Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hernandez Might be Cut from my Fantasy Team

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Aaron Hernandez Might be Cut from my Fantasy Team

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Murder? Wow! I thought it would be obstruction but I guess it's murder. I wonder if the murder charge is just something to get him to roll over on his friends - if they were the guilty party(ies) and they will drop the murder charge for his testimony.
    Roll over on his friends? Let me see 4 men go to a bar and 3 come back to Hernandez's house? Hernandez destroys his home security system, cell phone, and has his house scrubbed? Maybe his friends rolled over on him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I'm guessing it's the other way around.

It will be interesting to see what path his defense lawyers choose.

A) He's innocent. He wasn't the man who shot Odin Lloyd.

B) The killing was not premeditated. Lloyd was abusing his g/f's sister and he brought him to that location with the plan of merely threatening him and/or trying to scare him. Something went wrong... A struggle? An argument? And he shot him in the ensuing whatever... In other words, trying to mitigate it to a 2nd or 3rd degree charge.

Much will likely depend on the testimony of the two other men who are apparent witnesses to the events of that evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I wonder if they are already rolling over on him, considering they have a detailed minute by minute accounting of what happened in the car.
    Could be. I just have trouble believing that someone like Hernandez who is rich and (semi)famous and has everything to lose popping a cap in someone and thinking he could get away with it. You would think he would have one of his posse do it for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Could be. I just have trouble believing that someone like Hernandez who is rich and (semi)famous and has everything to lose popping a cap in someone and thinking he could get away with it. You would think he would have one of his posse do it for him.
    Thing is, he JUST skated by another possible wanton endangerment/attempted murder charge when he shot a man riding with him in his car.

I was reading the Florida boards and apparently he's been playing at being a thug for many years, now he gets to live the life for real.

Even so where I come from that is still murder. I don't care who pulled the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Thing is, he JUST skated by another possible wanton endangerment/attempted murder charge when he shot a man riding with him in his car.

I was reading the Florida boards and apparently he's been playing at being a thug for many years, now he gets to live the life for real.
    Yeah, that is one thing that people, especially Pats fans, seem to have no knowledge of. There is a pattern here that all of the sudden has reared it's ugly head.

Just pitiful all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yeah, that is one thing that people, especially Pats fans, seem to have no knowledge of. There is a pattern here that all of the sudden has reared it's ugly head.

Just pitiful all the way around.
    And should serve as a reminder to us ALL that we don't know these men on our favorite teams. We might think they are super nice guys because they volunteer in the community, or donate to charity, or have a Hollywood smile, but just like the 'real' world any of them could have some dark secrets. Enjoy what they do on the field, certainly don't idolize them though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-26-2013),camisadelgolf (07-06-2013),medford (06-27-2013),New York Red (06-26-2013),Razor Shines (06-26-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (06-26-2013),reds44 (06-27-2013),Revering4Blue (06-26-2013),texasdave (06-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    And should serve as a reminder to us ALL that we don't know these men on our favorite teams. We might think they are super nice guys because they volunteer in the community, or donate to charity, or have a Hollywood smile, but just like the 'real' world any of them could have some dark secrets. Enjoy what they do on the field, certainly don't idolize them though.
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Well said.

So, when do these kinds of stories start to affect the number of people that watch and follow the NFL? If this were an NBA player, this would be seen as an indictment of the league and would turn people off to it. But, I don't get the feeling that this is putting the NFL in a similar position. The NFL shield is truly Teflon.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    So, when do these kinds of stories start to affect the number of people that watch and follow the NFL? If this were an NBA player, this would be seen as an indictment of the league and would turn people off to it. But, I don't get the feeling that this is putting the NFL in a similar position. The NFL shield is truly Teflon.
    For the most part the NFL is faceless. Meaning that when they are on the field of play they are shielded by a face mask and you can't see their face. Also take into consideration the sheer number of players in the NFL as opposed to every other major sport. I do think that in the NBA you can easily put a face to a name, in the NFL unless you are a star that becomes a little more difficult.

