Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Latest Big One promo

Re: Latest Big One promo

I stopped regularly listening when Gary Burbank retired. The Eddie/Tracy show is awful, and I can't stand Bill Cunningham. I used to kinda enjoy Scott Sloan when he was on at night.

Now all they do is try to start trouble and pretend they're "shock jocks". They aren't. A lot of the regular callers are gimmicks, and the one's who aren't are idiots. If I'm in the mood for talk radio it's satellite all the way.

2. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-04-2013),Old NDN (07-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I stopped regularly listening when Gary Burbank retired. The Eddie/Tracy show is awful, and I can't stand Bill Cunningham. I used to kinda enjoy Scott Sloan when he was on at night.

Now all they do is try to start trouble and pretend they're "shock jocks". They aren't. A lot of the regular callers are gimmicks, and the one's who aren't are idiots. If I'm in the mood for talk radio it's satellite all the way.
    Eddie and Tracy actually called the Hanigan promo "bush league".

But I think this whole thing is manufactured. It was obviously starting today that they werent going with the "Homer snubbed Seg" angle, because no one cares about Seg, but instead twisted it into "Homer snubbed the fans." Even though he did TV interviews and a press conference after the game.

If you listened to the game, Marty was full of praise for the Homer. Good grief, folks. I listen to the game as it's played. Just WLW fishing for ratings.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm struggling to understand what's classic about a station that outside of its sports coverage (actual games) panders to morons, haters and shut ins
    It's entertainment. Their promos are very funny. This one included.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    If you listened to the game, Marty was full of praise for the Homer. Good grief, folks. I listen to the game as it's played. Just WLW fishing for ratings.
    Marty was ecstatic for Homer. That's the difference between putting animosity aside and being a professional. Homer's still in his 20's. He's still got a little growing up to do. He's definitely grown as a pitcher. Now he just needs to continue to evolve as a pro.

When it comes to media relations, he could definitely learn a thing or two from this guy.......

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Marc Amazon was embarrassing on Extra Innings the night of the no-no. Was driving back from the game and couldn't believe it took him literally an hour to actually delve into discussion about the no-hitter itself. He sat there whining about Bailey "snubbing" WLW for the first hour of the show. What a bunch of little crybabies.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    It's entertainment. Their promos are very funny. This one included.
    Their promos are lowest common denominator trash. They are crass and have fallen beneath the level of anything I can listen to. I was a big listener of WLW back to the 60s. Loved listening to the Reds, the music professor at night (Jim Labarbara I think), Sports Talk with Trumpy and the guys who came after, the Hot Stove League, Burbank, McConnell (never cared for Bill Cunningham though and he may have been at the center of that once great station's downfall). Heck I even opted for an out of town AM radio station (I don't live in Cincy) over FM album rock when I was a teen in the 70s. But in the last 10 to 15 years they have sunk to below sea level IMO. They are a 50,000 watt station with a long history that was once part of the fabric of much of the nation. Now they are barely entertaining enough to provide programming on an obscure public access cable channel IMO. I believe that 50000 watt position that once made them great is going to waste with drivel now. None of it is clever, most of it is easy to see coming, it's usually in bad tatse and it's rarely even slightly amusing. All my opinion of course.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-04-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Always Red (07-04-2013),Hypnotoad (07-04-2013),lollipopcurve (07-04-2013),reds1869 (07-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post

Yep. Burbank held that station together. McConnell was good, but Burbank was the true star. He was phenomenal and extremely multi-faceted. I used to think all the time he was "too good" for local radio. If satellite radio existed in his hay day, he would have been gobbled up by someone else. Was hilarious and witty. Had about 10 different characters that he completely knocked out of the park.

"We don't, we don't, we don't mess around ... hey!"

UC fans often debate if it's for the best to leave WLW, usually after the Big One creates similar commercials that belittle the program or only cover the program when a coach is being courted by other programs. It seems odd to tear down any portion of the content you count on to bring in revenue.

They're like the Verizon Wireless of radio - there's so much to not like about them, but you can get the signal anywhere.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yep. Burbank held that station together. McConnell was good, but Burbank was the true star. He was phenomenal and extremely multi-faceted. I used to think all the time he was "too good" for local radio. If satellite radio existed in his hay day, he would have been gobbled up by someone else. Was hilarious and witty. Had about 10 different characters that he completely knocked out of the park.

"We don't, we don't, we don't mess around ... hey!"
    Loved Burbank, but WLW was a great station before he got there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Marty was ecstatic for Homer. That's the difference between putting animosity aside and being a professional. Homer's still in his 20's. He's still got a little growing up to do. He's definitely grown as a pitcher. Now he just needs to continue to evolve as a pro.

Marty bashes a guy relentlessly for several years, then gushes when he throws a no-hitter. And that's being a professional? The people that run you down when you're struggling and slap you on the back when you are riding high are the lowest form of humanity. It's pure [crap].

15. Likes:

Joseph (07-04-2013),Larkin Fan (07-04-2013),Rojo (07-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm struggling to understand what's classic about a station that outside of its sports coverage (actual games) panders to morons, haters and shut ins
    As a hater (and future shut in) , I resemble that remark. Find nothing appealing about right wing radio. Maybe you have to be a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    As a hater (and future shut in) , I resemble that remark. Find nothing appealing about right wing radio. Maybe you have to be a moron.
    Isn't it fairly right wing at 700?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by miamiredskin View Post
    Marty bashes a guy relentlessly for several years, then gushes when he throws a no-hitter. And that's being a professional? The people that run you down when you're struggling and slap you on the back when you are riding high are the lowest form of humanity. It's pure bullsh!t.
    Marty has bashed Homer's hard headedness and refusal to listen to his catchers, coaches, etc. When a player does well, Marty says it. When a player does poorly, Marty says it. Sure, Marty is cocky, arrogant, and all those things; But one thing he's not is a jock sniffer.

19. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-04-2013),Donder (07-04-2013),Kiko (07-04-2013),Norm Chortleton (07-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Loved Burbank, but WLW was a great station before he got there.
    I'm sure it was. That has nothing to do with what I was saying. I was pointing out that while Burbank was there, he was the glue; the true star. His departure was the beginning of the vast downfall of WLW, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?