Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justin Upton Vetos Trade to Seattle Mariners

Justin Upton Vetos Trade to Seattle Mariners

The Mariners' quest to improve their offense took a hit when Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton rejected a proposed deal recently that would have sent him to Seattle for a multi-player package.

But even after this, Upton appears a short-timer in Arizona.

[snip]

The deal would have sent three or four players back to Arizona, according to CBSSports.com sources. Included among those players would have been relievers Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor, minor-league shortstop Nick Franklin and, likely, one of three minor-league starting pitching prospects: Right-hander Taijuan Walker, lefty James Paxton or lefty Danny Hultzen. The clubs discussed the possibility of a second player accompanying Upton to Seattle in the deal. The identity of that player, believed to be a low level minor leaguer, is not known.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/sc...mer-in-arizona

While I have made it no secret that I think Upton would be a very poor target for the Reds, especially at the cost that it would take to get him, it is very interesting to see that he is not only available, but that trades have been agreed to involving him.

Aside- I won't pretend to know anything about the prospects involved, so I hope someone can help me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Justin Upton Vetos Trade to Seattle Mariners

I can't blame him one bit. Parks like that should be outlawed. I know they changed dimensions, but you couldn't print enough money for me to hit there if I played baseball.

If we can't get Giancarlo Stanton than I would'nt mind making a run for upton eventhow it probably won't happen.I really do think if he would come here and this little park he would put up monster numbers.Yes he would strike out alot but still having 40 plus hrs and 100 rbis would be a great bat to have in the lineup.I would prefer Giancarlo Stanton thow!! JMO
    Last edited by WVPacman; 01-11-2013 at 12:44 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I can't blame him one bit. Parks like that should be outlawed. I know they changed dimensions, but you couldn't print enough money for me to hit there if I played baseball.
    Those three arms mentioned are as good of pitching prospects as there is in the game.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Those three arms mentioned are as good of pitching prospects as there is in the game.
    Nick Franklin is a top prospect as well.. Top 50 easy I think.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

So basically, 2 top prospects, and 2 relievers.. One of the top prospects a SS. Do they doubt the young Derek Jeter they just acquired? Franklin may best be suited at 2b anyway.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Benihanna breathes a sigh of relief
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Benihanna breathes a sigh of relief
    Yep

I said on another thread I believe this offer was roughly the Reds equivalent of:

Robert Stephenson, DiDi Gregorius, JJ Hoover and Sam LeCure.

The Mariners pitcher in the deal was Taijuan Walker (who roughly equates to Robert Stephenson).

I am happy the Reds opted for a lower cost solution in Choo, but I'd obviously be happy to revisit this next offseason if Upton remains in Arizona (Texas has bowed out of the process as well). Upton will likely come cheaper than as he'll be a year closer to FA, so maybe something like Leake, one of Corcino/Cingrani and a reliever would do it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I am happy the Reds opted for a lower cost solution in Choo, but I'd obviously be happy to revisit this next offseason if Upton remains in Arizona (Texas has bowed out of the process as well). Upton will likely come cheaper than as he'll be a year closer to FA, so maybe something like Leake, one of Corcino/Cingrani and a reliever would do it.
    Unless he has a big year. The Diamondbacks are selling low right now after his 2012 campaign, which is what's so confusing about their intentions...

I've been reading a lot of stuff about how this deal is still quite likely to happen and that Upton is using his no-trade clause as leverage for negotiating a deal with the M's once he's traded.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I've been reading a lot of stuff about how this deal is still quite likely to happen and that Upton is using his no-trade clause as leverage for negotiating a deal with the M's once he's traded.
    If I were Upton's agent, I'd let the Mariners deal die. Given the relatively low price (I am far from sold on Franklin's bat and Walker gives me an Angel Guzman kind of feeling), it's likely teams like the Rangers, Orioles and Yankees will swoop in.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Upton didn't want to disappoint Benihana.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Unless he has a big year. The Diamondbacks are selling low right now after his 2012 campaign, which is what's so confusing about their intentions...
    The Dbacks seem to be currently mismanaged, as the Choo deal demonstrated. Their top starting pitcher prospect for a glovey SS with a questionable stick and two middle relievers doesn't look like moves good orgs. are making.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Braves are close to acquiring Justin Upton

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...tin-upton.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

The main piece going to the Dbacks is Randall Delgado?!? Did Bowden take over as GM there?!? There's got to be a ton more going back to 'zona.

Turn Off Ads?