Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery team in on Lilly?

Mystery team in on Lilly?

Could the Reds be the mystery team in on Ted Lilly? I sort if hope so. Hes a great number 3 to put behind Cueto and Arroyo and plus hes a lefty. A rotation of Cueto, Arroyo, Lilly, Volquez, and Leake would be great. Plus you have Wood who could share starts with Leake at the 5. That rotation would be sick.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mystery team in on Lilly?

I hope not, he wouldn't be enough of an upgrade over current options. Put him in GABP and he'd be average at best. He'd be a good option for the Cards.

Probably the twins.

and they will probably give up Kyle Gibson because they are nuts.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Upgrade. We want an worthwhile upgrade. Lilly is not a piece to our playoff puzzle.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Lilly would be a nice pick up, depending on what the price is, both in terms of players and money.

I think he's an upgrade over Volquez, simply because he's more reliable. He's lost some zip on his fastball, but has done well in a pitcher's park despite it. He's a very polished, smart veteran pitcher who can go deep into games, which would compliment the young guys in the rotation well. He also would allow the Reds to give Leake more days off, which would be very valuable in the long term.

But again, it depends on the price. He makes $13M this year, so he's owed around $4-5M the rest of the season. He is a type A free agent, so he would net the Reds two draft picks in the #15-70 range in next year's draft, so he should cost at least that much prospect wise.

I'd offer Maloney and ask for them to pay at least half of the money due.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Meh. Doesn't excite me.

Ted Lilly has allowed 19 home runs, which is good for 8th most in the NL. That screams not a good fit to me.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I think it is a fantastic idea. In related news, I am planning on starting a car racing circuit in which each car is only allowed to use 3 wheels. Not sure why the three wheels makes this circuit more interesting, but I just felt like I had to try something!
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I want nothing to do with Lilly.

So to summarize, the Reds will give away prospects to add a flyball pitcher that is marginally better than what we currently have as a #4 starter plus pick up his ugly contract and this is considered a good idea?

I am going to crawl way out on a limb here and guess the reds are not the mystery team

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    So to summarize, the Reds will give away prospects to add a flyball pitcher that is marginally better than what we currently have as a #4 starter plus pick up his ugly contract and this is considered a good idea?

I am going to crawl way out on a limb here and guess the reds are not the mystery team
    It's already been reported that they are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Ted Lilly has allowed 19 home runs, which is good for 8th most in the NL. That screams not a good fit to me.
    Yeah, but 6 of them were in one game against the Reds with the wind blowing out 20 MPH. Kinda skews things...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Yeah, but 6 of them were in one game against the Reds with the wind blowing out 20 MPH. Kinda skews things...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I don't think he gave up all six, but I didn't think about that. He's still a fly ball pitcher, who would be much better off out west.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Lilly would be a nice pick up, depending on what the price is, both in terms of players and money.

I'd offer Maloney and ask for them to pay at least half of the money due.
    Maloney is a poor-man's Lily, which is what we need. NOT the expensive version.

We have enough of a logjam at SP, I'm not trading for an at-best marginal upgrade at #3/#4 SP. Lilly's not going to get us over the proverbial hump.

NO THANKS!

IMO the only reason to acquire him is to keep him from going to the Cards, and maybe some insurance. I wouldn't give much for that at all.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

P.S. - So which of Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, or Stubbs has a comparable OPS to Dunn these days anyhow?
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I don't think he gave up all six, but I didn't think about that. He's still a fly ball pitcher, who would be much better off out west.
    Yah, I was being facetious...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?