Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Re: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd rather a donkey violate my ear than the Grateful Dead.
    You know, I used to feel this way, but then a donkey...

No, really, I used to feel that way, but I've been using Pandora lately and they've thrown a couple of Dead songs at me that I've found palatable. anything that runs over three minutes gets canned, though.

And I like the shoegazers. heck, I like a lot of derivative stuff. I worship the Strokes, because what they do what they do so well (and what they do, to me, has always been perfect pop, pure and simple). If it's good, it's good, and a lot of that to me comes just from the quality of songwriting even if it's inspired by others. Some original stuff is awful. Case in point: the Fiery Furnaces. Burns my ears. But a lot of bands you mention -- String Cheese Incident, Simple Plan, Styx -- they're not bad because they're based on another. They're bad because they're just not very good. Their songs blow.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It seems to me the original always plants seeds for future suckitude. Mind you, aimless noodling is more than a seed, it's a full-blown forest of suckitude.

Anyway, the originals almost always turn into their own tribute bands at some point and provide an excellent blueprint on how undermine the foundation of what they've built.

I'd like to kick every member of the New Kids on the Block in the nuts and give mad props to Grandmaster Flash and the Sugar Hill Gang.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I'd like to kick every member of the New Kids on the Block in the nuts and give mad props to Grandmaster Flash and the Sugar Hill Gang.
    Also remember that it's a good day because there's no smog, no barking from the dog, and moms cooked the breakfast with no hog.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    You know, I used to feel this way, but then a donkey...

No, really, I used to feel that way, but I've been using Pandora lately and they've thrown a couple of Dead songs at me that I've found palatable. anything that runs over three minutes gets canned, though.

And I like the shoegazers. heck, I like a lot of derivative stuff. I worship the Strokes, because what they do what they do so well (and what they do, to me, has always been perfect pop, pure and simple). If it's good, it's good, and a lot of that to me comes just from the quality of songwriting even if it's inspired by others. Some original stuff is awful. Case in point: the Fiery Furnaces. Burns my ears. But a lot of bands you mention -- String Cheese Incident, Simple Plan, Styx -- they're not bad because they're based on another. They're bad because they're just not very good. Their songs blow.
    Oh I like many of the shoegazers, too. My point wasn't to slam them outright, but rather to say they're complicit in influencing contemporary acts of teen angst.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    They're bad because they're just not very good. Their songs blow.

I'm sailing away, set an open course for the virgin sea
    I've got to be free, free to face the life that's ahead of me
    On board, I'm the captain, so climb aboard
    We'll search for tomorrow on every shore
    And I'll try, oh Lord, I'll try to carry on.....

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Also remember that it's a good day because there's no smog, no barking from the dog, and moms cooked the breakfast with no hog.
    Word up.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Oh I like many of the shoegazers, too. My point wasn't to slam them outright, but rather to say they're complicit in influencing contemporary acts of teen angst.
    What these young 'uns don't understand that teen angst is supposed to be ohmigod heartbreakingly mindnumblingly soulcrushingly cry-in-the-closet BEAUTIFUL. Ride's songs are filled with sunshine and light and may poles, they just happen to be singing about how no one in the world understands them.

Wow, I am 80.

Everything old is better than everything new. Nothing is as good as it used to be.

Remember when Nirvana was just a mopey, mumble-mouthed 3-chord band stealing AOR airtime from the likes of Warrant and Aerosmith?

Another example of quick-turnaround culture-churn: Green Day and Blink 182 used to be the snot-nosed punks ruining rock music. Now their old stuff seems like classic rock compared to Good Charlotte, etc.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I'm sailing away, set an open course for the virgin sea
    I've got to be free, free to face the life that's ahead of me
    On board, I'm the captain, so climb aboard
    We'll search for tomorrow on every shore
    And I'll try, oh Lord, I'll try to carry on.....

It's impossible for me not to read those lyrics in Eric Cartman's voice now. Which is still preferable to Dennis DeYoung's.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    It's impossible for me not to read those lyrics in Eric Cartman's voice now. Which is still preferable to Dennis DeYoung's.
    Me too, and I agree.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The Stones ripped off The Pretty Things

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Stones ripped off The Pretty Things
    and the blues. Which is fine by me.

Honestly I don't think so. Music, even the same music, can be appreciated by so many different people in so many different ways.

Artist B may have been greatly influenced by Artist A. Artist C may also list Artist A amongst their influences. However Artist B and C may have drastically different outputs as a result of those apparently similar interests. Some of it could be in the subtle differences of their interpretations of Artist A, some of it could be just in overall talent differences between the newer artists, and some could just be the other differing influences (internally or externalloy) that drive the artists. But for those reasons I lay no blame at the feet of Artist A as the newer artist still chooses their own doing. They could do something great with a crappy influence or vice versa.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Don't forget all teh crap that can be lain at the feet of the Grateful Dead.

Other than that I generally blame Led Zeppelin for everything
    Sorry Pedro, I will have to neg you every day for the rest of my Redszone life for such blasphemy.

I'd rather a donkey violate my ear than the Grateful Dead.
    I'd like to change my vote for "post of the year" please.....

Turn Off Ads?