Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Friday 6/12/09 minor league updates

Re: Friday 6/12/09 minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    The two big things I was watching for tonight were Homer's split finger and if he could go into the late innings. The late innings goal was accomplished and the split finger was very very good. Homer is throwing three pitches these days. The fastball, the slider and the split finger that has replaced his change. He is controlling the split finger pretty well. He throws it for a strike and he throws it for a ball that batters will chase. A little more polish on that pitch and he'll be ready for the bigs.

I had a strong feeling that when Homer got pulled, the Bats would lose. I heard Kelch say that Jukich and Kennard were warming I didn't think either would get past the Columbus bats. Columbus has some serious hitting and especially the lefty Aubrey.

All in all, I really don't mind the loss with Homer's performance. Still I would have liked to see a little more offense to go with the pitching. As Reds fans, I think we all know that feeling.
    I saw a pitch at 88-91 and didn't know what it was. I though, thats too fast for a changeup, I thought he might just be slowing down his fastball, but its nice to see a splitter.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    Totally disagree, you don't improve your team by ridding it of 40% of its greatest strength which is starting pitching. Trading Arroyo and Harang is not very smart. They need to get to get Joey and Edwin back and they will be fine.
    You improve your team by trading from a strength to improve a weakness. That doesn't necessarily mean the Reds would need to trade 2/5 of their starting rotation, but if they want a position player who can make a significant difference in the lineup, they'd probably need to trade one of their starters since they're in such high demand.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You improve your team by trading from a strength to improve a weakness. That doesn't necessarily mean the Reds would need to trade 2/5 of their starting rotation, but if they want a position player who can make a significant difference in the lineup, they'd probably need to trade one of their starters since they're in such high demand.
    I agree that you trade from a position of strenght, but how often do you see a team in contention trade away starting pitching and the very starting pitching that put them in contention. We already have to hold our breaths on the days Owings pitches. Pitching is what is going to win for this team. I think if you pose what was the original trade move of both Harang and Arroyo to all of the MLB GMs, I would be very surprised if any of them thought this was a good idea. All you are doing is trading one hole for another larger hole, because we all know by now that the most important thing in baseball is good pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    I agree that you trade from a position of strenght, but how often do you see a team in contention trade away starting pitching and the very starting pitching that put them in contention. We already have to hold our breaths on the days Owings pitches. Pitching is what is going to win for this team. I think if you pose what was the original trade move of both Harang and Arroyo to all of the MLB GMs, I would be very surprised if any of them thought this was a good idea. All you are doing is trading one hole for another larger hole, because we all know by now that the most important thing in baseball is good pitching.
    Typically, when a team goes in 'win now' mode, they trade prospects. If the Reds want to go to the playoffs in 2009, there's no way I'd trade Harang or Arroyo. But if the Reds want to win in 2010, trading one of those two might be the way to go, depending on the return, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Typically, when a team goes in 'win now' mode, they trade prospects. If the Reds want to go to the playoffs in 2009, there's no way I'd trade Harang or Arroyo. But if the Reds want to win in 2010, trading one of those two might be the way to go, depending on the return, of course.
    Trade prospects now from deep areas to get a bat or two. After the season, deal Arroyo, etc. for prospects at positions that aren't so deep. Simple thinking IMO, not sure how easy it will actualy be to accomplish.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I just hope Homer doesn't shred his arm throwing that splitter.

Turn Off Ads?