Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington signs Jason Werth

Washington signs Jason Werth

I'm shocked by this deal. I didn't see Washington going out and spending money like this. The deal might end up hurting them if they don't get help.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

terrible contract. 127 mill or something right? 7 years? he's a 31 yr old OF, his body wont hold up that long

It could possibly go down as one of the worst deals of all time. It will rival the A-Rod, Texas deal as far as wasting money on one player. Unbelievable. I'm still shocked. What this has done is ruin the free agent market for middle to small market teams. That's ok though. It will stop the Reds from going out there and overpaying for someone because now they can't even be in the ballpark on some of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    It could possibly go down as one of the worst deals of all time. It will rival the A-Rod, Texas deal as far as wasting money on one player. Unbelievable. I'm still shocked. What this has done is ruin the free agent market for middle to small market teams. That's ok though. It will stop the Reds from going out there and overpaying for someone because now they can't even be in the ballpark on some of these guys.
    i dont think it mattered for the reds imo. if the reds do anything, i think it will be in a trade.

Why did'nt they just resign Dunn?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Why did'nt they just resign Dunn?
    haha exactly

Hope he enjoys never being anywhere near the playoffs anytime soon, but a guy like that got away with highway robbery.....he can't turn down that kind of money.

In 3-4 years, once it sinks in that he's on a perennial loser, maybe he tries to force his way out via a trade or some sort of buyout.

and that is why they are the Nats. They are not big enough to spend that kind of money on a player like Werth.

BTW....anyone still think Crawford can be had for a reasonable deal?

In case you were wondering, that is rhetorical. As I have said all along, both Werth and Crawford will get huge contracts. Werth just did, and Crawford will soon. The Reds, in not way, can afford the contracts those 2 are going to get.

They spent "Good" Money on a "Bad" contract for Jayson Werth.

This team just doesn't make any sense.

Unbelievable There's no way they can afford to give all that money to one player and compete. Really bad deal.

Jason obviously cares nothing about winning. I could never play for the nats. Jason Werth was going to make a lot of money next year no matter where he went. He just desided he was going to be a part of a bad team and make more money. I feel he will regret this contract in a few years of losing 102 ballgames a season. This contract says all you need to know about Jason Werth.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

While I scratch my head at this, given the Draft choices this team has in their fold, could they be gambling the young guys will be ready sooner than later, and a successful Vet like Werth, might be a good investment to help facillitate rapid development?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    This contract says all you need to know about Jason Werth.
    I say good for Jayson Werth. If Scott Boras can get Washington to pay him $126 mil when nobody else apparently was offering more than $80 mil, of course he has to take the money. Anybody in their right mind would. I can understand your point about playing for a winner if the money is close but in this case it wasn't even remotely close so why would he want to sacrifice nearly $50 million?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    I say good for Jayson Werth. If Scott Boras can get Washington to pay him $126 mil when nobody else apparently was offering more than $80 mil, of course he has to take the money. Anybody in their right mind would. I can understand your point about playing for a winner if the money is close but in this case it wasn't even remotely close so why would he want to sacrifice nearly $50 million?
    The man already has a world series so I'd say go ahead and cash in. I'm not blaming Jason Werth at all, I'm blaming the Washington Nationals for being stupid and paying him that much when they can't draw more than 17,000 on a non Strasburg night.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

He's not werth it.

Terrible signing. Terrible contract. I would bet $1,000,000 this will blow up in their face. (But I don't have $1M, so I can't)

Why sign these guys for 6 or 7 years when they're already in their 30's? That's just plain stupid.

Turn Off Ads?