I understand what you're saying. You also have to remember that the actions of one individual is not going to dissuade someone from watching a sport they enjoy. If Aaron Hernandez did this as an NBA player it may turn people off to it. However, those people weren't big NBA fans to begin with. The NFL is way more popular than the NBA. Let's say you have 100 million people in this country who call themselves NFL fans. Then let's say you have 50 million people who call themselves NBA fans. If 100 thousand people decided to stop following those leagues, a greater percentage of fans would no longer be NBA fans because there are fewer NBA fans. Sure you are going to have mediots who will bloviate about how the NBA isn't popular anymore and is a thug league but that's not the reality.

A couple of big reasons why the NFL is so popular is that most of the games are on Sunday - where most people have the day off - and there are only 16 regular season games. So every game is important and you have a week's buildup to the next one. Plus the NFL had a huge head start on the NBA not just in longevity but in presence on television. The NFL's been around since the 1920s while the NBA didn't begin till the late 40s. For the NFL, the TV watershed moment for them was the 1958 championship game. That didn't happen for the NBA till the 80s. If you said to a 17 year old kid that once upon a time, the NBA finals were televised on a tape delay they would think you were pulling their leg. About the only thing that would sink the popularity of the NFL is some radical rule change where it would literally become touch football. People like the violence on the field.

They also like living vicariously through these people. We can go down to the gym and play pickup hoops with our friends. Certainly not anywhere in the same universe as the NBA but we can make a jump shot or get a layup or a rebound or even in some instances, dunk. We can go out on the softball field and get a hit or catch a ball. We can go out on a golf course and sink a 20 foot putt or hit a long drive down the middle like the pros do. We can go out and play a game of tennis and have long rallies and make drop shots and hit aces. We just don't do it as well or consistently enough as the pros do. You don't see guys lining up and playing tackle football for recreation. You may go out and play flag or touch football and maybe the touch becomes a little rougher than that but very few people suit up in full pads and get 10 other guys to play full contact football recreationally. Even if you are playing flag football and you complete a pass to your buddy, you know it's not the same as what Tom Brady and Peyton Manning do. We admire people who can do things we can't.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

15. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (06-27-2013)

The guy was arrested; he was cut. What's the problem? When I watch the NFL, I won't be watching this guy

17. Likes:

oneupper (06-27-2013)

In the NFL, most people cheer for (or against) a team or set of teams, rarely do they care about the specific players on the team (other than their ability to win/lose games). How many people in Indy were opening up a brand new Manning Broncos jersey this past christmas???? I'm assuming a very small % to the number of people opening up their brand new Andrew Luck jersey. How many people in Ohio picked up a new Lebron Heat jersey in the last couple of season vs the number that picked up a new Cavelier Irving jersey?

The NFL career is so short, so many go from superstar to afterthought in the blink of an eye, that we only care about what they're doing today, not what they did yesterday. As bucksfan states, the NFL is largely a faceless league, the NBA is driven by their stars. Its why Jordan had a jersey retired in Miami despite never playing for that franchise. Think that would ever happen in football or baseball (aside from the Jackie Robinson situation?)

I also think we live in a different time than when the NBA was at their peak in thugishness. Go back 20-25 years, and athletes getting in trouble (at least publicly) was a new(er) thing. Prior, many transgressions were swept under the rug; the 24 hour new cycle was in its infancy, something happened in california, doesn't mean you automatically hear about it in ohio. At first there was a lot of shock/outrage at the things high profile athletes were getting in trouble for. Then flash forward and its almost the norm. My mother in law used to love tiger, and now dispises him, she asked how I could still root for the guy. to me, its easy, I'm rooting for the performance on the course, I've long since got past the notion that these guys are angels off the field. Sadly, while the vast majority of them are great citizens/role models, there are far too many that are something less that they overshadow those that are doing things "right"

I understand everything that you guys are saying. The NFL is certainly the easiest sport to consume and the general anonymity of the players makes it easier to forget them, but it does seem like you have to continue more and more to put your head in the sand to watch the game. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I can't see someone take a big hit and think, "how much did that take off their lifespan?" I dont know if there is any connection between the violence of football and the continued violence off the field, but that is constantly creeping into my mind when I watch now.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

20. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-27-2013)

How stupid is Hernandez to even get this close to a murder? Look at the life he's living. He's got a lot to lose. Why risk it all for that?

Turn Off Ads?