Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

But the problem is that to protect the football team, which is a member participant of the NCAA, the university at all levels covered up a HORRIFIC series of crimes. This was done for profit.

How again is what the NCAA did "kicking a regional economy in the junk", they get to have football, and instead of going 8-4 like usual, they go 6-6 or 5-7. The depravity.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm sensing there is a disconnect that organizations suffer consequences for crimes committed under the authority of that organization. Just like if a social worker commits some horrific crime that was covered up by the management of my organization would result in severe penalties to the organization, in addition to the individuals who were actually responsible. For example, innocent people could lose their jobs because funding is pulled.

That's the way it is with organizations--punishment can be corporate, both direct and indirect. Apparently that is a novel concept to many.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I prefer a better and more rational reason for a kicking a regional economy in the junk than "well that's just what you get, deal with it."

BS. It's not local business fault or the fault of everyone else at PS not associated with football that this happen. Screw the NCAA. We should just bring the hammer down on everyone else, why, because *somebody* has to get egregiously punished?
    By that logic, no organization that whose leadership engages in wrongdoing can ever be sanctioned because they provide an economic benefit to the community. Can't go after Enron, they're too important to innocent business owners in the community.

Beyond the obvious standing and waiver issues, I would argue that, regardless of the NCAA's monopoly status, it is a voluntary organization for which membership is not required for universities to accomplish their primary goals of education and research. Collegiate athletics is not essential to the purpose of a university. Penn State joined the NCAA to provide governance over intercollegiate athletics and therefore subjected itself to the possibility of facing sanctions.
    Personally, I think Penn State and the Commonwealth should be happy the football program didn't get handed the death penalty. They could have avoided those sanctions on their own by self-imposing sanctions. There are plenty of schools that have suspended their own sports teams for hazing incidents. A two year self-supension would have probably been appropriate.

One thought that crossed my mind is that it could be intended as a back-door attempt at clearing Joe Paterno's name by using a federal court as a forum to attack the Freeh report. But I think most jurists would probably throw it out on the standing and waiver issues.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post

One thought that crossed my mind is that it could be intended as a back-door attempt at clearing Joe Paterno's name by using a federal court as a forum to attack the Freeh report. But I think most jurists would probably throw it out on the standing and waiver issues.
    In that state? Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In that state? Maybe not.
    If it's in federal court, the judges are life appointments and if the judge has any connection to Penn State or the State of Pennsylvania, the NCAA is likely to request a recusal if the judge doesn't recuse him or herself.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

JoePa's going to get his wins back.

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/nc...bcs&ocid=yahoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    JoePa's going to get his wins back.

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/nc...bcs&ocid=yahoo
    So temporarily vacated wins?

This is not surprising I guess. At the time of the announcement of the Bowl ban, scholarship reduction and vacated wins this was big news and everyone got to take congratulations for being so tough on Penn St. Then the bowl ban and scholarship reduction are removed and now the wins are reinstated when no one is really paying attention. So whatever.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

9. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-17-2015)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Disgusting.

11. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-17-2015)

Penn State doesn't get it, and they hired a new football coach, who looked the other way at rape. They should have gotten the death penalty.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-17-2015),KronoRed (01-17-2015),Tom Servo (01-17-2015)

Actually, and trust me it's painful to defend Jimmy Franks, but by all accounts, Franklin handled the situation at VU pretty well, after the fact.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...144707271.html

He recruited the kids to school there. That's probably the worst of his sins in this case.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Football, money, records, wins....

All things more important than child rape.

Will anyone in this world ever pay a price for anything they do? Ever?

16. Likes:

Chip R (01-17-2015),Razor Shines (01-17-2015),Rojo (01-22-2015),Tom Servo (01-17-2015),traderumor (01-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Football, money, records, wins....

All things more important than child rape.

Will anyone in this world ever pay a price for anything they do? Ever?
    Are Sandusky and others from the office not sitting in jail?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

18. Likes:

villain612 (01-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Are Sandusky and others from the office not sitting in jail?
    So far, just Sandusky. Three others still
    Awaiting trial.

From the yahoo blog dabvu justt posted

The Tennessean reported that the court filing from Vandenburg’s attorneys claimed that Franklin had a “private meeting” with the alleged victim, but does not say whether the meeting was before or after the incident.

“Coach Franklin called her in for a private meeting and told her he wanted her to get 15 pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it,” the filing read.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    From the yahoo blog dabvu justt posted
    You'll notice who's alleging that... The alleged rapist's defense team. You think the alleged rapist has intimate knowledge of conversations his alleged victim had after the incident??? It's called the crap defense. When you don't have crap to defend yourself with, you try to crap all over everyone else involved in the situation.

The victim, herself, has never said a thing about any meetings or conversations with Franklin. The Nashville DA's office -- no fan of Vanderbilt University -- said Franklin did nothing wrong.

Turn Off Ads?