Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Least Favorite Vocalists

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Your Least Favorite Vocalists

I guess this one doesn't require much explanation other than, "Whose voice would make you jump off a cliff even if they were singing "Yesterday."

Geddy Lee- His voice is so distinctive that I distinctively can't stand it.

The other dude in the Goo Goo Dolls- Look: your music is bad enough without letting the guy who has no vocal quality sing lead vocals on two songs per album. If it's a clause in his contract, change the contract. Baseball players have went on strike for much less, Mr Rzeznik.

Boyz II Men- There are two parts to a Boyz II Men song. One is the part where they have to show us how good they are by singing at full strength all the way through the song. It's like hanging out with a body builder who flexes 100% of the time: we don't need to see your biceps through your dress shirt.

Then there's the part of the song just after the second chorus where they "take it down a notch" by speaking some romantic garbly-goo over a slow drum beat. The only good thing to come out of their music is this: If you want to have some fun, set up a karaoke machine, get totally loaded and start free-versing (in your worst Barry White knock-off voice) the first thing that comes to your mind over a Boyz II Men love song. Something like, "Baby, I'd love to cook up some french fries...get some salt and ketchup all over them....and eat them off your kneecaps..."

Johnny Cash's Recordings With Rick Rubin- With the exception of one song, I would like my money back. Cash is a great story, he is a legend, but I'm not going to pretend to like something because it won an award or because Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars. It's like the record company is asking, "Do you want to hear what Johnny Cash sounds like near death?" No, I don't. It took one listen for me to place the CD on half.com. It was so bad I'd place it on freeifyou'llpickuptheshipping.com.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-08-2007 at 11:37 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Your Least Favorite Vocalists

1. Any rapper
    2. Any pop singer who over embellishes. What I call the American Idol Syndrome. Yesterday I had on one of the XM Christmas music channels and they played one of my favorite Christmas carols being sung by Kelly Clarkson. She was all over the place on every other note. What's wrong with occasionally singing so people can sing along with it, instead of trying to impress everyone with all the things you can do. It's like a musical version of a figure skating routine where you get more points for fitting in more technical elements and achieving a higher degree of difficulty.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I 2nd the Geddy Lee.

Dave Mustaine also sucks IMO.
    Witty signature.

Axl Rose. The G'n'R cover of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" sound like someone took a cat in heat, put it in a sack with a microphone, and started swinging it around their head.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Mick Jagger and the lead singer of Boston.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

The "other guy" in Montgomery-Gentry. Please stop letting that dude sing anything. He's a bad Kareobuke singer in disguise. Same almost goes with Brooks and Dunn.

Geddy Lee is an aquired taste, methinks.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I agree with the bass player from the Goo Goo Dolls. He can't sing worth a lick.

My votes for least favorite... in no particular order.

John Lennon

Gweneth Paltrow

Michael Stipe

lead singer for The White Stripes

lead singer for The Strokes

Clay Aiken

that's all I can think of off the top of my head

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Clay Aiken
    I would file his singing style under "suck."

Big voice for a smaller guy, but his inflections (MWM could probably help me with the proper term) ruin for me any song he tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I would file his singing style under "suck."

Big voice for a smaller guy, but his inflections (MWM could probably help me with the proper term) ruin for me any song he tackles.
    He's got a really good voice, technically speaking. But he's all wrong for anything popular. He should be singing musical theatre, with the occasional foray into some of the standards. But that's where he should stop. The whole clay Aiken persona makes it hard for anyone to take him seriously. He's really made a mes of himself.

For me, one of my least favorite vocalists is slowly becoming Carrie Underwood. Admittedly, she's talented and part of my annoyance is the incredible over-exposure. But part of it here strained sound she has and the attempt to sound like Martin McBride. She strains so badly when she goes anywhere near her upper range, that I wouldn't be surprised if she's not singing at all by the time she's 40. I know how popular she is, but I'm just not the biggest fan of her style of voice. There's not a lot of depth there.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

the other person I can't stand that a lot of people mentioned as a favorite Allison Kraus. She's got such a mousey voice and sounds like a whining child, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

James Blunt and the lead singer from "Train" -- both of them could stop singing tomorrow and I'd be a happier person.

And just about anyone who sings falsetto Jamaican accents -- Sean Paul, Sean Kingston, Shaggy, etc. There was one Bob Marley, don't try to be #2.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    the other person I can't stand that a lot of people mentioned as a favorite Allison Kraus. She's got such a mousey voice and sounds like a whining child, IMO.
    That's bluegrass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

Johnny Cash's Recordings With Rick Rubin- With the exception of one song, I would like my money back. Cash is a great story, he is a legend, but I'm not going to pretend to like something because it won an award or because Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars. It's like the record company is asking, "Do you want to hear what Johnny Cash sounds like near death?" No, I don't. It took one listen for me to place the CD on half.com. It was so bad I'd place it on freeifyou'llpickuptheshipping.com.
    Johnny Cash was never a great vocalist, even when he was younger, but I found his versions of "Hurt" and "In My Life" to be very moving. His vocie is admittedly weak on "In My Life" but it sounded like a final testament of his love for June.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Calvin Johnson - Halo Benders

And whoever is the lead singer for Neutral Milk Hotel, that guys voice kills me.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    James Blunt and the lead singer from "Train" -- both of them could stop singing tomorrow and I'd be a happier person.

And just about anyone who sings falsetto Jamaican accents -- Sean Paul, Sean Kingston, Shaggy, etc. There was one Bob Marley, don't try to be #2.
    Love the siggy. I am a big fan of the FOTC.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?