Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/13/10 - Reds vs Marlins

8/13/10 - Reds vs Marlins

Another big test tonight versus Josh Johnson (10-4, 1.97 ERA)

Reds lineup:

Reds Lineup
    Phillips 2B
    Nix LF
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Edmonds CF
    Bruce RF
    Hernandez C
    Janish SS
    Edinson Volquez P

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/13/10 - Reds vs Marlins

I had a good idea that Heisey was going to be the one messed up by Edmonds trade.

I'm sure people will try and convince me again that I was just hating and overreacting.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I had a good idea that Heisey was going to be the one messed up by Edmonds trade.

I'm sure people will try and convince me again that I was just hating and overreacting.
    Well it won't be me. Not sure why getting Edmonds opened the door for Nix?

I'm not sure Heisey is 100%. It looked like he twisted an ankle crossing the 1st base bag late in the game on Wednesday.

When did it not become a good idea to load the lineup with lefties against Josh Johnson?

Josh Johnson was a Carolina Mudcat in 2005 and was named the Southern League's Pitcher of the Year for 2005. He was 12-4 with an ERA of 3.87.

Maybe it is because Heisey struggles against good pitching. Check out his performance when he faces better pitchers. It isn't good.

High five!

Interestingly, over his career, Josh Johnson hasn't exhibited an extreme platoon split; he's simply been good vs. RHH and LHH. It's only this year that he's increased the hurt on RHH more than LHH.

I'm not big on Nix hitting second or Edmonds playing CF. I would be better with them swapping fielding and batting order positions though.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Maybe it is because Heisey struggles against good pitching. Check out his performance when he faces better pitchers. It isn't good.
    This is just going from memory, but Nix seems to have faired pretty well against the stronger RHP starters in the league this year as well

Laynce Nix can't hit either good or bad pitching over his career. I think I'll trust those thousand at bats or so over your sample size.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Laynce Nix can't hit either good or bad pitching over his career. I think I'll trust those thousand at bats or so over your sample size.
    But what does that have to do with Edmonds?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't know. I haven't broken down his ABs on film but the stats show a lack of success vs top pitching. A quick scan of names showed him at 4-24 vs "name" pitchers with

1 HR vs Wagner. Nix alone vs Oswalt this
    year was 4-5.

Going off that I'd say your theory is off. Maybe the team has seen him as completely overmatched vs guys like Johnson. I'll take their opinion on that matter.

Firstly, that sounds like a normal trend for any batter.

Secondly, how many at-bats does he have against good pitching? Like 50?

Hesiey in CF and Edmonds in LF helps the defense significantly (in CF without hurting LF) and probably improves the offense to.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

High five!

Interesting propositions WRT to Nix and Heisey and the type of pitcher they face.

Let's go to the tape!

NIX:

Code:

Split          G PA  H   BA  OBP  SLG   OPS
    vs. Power     28 30  5 .185 .267 .407  .674
    vs. avg.P/F   22 36  6 .176 .200 .265  .465
    vs. Finesse   39 77 26 .371 .421 .586 1.007
                   3  6  1 .167 .167 .333  .50
    HEISEY:

Code:

Split          G PA   BA  OBP  SLG   OPS
    vs. Power     23 29 .250 .345 .625  .970
    vs. avg.P/F   19 33 .214 .333 .393  .726
    vs. Finesse   25 58 .333 .397 .510  .906
                   5  8 .333 .500 .833 1.333
    Where:

Power pitchers are in the top third of the league in strikeouts plus walks. Finesse are in the bottom third of the league in strikeouts plus walks. Stats are based on the three years before and after (when available), and the season for when the split is computed. A split in 1994 would consider years 1991-1997 when classifying a pitcher.
    Last edited by nate; 08-13-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: cleaned up the tables

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Firstly, that sounds like a normal trend for any batter.

Secondly, how many at-bats does he have against good pitching? Like 50?

Hesiey in CF and Edmonds in LF helps the defense significantly (in CF without hurting LF) and probably improves the offense to.
    Defense is the flavor of the month. For all the defense talk, Heisey had a boneheaded play vs STL as well. I realize that he has become a fan favorite and I wouldn't be bothered with him starting, but maybe we can face reality and see that there might be a legit reason for him not to start.

Turn Off Ads?