Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    If Daugherty's not impressed, then there's hope yet.
    That's true. Daughtery was never impressed with Dunn. So I don't think we can use him as a fair barometer of the return.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Again, this Dunn accepting Reds' arb offer is a fantasy on the level of: Cincinnati Reds--Central Division Champions.

Choose: Diamondbacks' offer or comp picks.
    Pretty much, yep.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Reds send Dunn to Diamondbacks
    Slugger hit 270 homers in eight seasons with Cincinnati
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- First Ken Griffey Jr. was traded to a contender. On Monday, the retooling Reds did likewise with left fielder Adam Dunn.

In the mode of shedding veterans lately, Cincinnati sent Dunn and cash to the Diamondbacks after Arizona put in a waiver claim on the left-handed slugger. The Reds received Minor League pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named later in a return. The two teams will split the remainder of Dunn's roughly $4 million in salary owed for the rest of this season.

"I had a great time in Cincinnati," Dunn said on Monday evening. "A lot of good things come to an end. I'm very excited about being able to play on a first-place team in August."

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty was traveling to the Dominican Republic and was unavailable for comment.

Dunn was playing out the option year of a contract that is paying him $13 million this season and can be a free agent this winter. Despite batting .233 in 114 games during a streaky 2008 season, the 28-year-old is tied for the Major League lead with 32 home runs and also has 74 RBIs, 58 runs scored and a .373 on-base percentage. He walked 80 times with 120 strikeouts.

Over recent seasons, Dunn was frequently part of trade speculation that only intensified as he inched closer to free agency. Despite his having a big fan in owner/CEO Bob Castellini, the club had made no indications over whether it had Dunn in its long-term plans.

Now people in Cincinnati can stop wondering.

"The decision of him not coming back next year was made long before now," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.

Nevertheless, Baker was disappointed to see Dunn leave town.

"It will be tough to replace his offense. It's even tougher to replace the man," Baker said. "I really liked Adam in the short period of time I was here. But one thing that I've come to realize in baseball, there are baseball decisions and sometimes there are business decisions."

Drafted in the second round in 1998, Dunn has spent his entire professional career in the Reds organization. In the Majors since 2001, he was Cincinnati's most tenured player for the team's 10 games since his good friend Griffey's July 31 trade to the White Sox.

The trade could give Dunn his first crack at playing in the playoffs. The Reds are 52-67 and entered the day 19 1/2 games out of first place in the National League Central division standings. Arizona is the NL West leader at 60-58 and holds a 1 1/2-game lead over the Dodgers.

Dunn's tenure in Cincinnati was often a polarized one. Fans loved the slugger that could hit tape-measure home runs but jeered his high strikeout rate, low batting average and lack of strong defensive skills.

Yet, Dunn was consistently productive and durable. He played in 160 or more games from 2004-2006 and 152 games last season. He's hit 40 or more homers and collected 100 or more walks the past four seasons. He's scored 100 runs and driven in at least 100 RBIs in three of the past four seasons.

"I have no regrets," Dunn said. "I spent my whole career here. I know it's a business and I understand it. I'm just glad I'll be able to play with a first-place team. I was 18 years old when I was drafted. A lot has happened in those years -- a lot of good and a lot of bad. I don't have any bad memories about Cincinnati. I never will. I definitely won't lose sleep over what happened. I'm excited more than anything."

A lifetime .247 hitter, Dunn's 270 career homers leave him fourth on the Reds' all-time list. The Reds will have their work cut out to fill the offensive void, short and long term.

During an off-day for the Reds, Baker would not reveal who would replace Dunn on the 25-man roster on Tuesday at Pittsburgh, but it's a good bet that outfielder Chris Dickerson would be the leading candidate to come up from Louisville.

Griffey's trade to Chicago for pitcher Nick Masset and Minor League infielder Danny Richar, marked the start of the Reds' moving of high-salaried players. On Sunday, catcher David Ross was designated for assignment so rookie catcher Ryan Hanigan could be promoted from Triple-A Louisville.

Since Griffey departed, the Reds are 1-9 and have lost six in a row.

"It was one of those pleasant surprises," Dunn said of the call informing him of the deal. "Coming off of a terrible series that we had -- and it's been a terrible month we've had in Cincinnati -- and I get a phone call today saying I've been traded to a first-place team. As a player, that's all you ask for."

The Reds decided it was best to move Dunn now with the hopes of getting some sort of return instead of letting him get away on the open market for possibly nothing. Had Dunn signed elsewhere as a free agent, the club could have gotten two high round compensation picks for next June's Draft. But compensation comes only if a player is offered arbitration, which was not a guarantee. Had Dunn accepted, he would have been bound to the Reds for another season.

Instead of waiting for potential Draft picks, the Reds went with what Arizona offered.

"We felt comfortable that this was a good deal, and we got three quality players, young players," said Reds assistant GM Bob Miller.

Buck, 24, was a key member of the 2006 Oregon State national championship team despite pitching through an elbow injury that lowered his Draft stock. The Diamondbacks selected him in the third round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft and he underwent Tommy John elbow reconstruction surgery last year.

After returning to the mound a couple of months ago, Buck went 1-4 with a 3.94 ERA in nine games, including eight starts, at Class A South Bend. He made one start since his promotion to High A Visalia and gave up three unearned runs over five innings.

