Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Browns trade Trent Richardson

Re: Browns trade Trent Richardson

Cleveland needs someone who can give them a philosophy and identity. Someone who they can turn over the keys to the franchise to and have them make all of the decisions.

Mike Shanahan would be ideal for Cleveland. Would never happen, but someone who could build a franchise in their image.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Because he is smart, witty, entertaining, knowledgeable about sports and not afraid to ask hard questions?
    Yeah I mean say what you will about the rest of his work, but the guy can do a pretty good sports show. He's the best thing on ESPN right now along with SVP & Russillo.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It really doesn't matter what myself, or any Brown fan, thought of the draft AT THAT TIME, as far as any relevancy to the current situation.

Everyone knows that 1st round picks, even though players had stellar college careers, that it doesn't always translate into success at the NFL level. The list of names is endless. There is always a risk involved. But that is the chance every NFL takes, and basically have to.

I never "soured" on the drafting of Richardson. All I've said was that I understand the direction the new ownership, and coaching staff, are trying to take this offense, and that players like Richardson and Weeden, aren't the style of players that they feel will help them achieve that. They didn't draft these guys, and so they have every right, since the ownership hired (entrusted) them, to then build THEIR team in accordance to the scheme they think will bring a greater chance of success.

I like Richardson. I had no problem when they drafted him either. He was a stellar RB at Alabama and we needed a RB. My only concern THEN was that he did have an injury history. And he played hurt his rookie year too, and even had two broken ribs. And in the first two games his numbers weren't that impressive either. Now that wasn't all his fault, but again, I just don't think he is the type/style of RB that Chud/Turner want to build the future on.

And look at his numbers so far in his brief career. They aren't the numbers of a "elite" RB for sure. If the Browns thought TR was going to live up to their original intentions they wouldn't have traded him. He has a 3.5 yds/carry and only three 100 yard games. So maybe the NEW management felt his trade value would only continue to decrease over time, and trading him now would be their best opportunity to maximize his trade value? Possible? Only time will tell.

One can say that about a majority of NFL teams. A lot of times it's a coin flip with 1st round picks because, again, stellar college talent does not translate into success in the NFL. Look at the current number of highly touted 1st round picks that have failed or are struggling to the point the pundits, and fans, are starting to ask questions.

Check this article out on NFL 1st round draft history since 1995..... http://www.cstv.com/genrel/040805aaa.html

And here's another one. Go back to 1999 (when the Browns came back), and go up through 2008, year-by-year, and look at all the busts ..... http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...=round1#round1

So yeah, the Browns management is going to have to do their "homework" like any teams does by the way. But the Browns’ current brain trust shouldn’t be handcuffed by the decisions of their predecessors (who are gone for good reason), and maybe, just maybe (time will tell) should receive credit for being bold enough to make such a drastic move just 1 1/2 years after drafting/anointing Richardson as a key piece to their franchise’s future. But that wasn't the current owner/management.

The 2014 QB class has a lot more to offer then last year's. And while Manziel is getting all the hype, I don't know if he is the best, or even a 1st round pick. We'll see. He has his flaws as far as an NFL-style QB and chances of "elite-hood".

Teddy Bridgewater/Louisville (only a Jr though)
    Marcus Mariota/Oregon
    Tajh Boyd/Clemson
    Aaron Murray/Georgia
    David Fales/San Jose State
    AJ McCarron/Alabama

And there are others in the class.

And yes, the Browns will be in position to draft one. Who? I have no idea. Will any of these players succeed in the NFL? Your guess is as good as mine. LOL
    GAC, I owe you an apology. Your tea leaves were more accurate than mine. They had a shot at every QB in this draft but one. I didn't foresee them losing almost all their remaining games but that's what you have to do to get a top notch pick. They've played this very well. Manziel is a wildcard but at least things won't be boring up there. Basically they traded Richardson for Manziel. I don't think anyone would say that's a bad deal now

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    GAC, I owe you an apology. Your tea leaves were more accurate than mine. They had a shot at every QB in this draft but one. I didn't foresee them losing almost all their remaining games but that's what you have to do to get a top notch pick. They've played this very well. Manziel is a wildcard but at least things won't be boring up there. Basically they traded Richardson for Manziel. I don't think anyone would say that's a bad deal now
    After seeing T-Rich with a horseshoe on his lid, I would say the Browns made out like bandits!

