frankly you should just worry about who will replace your coach this off season when he bolts for the Browns.
    Last edited by jojo; 10-18-2012 at 06:35 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'll be there in Nashville for the further demise of Chizik on Saturday.

Although, I hate the idea that Vandy is favored in the game. There's no way they shod be a 7 point fave.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I'll be there in Nashville for the further demise of Chizik on Saturday.

Although, I hate the idea that Vandy is favored in the game. There's no way they shod be a 7 point fave.
    This game could be the final nail for Chizik.

But on paper, Vandy is a good team for the Tigers to get healthy on.... Vandy hasn't ran or thrown the ball well and they've been unable to stop the run. Auburn shouldn't have to pass unless it's a play action for fun. In theory.

But Chizik has earned his hot seat. He's been unable to keep his his hands out of either the DC's or particularly damning, the OC's job. It's been particularly damaging on offense, where Chizik is clearly at his weakest. It was one thing to decide to switch from the spread to a pro set (a risky decision, especially since it is one of the hardest transitions to make, but not one that I think is indefensible). It's another thing to then hire a proset OC and then stick your nose in all aspects of his decision making. People are calling for Loefler to be fired but truth be told, if Chizik stays, he's probably lucky if Loefler doesnt leave. But he ran off Malzahn and Roof and I'm still surprised that he was able to convince Van Gorder to join the staff given Chizik's penchant for meddling.

It would take a minor miracle for Chizik to keep his job given the last 18 games. But Chizik is clearly building a strong program and he's doing it cleanly. But his decision to switch offenses and his achilles heel (inability to keep from meddling) has created a perfect storm in the short term. Whoever takes over in December will be getting a roster loaded with young talent (the early inside bet is Petrino/Van Gorder/Petrino as HC/DC/OC).

We'll see if Saturday is the first step in Chizik's miracle.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

It was one thing to decide to switch from the spread to a pro set (a risky decision, especially since it is one of the hardest transitions to make, but not one that I think is indefensible). It's another thing to then hire a proset OC and then stick your nose in all aspects of his decision making
    I'm afraid that is precisely what is happening. I base that on the fact that Loefler's offense at Temple, which was very productive, was actually a spread offense with Pro elements, not the other way around.

I do not understand why a HC hires an OC and doesn't allow the OC to run the offense as he see's fit. It was also, IMHO, ridiculous that Tommy T in '08 hired Tony Franklin--a spread/Air Raid guru whose offense has proven to be effective everywhere he's coached-- to implement the spread and expected a seamless transition from Al Borges West Coast offense.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I'm afraid that is precisely what is happening. I base that on the fact that Loefler's offense at Temple, which was very productive, was actually a spread offense with Pro elements, not the other way around.

I do not understand why a HC hires an OC and doesn't allow the OC to run the offense as he see's fit. It was also, IMHO, ridiculous that Tommy T in '08 hired Tony Franklin--a spread/Air Raid guru whose offense has proven to be effective everywhere he's coached-- to implement the spread and expected a seamless transition from Al Borges West Coast offense.
    These kinds of things are easiest to transition through when you're down because people are conditioned for some lumps.

But to be fair, 2011-2012 is the Tubby bubble where the sins of Tuberville's last two subpar recruiting classes would come to full bare. I think Chizik saw this as a chance to redefine the offensive philosophy. Malzahn was not going to implement a pro style. He's all about stretching out a game not shortening it.

But the biggest tell in hindsight should've been when Loeffler wasn't allowed to bring any assistants with him... I don't buy the argument that recruiting has to change substantially for a proset versus the spread but another flag shouldve been personnel as the Tiger OLine though very talented (actually these guys are going to be beasts) is very young. Also, their talented but inexperienced QB had never taken a snap in a proset offense in his life. McCaleb just isn't the guy to power the proset's requirement for running between the tackles. It's the perfect storm when you consider that Chizik is also creating a schizophrenic situation with his meddling ultimately making the pain much greater. It's inexplicable why Mason gets fewer carries as the game goes on. With the exception of the turds laid in the MSU and Arkansas games, every game has been winnable. Ultimately the fact that they weren't won is going to haunt Chizik as while the explanations for the results are legion, they all generally lead back to the HC.

In the end, Chizik's biggest mistake may have been overestimating the time he had in order to get these changes implemented. It's starting to look very likely that someone else is going to be challenging for SEC championships with his players.
    Last edited by jojo; 10-18-2012 at 08:39 PM.

I told you that you guys were gonna be looking at Bobby P, jojo.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I told you that you guys were gonna be looking at Bobby P, jojo.
    It ain't a fact until its a fact.

The administration's MO is to not address these kinds of personnel issues until season's end. A lot can happen between now and December. Nothing is a given. Obviously boosters operate on their own timeline and there is a strong undercurrent of support for Petrino.

That said there would be a strong undercurrent against his hire too and he is an integral part of one of the most embarrassing incidents in recent Auburn history. Besides, there currently is no coaching vacancy.

But ya, you're right that if Chizik gets fired, Petrino would be a serious candidate. He'd crawl through fire for the job that he's described as his dream job.

This weeks guesses:

Alabama wins at Tennessee- 24 10

Tons of mismatch problems for Alabama on defense vs Vols WRS. I expect Alabama to try to make this a short game.

Auburn loses at Vandy 6-3

Auburn might go winless in the SEC.

South Carolina wins at Florida 31- 30
    Gamecocks are better

Georgia wins big at Kentucky 56-10

Middle Tennessee loses at Mississippi State 35 -17
    Bulldogs last victory of the year.

LSU loses at Texas A&M 21-14

Only because its early and a day game.

You want to revise that SC-UF pick with Lattimore's injury situation?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    You want to revise that SC-UF pick with Lattimore's injury situation?
    What a brutal stretch in the schedule for SC. Georgia's schedule on the other hand is comparatively very weak.

Florida's method of winning games is defense, special teams, winning the field position battle, run the football and only throw the ball 8 yards. Their margin for error is very small. If South Carolina gets a 14 point lead, I dont see how they come back due to Driksel not winning a game with his arm yet.

I think the score is that high due to defensive TD's by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    This weeks guesses:

Alabama wins at Tennessee- 24 10

Tons of mismatch problems for Alabama on defense vs Vols WRS. I expect Alabama to try to make this a short game.

I doubt it'll be that close. Bray will throw plenty of INTs so Alabama can score 50

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    Just kill me now. How can we be so bad?
    Pretty bad. At least in the NFL you could look forward to a nice draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Unless something unexpected happens (injuries or Chizik implodes and loses the players), the Tigers are going to get much better each week.
    So which was it, injuries or a coach implosion?

Turn Off Ads?