Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else get a little disappointed when Chapman doesn't pitch?

Does anyone else get a little disappointed when Chapman doesn't pitch?

Now don't take what I am saying too literally, I am always pleased when the Reds have a big lead and can let LeClure or Simon finish it up, but I really can't remember a pitcher that gets me as excited as A.C. I absolutely love it when we have a 1 or 2 run lead in the 9th and A.C comes in.

I don't remember a pitcher ever as dominant as our closer, and I really hope the Reds keep him as their closer for years.

Honestly I am less excited when the Reds have a big lead versus a small lead late in the game.

It's so much fun looking at the fools whiff on 3 or 4 pitches when The Flamethrower is in there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does anyone else get a little disappointed when Chapman doesn't pitch?

i agree hes probably my favorite player to watch.

I will take a big lead over a small lead anyday. I love watching Chapman, but I would rather be assured a win than going into the 9th with a 1 run lead knowing 1 swing could tie the game.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

In my biased opinion, he's the most exciting professional athlete in the world.

Maybe there is a case that Usain Bolt is while the olympics are on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    I will take a big lead over a small lead anyday. I love watching Chapman, but I would rather be assured a win than going into the 9th with a 1 run lead knowing 1 swing could tie the game.
    Same here, I always want at least a 2 or 3 run lead going into the 9th. I love watching Chapman also, but let him get his saves with a 3 run lead. I'm never comfortable with a 1 run lead.

While at the Saturday game in Chicago I had multiple Cubs fans ask me if Chapman was going to pitch. I answered, "As long as we're up by 3 or less in the 9th "

Sure enough he took off his sweatshirt in the top of the 9th and warmed up in front of our section. Not only Reds fans want to watch this guy on the mound. He's THAT exciting to watch.

If we're losing and he doesn't pitch, that's okay. If we're winning by any amount and he doesn't come out, it's kinda like an "aw shucks" kinda feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    While at the Saturday game in Chicago I had multiple Cubs fans ask me if Chapman was going to pitch. I answered, "As long as we're up by 3 or less in the 9th "

Sure enough he took off his sweatshirt in the top of the 9th and warmed up in front of our section. Not only Reds fans want to watch this guy on the mound. He's THAT exciting to watch.

If we're losing and he doesn't pitch, that's okay. If we're winning by any amount and he doesn't come out, it's kinda like an "aw shucks" kinda feeling.
    Wow, Cubs fans must be pretty dumb (likely the case)... or simply not watch baseball

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post

EXACTLY! Obviously I'd rather win than lose, and there is little that's more annoying then when a closer blows the game, but I honestly never even feel like Chapman will do that (even though I know it happens sometimes). He is that dominant. I do get nervous when the inning gets extended and Chapman has guys on, because he doesn't seem like the kinda guy that has a great pick off throw. And I think he is at his best in small doses, hence why I think it would be a bad idea to make him a SP. I mean he is the best closer in baseball right now. I'm sure someone could show me some stats, i.e blown saves, to dispute this statement, but Chapman is a guy where all you need to do is watch him pitch. THE BEST CLOSER HANDS DOWN! I don't think there are too many other closers today that put the fear in people's hearts like our man Aroldis.

We are very fortunate he loves the wishbone C (that was a huge reason he signed with us)!
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 08-17-2012 at 06:23 PM.

One word that should end all arguments among "who is the best closer in baseball": strikeouts.

There are plenty that can be considered the best but no one comes close to the strikeout power and capabilities as Aroldis Chapman.

I absolutely am. The energy when he comes out is one of the most exciting things in baseball. It truly is unbelievable and I've been fortunate enough to see him pitch 5-6 times this year. It never gets old.

Just love to watch him!!! I think of the times I was sick to my stomach when Codero was here & now I'm so relaxed...I always thought the Yankees were so lucky to have Rivera...There was no way to beat him....Reds will make a big mistake to make him a starter & risk that 'Golden Arm'!!! Love Chapman!!

What's so much fun about Chappy is actually rooting for the Reds not to score in the late innings so he might come in to save. At least I do.

His delivery is so unique with those long legs, his long stride is ridiculous. That ball is straight as an arrow but it must look like 106 coming in there. When he throws 101, it must look like 110. Scary stuff.

Also this vid is interesting: Sport Science: Aroldis Chapman - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    What's so much fun about Chappy is actually rooting for the Reds not to score in the late innings so he might come in to save. At least I do.

His delivery is so unique with those long legs, his long stride is ridiculous. That ball is straight as an arrow but it must look like 106 coming in there. When he throws 101, it must look like 110. Scary stuff.

Also this vid is interesting: Sport Science: Aroldis Chapman - YouTube
    Thanks for this...some of Chappy's pitching is obvious...stretch & hgt....But now I really get it...

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post

I'd imagine so. His pitches have less movement and are pretty straight. Allows for the illusion that the ball is on fire while it approaches the plate. Broxton can throw mid 90's but because the ball moves you can track it laterally. With Chapman it's a bullet headed straight for the catcher's mitt.

No, I always want the Reds to have as big a lead as possible.

Turn Off Ads?