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    After seeing T-Rich with a horseshoe on his lid, I would say the Browns made out like bandits!
    Let's give him this season before we make that call, maybe I'm an optimist.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

And, Haden gets more than Sherman, as expected...

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Browns signed CB Joe Haden to a five-year, $68 million contract extension through the 2019 season.

Somewhat coming out of nowhere to close the deal, the Browns have Haden locked up through his age-30 season. Per PFT's Michael David Smith, the deal includes a $14 million signing bonus and $22 million fully guaranteed. Another $23 million is guaranteed for injury. All of the figures surpass Richard Sherman's deal, which is actually a year shorter in length. Haden was a top-18 corner at PFF last season. Quarterbacks had a meager 75.2 passer rating throwing at the former No. 7 overall pick. The Browns got Haden some help this past weekend in the draft, taking CBs Justin Gilbert eighth overall and Pierre Desir in the fourth round.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    And, Haden gets more than Sherman, as expected...

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Browns signed CB Joe Haden to a five-year, $68 million contract extension through the 2019 season.

Somewhat coming out of nowhere to close the deal, the Browns have Haden locked up through his age-30 season. Per PFT's Michael David Smith, the deal includes a $14 million signing bonus and $22 million fully guaranteed. Another $23 million is guaranteed for injury. All of the figures surpass Richard Sherman's deal, which is actually a year shorter in length. Haden was a top-18 corner at PFF last season. Quarterbacks had a meager 75.2 passer rating throwing at the former No. 7 overall pick. The Browns got Haden some help this past weekend in the draft, taking CBs Justin Gilbert eighth overall and Pierre Desir in the fourth round.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Richardson is a healthy inactive today.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014...denver-broncos
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I basically thought Grigson should be fired for this ridiculous trade and I have seen nothing to change my opinion.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I basically thought Grigson should be fired for this ridiculous trade and I have seen nothing to change my opinion.

LOL........I didn't like it when it happened, and I sure as hell don't like it now.

11. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-11-2015)

And yet whoever made the decision by the Browns, which turned out to be brilliant, is the one probably already out of a job seeing as Haslam basically cleaned house last offseason.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    And yet whoever made the decision by the Browns, which turned out to be brilliant, is the one probably already out of a job seeing as Haslam basically cleaned house last offseason.
    It's amazing how many jobs Andrew Luck can save.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The pick was parylayed into Johnny Football, looks like a wash
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

15. Likes:

jimbo (01-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    The pick was parylayed into Johnny Football, looks like a wash
    Aw man, are you saying that if the Colts didn't have Richardson they could've had Manziel? It's hard to say Grigson should be fired when his team is about to advance to the AFC Championship. But I know, he could run Andrew Luck and a bunch of high schoolers out there and still win, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    Aw man, are you saying that if the Colts didn't have Richardson they could've had Manziel? It's hard to say Grigson should be fired when his team is about to advance to the AFC Championship. But I know, he could run Andrew Luck and a bunch of high schoolers out there and still win, right?
    I don't think he's saying the Colts would have picked Manziel but that's what the Browns turned the pick into. The Colts could have used that pick for someone that could help the team though. It was a terrible trade.

I don't think he's saying the Colts would have picked Manziel but that's what the Browns turned the pick into. The Colts could have used that pick for someone that could help the team though. It was a terrible trade.
    I understand what he was saying. I'm saying that a late first round pick is far from a sure thing (the Browns traded UP to get Manziel). You can argue that the Colts would have drafted someone more useful than Manziel but these are the same talent evaluators that thought highly enough of Richardson to trade the pick for him.

All that said, I think it's ridiculous to criticize the GM of the Colts at this moment. They looked phenomenal today.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-11-2015)

Turn Off Ads?