"He's had 10 starts and has thrown very well," Miller said. "He's a battler to have pitched that long with a torn ligament like he had, so you know he's a bulldog."

The other two players the Reds will receive has already been determined and will be revealed later, Miller said. Other clubs also put in waiver claims for Dunn but Miller would not reveal which ones, citing league rules. Arizona was awarded the claim based on its having the worst record among the claiming teams.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Dallas Buck isn't even ranked in the Top 20 of the DBacks prospects.
    I'm

56 pages already, and I just heard about it. Oh my God. i was bummed about this team before, now this is just the end. I cannot do it.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Adam Dunn bats 5th or 7th. What's wrong with them?
    It's Arizona, not Cincy. No way, no how could AD have cracked the top 4.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Oh for goodness sakes. If Dunn is so "ill-thought of" then there's absolutely no possible risk in offering arbitration for a one-year contract. Worst-case scenario is that an intelligent arbiter thinks differently and gives the guy 15-17M. That leaves Dunn without a no-trade clause and allows the Reds to shop him throughout at least half an offseason and most of the 2009 season without constraint as to destination. And considering the youth on the Reds' roster, paying Dunn that amount for a single year is far FAR better than paying any number of crap players millions or even 12M to their closer.

Offering Dunn arbitration would have been a "no-lose" proposition for the Reds for the 2009 season. Worst case, you pay a potentially-tradeable player what he's worth and, best case, you have an extemely productive player signed at market value. Should Dunn decline arbitration this year, then you have the draft picks as compensation.

The only way this deal works out is if the Reds recieved a haul that is obviously more than what the comp picks would project.
    Giving Dunn $15-17MM next year would probably make Bob's skin crawl after he watches the team play from the basement for most of the season. That may have factored into the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I honestly can't think of one GM I'd desire more to have in the position of fixing the Reds.

I got a small scare there when they hired Bavasi because I thought it signalled Walt leaving. This changes that theory completely.

Wayne didn't blow up anything. Walt is.
    Through all of the angst towards losing an Adam Dunn, I really think some on here are losing sight of this very real, very positive aspect. Years ago, amidst the Bowdens and O'Briens, we all longed for a capable GM like a Walt Jocketty. Now we got him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    And now JoJo is stating that he has heard this kid isn't that good defensively, is that correct JoJo?
    He's not the type of guy that I think should push Votto off of first.

Platooning legitimately is alright but I'm so freakin' tired of jury-rigged rosters.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

An quite a few either do or at least increase significantly in value as they move through their systems (think trade value)...
    Reds are going to get 3 players, all of whom have already established value. And they've already been paid their signing bonuses.

A closer look at Dallas Buck
    Prospect from Dunn deal likely headed to Class A Sarasota
    By Kevin T. Czerwinski / MLB.com

Dallas Buck is a perfect example of how college coaches abuse their charges in order to win. He helped Oregon State to a College World Series crown in 2006 as head coach Pat Casey kept sending him out to the mound despite knowing he was hurt.

But Buck is a gutsy kid. The right-hander kept taking the ball and never complained. Now, the folks in Cincinnati will benefit from that "win at all costs" attitude. That's because the Reds acquired Buck on Monday along with a pair of players to be named later in a deal that sent slugger Adam Dunn to Arizona.

Buck, whom the Diamondbacks selected in the third round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, won his collegiate title, but ultimately it proved to be a setback in his professional career. He had been considered by many to be a potential first-rounder, but when the injury became common knowledge, he slid to the third round.

Buck, known for his ability to tolerate pain and his gritty performances, eventually succumbed to the right elbow injury he suffered at OSU, undergoing Tommy John elbow reconstruction surgery last August. He was 4-4 with a 3.41 ERA in 14 starts for Class A Visalia at the time, after having sat out the 2006 season in hopes that his elbow would heal.

Buck, who was 28-10 in three seasons at Oregon State, returned to action this June. He appeared in nine games (eight starts) for South Bend of the Class A Midwest League before getting bumped back up to Visalia. He made his lone start for the Oaks last week and lost despite not allowing an earned run in five innings to San Jose. Overall, he is 1-5 with a 3.55 ERA in 50 2/3 innings this season.

How long it takes Buck to regain the low- to mid-90s speed he consistently had on his fastball prior to the injury remains to be seen. He was still throwing in the high 80s last summer while hurt. Buck has a nice slider and changeup that didn't appear to be too affected by the injury. He will likely head to Sarasota of the Class A Florida State League.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

I like Owings if they make him an OF ... as a pitcher, blah.

BTW, I would actually be surprised if it was Owings
    Last edited by flyer85; 08-11-2008 at 09:56 PM.

Oh my god, he's had TJ surgery. This couldn't get worse and it just did.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    Oh my god, he's had TJ surgery. This couldn't get worse and it just did.
    TJ isn't what it used to be.

Bob Castellini, the Reds chief executive officer, said the team will probably pursue a free agent.

But the free agent class is somewhat underwhelming. Philadelphia left fielder Pat Burrell is probably the top outfielder on the list.

The list won’t be finalized until club’s decided what to do with players they hold options on.

“A lot depends on who’s available,” GM Walt Jocketty said over the weekend. “The free agent list is great. We’ll see who’s available in trade.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...PT04/308110067

Turn Off Ads?