Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets help Walt find a relief pitcher.

Lets help Walt find a relief pitcher.

Maybe we can give a few suggestions to old walt.So what do you guys Think? Who is available,and what do we give up for him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lets help Walt find a relief pitcher.

I'm hoping that Burton will be able to help by the end of the month.

How about Micah Owings or Carlos Fisher? Matt Maloney? Aroldis Chapman? Enerio Del Rosario?

This team has pitching talent. It would behoove them to use it.

Of course, the best way to improve this bullpen would be to fire Dusty and hire a manager who knows how to use the one we already have.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    How about Micah Owings or Carlos Fisher? Matt Maloney? Aroldis Chapman? Enerio Del Rosario?

This team has pitching talent. It would behoove them to use it.

Of course, the best way to improve this bullpen would be to fire Dusty and hire a manager who knows how to use the one we already have.
    Carlos Fisher is dreck.

I would like to see him use Owings more, but he'd already been used in the game today as PH so it wasn't an option.

The other guys aren't available for Dusty to use as they aren't on the team.

Firing Dusty isn't going to fix that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Carlos Fisher is dreck.
    I'll take Carlos Fisher over a 3rd inning of Mike Lincoln 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

I would like to see him use Owings more, but he'd already been used in the game today as PH so it wasn't an option.
    My bad, I didn't realize that. But if you're going to PH the guy and then bring in a long reliever, why not bring him!? That's right up there with Dusty's genius SD disaster bullpen management logic of using his last long reliever to get a save in extra innings.

The other guys aren't available for Dusty to use as they aren't on the team.

Firing Dusty isn't going to fix that.
    Obviously it won't. The point there is that we don't need to go outside of the organization to improve upon Mike Lincoln.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

As you point out RMR, this team has some pitching talent, but you've got to believe that the production is going to be dicey for quite some time. Outside of Lincoln, Cordero, and Rhodes in the pen; Arroyo and Harang in the rotation, this is a young staff. And some of that youth will never pan out. Today's game isn't Dusty's fault at all--it's combo of the defense flopping and the pitching getting a correction from the unworldly last couple of weeks. The staff is probably better than I thought it would be, but it's not THAT good. Lots of bumps lie ahead for them.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I dont see them bringing chapman up .He's a starter,and he needs to get used to pitching every 5 days.
    Other then that,I'am tired of rookies and some of the same old faces.(Burton)
    I want someone new.A 8th inning guy,a reliable dude who is GOOD NOW!
    I think it would send a strong message to the team,that we will get you the players you need to win.

Jeff Shaw.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by ddrone View Post
    I dont see them bringing chapman up .He's a starter,and he needs to get used to pitching every 5 days.
    Other then that,I'am tired of rookies and some of the same old faces.(Burton)
    I want someone new.A 8th inning guy,a reliable dude who is GOOD NOW!
    I think it would send a strong message to the team,that we will get you the players you need to win.
    I think Burton could really help if he's healthy. But seriously, too much is being made of the bullpen and this particular game.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Let's look at this another way. Maybe by some twist of cosmic fate, the bullpen blowing this game saved Mike Leake's career...and his life.

We all know how strong the power of tradition is around here, and the last Reds pitcher who started out his career 5-0 was Tim Layana. He never won another game after that. He also got decapitated. This is not the kind of tradition we want for young Mr. Leake to follow. I'll take him losing his next decision for him to not wind up like Mr. Layana.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    As you point out RMR, this team has some pitching talent, but you've got to believe that the production is going to be dicey for quite some time. Outside of Lincoln, Cordero, and Rhodes in the pen; Arroyo and Harang in the rotation, this is a young staff. And some of that youth will never pan out. Today's game isn't Dusty's fault at all--it's combo of the defense flopping and the pitching getting a correction from the unworldly last couple of weeks. The staff is probably better than I thought it would be, but it's not THAT good. Lots of bumps lie ahead for them.
    Yes, a good deal of blame belongs on the players themselves, FCB. But Dusty was the one who:"
    - Used Owings to PH for Leake but didn't have him come in to pitch when he was going to a long reliever anyways.
    - Had Lincoln to start a 3rd inning or work, despite the problems he's had going long distance historically.
    - Didn't even have somebody up to start the 9th inning (as far as I can tell) in case Lincoln started losing it.
    - Brought in Massett to try and stop the bleeding, even though it was his 5th appearance in 7 days.
    - Had Rhodes face Heyward and then pulled him for Cordero, despite the PH being a lefty and Rhodes being dominant against lefties. Dusty didn't have to make that call before the PH was named.
    - Left both Cairo and Cabrera in when Janish is the best (healthy) defender we have at both positions.
    - Started Cairo over Janish to being with.

I don't absolve the players themselves for their mistakes, but Dusty screwed that inning up about as badly as possible. His only job is to get the best out of his players, and he put a number of players in a position to fail today. As soon as things go the slightest bit off script, Dusty's lack of critical thinking skills gets exposed.

Dusty's biggest mistake was pushing Lincoln past two innings, but beyond that, let's be honest, those guys just spit the bit. You can't mismanage your way into a 7-run inning. IMO.

Mike Stanton's available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Just cut the dead weight that is Aaron Harang and Mike Lincoln. Masset needs to pick it up as well. These guys are weak links right now. They're consistently at fault for losses. Addition by subtraction
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Give Mike Lincoln a copy of the home game.

Turn Off Ads?