Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AL/NL Triple Crown Watch

Re: AL/NL Triple Crown Watch

BTP brought up a great point regarding Infante that could spoil either of their bids. Pujols's Cards have also played 3 less games (after tonight...Pujols is 0-4 so far, should end that way)
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

There's a poll on MLB.com as to who has the better chance to win the triple crown... Pujols or Votto. Pujols is winning by a substantial margin.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    There's a poll on MLB.com as to who has the better chance to win the triple crown... Pujols or Votto. Pujols is winning by a substantial margin.
    The good news is no one w/ a real vote is going to MLB.com.

It's won with a Central title, and AT LEAST one leg of the triple crown.

A triple crown will win it....even if the team falls into 3rd place.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    The good news is no one w/ a real vote is going to MLB.com.

It's won with a Central title, and AT LEAST one leg of the triple crown.

A triple crown will win it....even if the team falls into 3rd place.
    Uuuuuhh....

Are you talking about the Triple Crown or the MVP? Because a Triple Crown will CERTAINLY win a Triple Crown.

By my rudimentary calculation Infante will fall quite a few PAs short of qualifying for the batting title. He'd have to average over 4.5 PAs per game for the remaining 35 games. I think Joey has the better chance...it seems easier to jack up your HR and RBI titles with a short hot streak than your batting average. JMO.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Uuuuuhh....

Are you talking about the Triple Crown or the MVP? Because a Triple Crown will CERTAINLY win a Triple Crown.

By my rudimentary calculation Infante will fall quite a few PAs short of qualifying for the batting title. He'd have to average over 4.5 PAs per game for the remaining 35 games. I think Joey has the better chance...it seems easier to jack up your HR and RBI titles with a short hot streak than your batting average. JMO.
    He's been batting leadoff for them. Right now, Atlanta's leadoff hitters are averaging 4.66 PAs per game. With 35 games remaining, that gets him about 163 more plate appearances this season, assuming health or not being lowered in the order. With 342 PAs under his belt, that puts him at 505 PAs or 3 above the requisite 502 for qualification.

Thing is, even if he's short by a few PAs, he wins the batting title if those additional PAs short of the mark, counted as hitless at-bats, would still beat out the second-place batter. So if he gets to 495, but adding 7 hitless at-bats keeps him first in batting average, he still wins.

It's going to be very close. Of course, even if he gets to 502, he still has to hang on to 20 BA points or so. There's no guarantee that would happen.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Thing is, even if he's short by a few PAs, he wins the batting title if those additional PAs short of the mark, counted as hitless at-bats, would still beat out the second-place batter. So if he gets to 495, but adding 7 hitless at-bats keeps him first in batting average, he still wins.
    Really?!? I did not know this. Huh...you learn something new every day. Thanks!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Really?!? I did not know this. Huh...you learn something new every day. Thanks!
    Yessir.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...ta_braves_blog

Even if he were rested or missed a handful of games and finish with 470-480 plate appearances, he could still win the batting title provided he keeps his average significantly higher than the other leaders.

A rule allows for a shortage of plate appearances (fewer than 502) to be made up as hitless at-bats for a player whose average would contend for the batting title. So if Infante were to hit .340 in 480 plate appearances, for statistical purposes an 0-for-22 could be added to his totals and his average adjusted down.

Under such a scenario, he could win the batting title if he continues his sizzling pace, or even if he cools off some.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Here's to Joey Votto adding this weekend to his career .281-16-38 career line against the Cubs in 189 plate appearances. Yes, 16 homers in 189 PAs.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Joey Votto = Cub Killer
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Uuuuuhh....

MVP.

Yes....a triple crown gets you an MVP, no matter where your team finishes

If production for Votto and Pujols remains fairly equal.....a Central title should get you an MVP, as long as the other player doesn't win the triple crown, hence, the need to lead at least one leg of the triple crown.

So help me if Omar freaking Infante actually gets enough plate appearances to screw up the entire NL Triple Crown chase right at the end of the year. :thumbdown As a baseball fan in general, not just a Reds fan rooting for Joey, that just annoys the heck out of me that he may squeak in there and get just enough PAs to win the batting title and mess up a potential TC. I think that the amount of PAs should be way high enough that a part time player really can't win it (that may just be my opinion though). The Reds making the post season would definitely help make it not as annoying but it would still bug me a little. It's kind of like a horse coming out of nowhere to win the Belmont when another one won both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness to set up their chance at the Triple Crown (and I hope I have that race order right, LOL).
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    So help me if Omar freaking Infante actually gets enough plate appearances to screw up the entire NL Triple Crown chase right at the end of the year. :thumbdown As a baseball fan in general, not just a Reds fan rooting for Joey, that just annoys the heck out of me that he may squeak in there and get just enough PAs to win the batting title and mess up a potential TC. I think that the amount of PAs should be way high enough that a part time player really can't win it (that may just be my opinion though). The Reds making the post season would definitely help make it not as annoying but it would still bug me a little. It's kind of like a horse coming out of nowhere to win the Belmont when another one won both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness to set up their chance at the Triple Crown (and I hope I have that race order right, LOL).
    To get 500 PA's and lead the league in BA should be awarded. Not to mention that if he doesn't get there, you can tack on the number of at bats he would need to qualify, and consider them all hitless at bats, he would still win the title. As much as I'd love to see Joey win it, it's not like Infante hasn't earned it.

3.1 PA's per game is hardly a "part time" player.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    To get 500 PA's and lead the league in BA should be awarded. Not to mention that if he doesn't get there, you can tack on the number of at bats he would need to qualify, and consider them all hitless at bats, he would still win the title. As much as I'd love to see Joey win it, it's not like Infante hasn't earned it.

3.1 PA's per game is hardly a "part time" player.
    IIRC, he's only getting the at bats now because of Chipper's injury. I don't think he'd be playing as much if that hadn't happened a few weeks ago. I understand that the PAs are set and all and I'm not saying he wouldn't deserve it happens but it still annoys me. Sorry, LOL :

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    IIRC, he's only getting the at bats now because of Chipper's injury. I don't think he'd be playing as much if that hadn't happened a few weeks ago. I understand that the PAs are set and all and I'm not saying he wouldn't deserve it happens but it still annoys me. Sorry, LOL :
    Even if he's only getting at bats because of Chippers injury, if he has 500 PA's and hits .350ish, I think he totally deserves the batting title. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    MVP.

Yes....a triple crown gets you an MVP, no matter where your team finishes

If production for Votto and Pujols remains fairly equal.....a Central title should get you an MVP, as long as the other player doesn't win the triple crown, hence, the need to lead at least one leg of the triple crown.
    While I agree that the triple crown winner (if there is one) will probably win the MVP, that hasn't always been the case. Chuck Klein in 1933, Lou Gehrig in 1934 and Ted Williams in both 1942 and 1947 won triple crowns without also being named MVP.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?