Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: Lost Season 6 (Final Season!)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Lost Season 6 (Final Season!)

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I watched some of the special features and realized the writers themselves were as attached to the characters as the die hard fans were. So Imo this is why the last season and especially the ending is so character driven.

I think what kept many coming back to the show was the hope of the island and the theme of the show being more important than the characters.
    The show's producers/writers were pretty clear all along that it was a show about people, not an island. Ultimately, the island and its mysteries and themes were important and relevant only insofar as those things affected the characters.

Of course, there were a lot of hooks in that show, and people attached to it on various levels.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've been re-watching Lost the last few weeks on Netflix (haven't bought the complete series yet). It is a great re-watch and you pick up so many of the "Easter eggs" the second time around. I really can't imagine better television than the first season of Lost.

Yeah I think the thing about Lost is that if you watched it for the characters and just enjoyed the scifi as a side thing then you probably enjoyed it all the way until the end. If you watched it for the opposite reasons then you were probably irritated.

I thought it was great, but I watched the first five seasons in a marathon period right before season six. I don't know if I would have loved it as much if I'd watched it week to week. A lot of the dead weight episodes didn't bother me, because I didn't have to sit and think about them for a week or more.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The show's producers/writers were pretty clear all along that it was a show about people, not an island. Ultimately, the island and its mysteries and themes were important and relevant only insofar as those things affected the characters.

Of course, there were a lot of hooks in that show, and people attached to it on various levels.
    I always saw the Island AS a character in the show. It was spoken of as if it had a will and a purpose. This show did, undoubtedly, study the lives of the people on (as well as off) the Island. Still, the Island was why they were there and it motivated every character at some level. More about the Island should have been revealed because of that.

While I'm all for a good mystery, this series went on for 6 years...that's a lot of time for people to commit to something. More answers would have been good.

BTW, while watching the Oscar nominated film Winter's Bone, my wife commented that the actor in it looked like the guy who played Lennon on Lost. I could see it, but was doubtful. Sure enough, it was him (John Hawkes) and he was nominated for an Oscar himself as Best Supporting Actor.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I always saw the Island AS a character in the show. It was spoken of as if it had a will and a purpose. This show did, undoubtedly, study the lives of the people on (as well as off) the Island. Still, the Island was why they were there and it motivated every character at some level. More about the Island should have been revealed because of that.

While I'm all for a good mystery, this series went on for 6 years...that's a lot of time for people to commit to something. More answers would have been good.
    What all went unanswered?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    The How, What, When, Where, and Why? In regards to the island.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I thought I read somewhere that some of those things are answered on the S6 DVD set. I don't have any of them yet so I can't say for sure but I could have sworn there was going to be stuff on there that answered some questions.

BTW-Speaking of Lost actors, Josh Holloway is going to be on Community later this season although I don't know the name of his character or anything. I'm glad former Lost folks are all finding pretty good work. I LOVE Elizabeth Mitchell on on V (if you gave up on that show after the slow S1, then you've missed a fantastic S2 this year....it's been really great), Michael Emerson guested on something recently (The Good Wife??!) and he and Terry O'Quinn are doing a pilot for next season. Daniel Dae Kim is awesome on Hawaii Five O and I think Jorge Garcia, in addition to a small role on Mr. Sunshine, has a pilot lined up for next season too. I'm glad to see this because that cast is way too talented to not be working much.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Some of the things that I hoped to learn more about:

What is the Island's purpose? Is it really sentient?
    How did it bring people to itself?
    What was the deal with the objects in the cave with the plug?
    How did MIB become a smoke monster?
    How did the "rules" come about? How does the Island enforce them?
    Why did the Island prevent conception/births from taking place?
    How did the Island heal people? And why didn't it heal Ben?

Basically, we saw a lot of what the Island could do, but we never learned the "how", "why", and "for what purpose." The mystery was fun but since the series is over, more details would be great.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Basically, we saw a lot of what the Island could do, but we never learned the "how", "why", and "for what purpose." The mystery was fun but since the series is over, more details would be great.
    I see where you're coming from, but I also understand the peril of trying to give The Answer. Truth is, they could have made up any dumb half-baked explanation of What It Was All About, half the viewers would have loved it and half would have hated it, and it wouldn't have changed or advanced the story lines one iota. Everything in the show was filtered through the experience of the characters; they didn't know, so neither did we. Life's like that.

But for me, the "for what purpose" was answered clearly enough, even if they didn't stake a position on who or what the Darkness and the Light represented.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Talk about a show leaving you with a ton of unanswered questions... anyone watch Persons Unknown last summer? Wow.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Talk about a show leaving you with a ton of unanswered questions... anyone watch Persons Unknown last summer? Wow.

That was the biggest waste of time in my television life...followed closely by Happy Town...both of which ended with a cliffhanger! How can you end a SERIES with a cliff hanger????

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    That was the biggest waste of time in my television life...followed closely by Happy Town...both of which ended with a cliffhanger! How can you end a SERIES with a cliff hanger????
    You get canceled.

Turn Off Ads?