Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dotel Signs with White Sox; Carlos Pena Gets Paid

Dotel Signs with White Sox; Carlos Pena Gets Paid

Dotel: 2 years, 11 mil
    Pena resigns with the Devil Rays, 24.1 mil over 3 years.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Dotel Signs with White Sox; Carlos Pena Gets Paid

And to think, we could have had Carlos Pena for nothing.

Oops.

A great pick-up by the Rays.

IIRC, it was Steel that campaigned for us to pick up Carlos Pena.

yeah, but what are the chances that he continues to produce for then next three years? Last season was like nothing he had ever done before.

I don't want to diminish Pena's great season, but that is a lot of money for the Rays. They may be regretting it in a year or two.

He has career numbers of .252/.350/.497, with the many of those at bats in a very unfriendly home park in Detroit. If he provides an .875 OPS while playing his great defense, he's a bargain.

Seriously, he went .282/.411/.627 last year over ~600 PA. You can't luck in to 46 HR and 103 BB. The power and discipline are real, he's always had them, and we just saw the best of what they could add up to. Yes, 2007 was almost definitely his career year. But, he can drop 100 points of OPS and still be an all-star.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-18-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Oops.

I was also a big fan of picking Pena up back in ST of 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ht=Carlos+Pena

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Oops.

I was there in agreement, but I wasn't alone and don't think I was the first.

And while I'm happy that GAB has allowed Scott Hatteberg to a productive LH platoon 1B while at home, I still lament that the Reds couldn't figure out that a guy like Pena had the potential to be so much more. I don't expect a repeat of 2007, but Pena never was a stiff leading up to that season.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 01-18-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I was there in agreement, but I wasn't alone and don't think I was the first.

And while I'm happy that GAB has allowed Scott Hatteberg to a productive LH platoon 1B while at home, I still lament that the Reds couldn't figure out that a guy like Pena had the potential to be so much more. I don't expect a repeat of 2007, but Pena never was a stiff leading up to that season.
    I haven't glanced back at the thread yet (I'll get to it in a minute), but IIRC you provided convincing evidence why it was a sound move to be made rather than the majority of us who usually say "We should pick him up" and leave it at that.

I still lament that the Reds can't figure out which guys are on waivers or FA (essentially free players since we only have to give up money to obtain, rather than other assets) that are actually worth picking up. Chris Shelton is very available right now and I fully think the Reds will miss the boat on him, when Shelton could prove to be a very good pickup and strengthen a 1B platoon, as well as the bench. I would think both of those reasons would be valuable to the Reds, but who knows, right?

I just wish the Reds would be more aggressive in picking up MLB scraps and seeing if they can improve our personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My apologies, you started the thread linked in this thread.

You were definitely first to the party and provided good splits as to why Pena would have been a sound investment for the Reds. It just frustrates me that we'll never know if the Reds even ever considered him, or just let him idly go by the wayside. If the latter is more accurate, then part of me hopes that Jocketty could change that culture in Cincinnati.

For those worried about the money if we had picked him up should remember we could have moved him for something near the deadline when Votto came up.

Eh well.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    For those worried about the money if we had picked him up should remember we could have moved him for something near the deadline when Votto came up.

Eh well.
    Or kept Pena and moved Votto.

Regardless, it would have given us options, something the Reds have been lacking for quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

Eh well.
    Heck, they could have signed him on a two or three year, very favorable deal.

Now, can we go back through the archives and pick up all the "I told you so's" bad recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Now, can we go back through the archives and pick up all the "I told you so's" bad recommendations?
    There were some who like this move:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=mike+stanton

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    My fav is still the Milton thread
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?