Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

Re: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't know that Rosales' bat is any more potent than Miles'.
    That's understandable, but Rosales easily has the higher ceiling and will probably improve while Miles has shown a very low ceiling and is most likely on the decline. All I'm saying is that I think the Reds' probably have a bigger need for a guy like Rosales than Miles.

2. Turn Off Ads?

In a perfect world they wouldn't have a need for either.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That's understandable, but Rosales easily has the higher ceiling and will probably improve while Miles has shown a very low ceiling and is most likely on the decline. All I'm saying is that I think the Reds' probably have a bigger need for a guy like Rosales than Miles.
    Most teams do, which is why one of them was willing to pay $1.3M to upgrade from Miles to Rosales.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Admittedly Miles has hit his ceiling and (hopefully) Rosales has not but Miles is not the inept hitter he showed last year due to injury. In the three years prior he hit .289 in semi regular play and that's not bad for a utility INF which is how he earned the multiyear contract

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    In the press conference, when asked about Janish, Jocketty said they still plan to give Janish "lots of playing time" and wanted to continue his development. So it looks like the plan is to use him as a late inning replacement a bunch.

Taking them at their word, that's a contradiction. If he's going to be used as a late inning defensive replacement, he isn't going to get a lot of at bats so how is he going to develop? Seems to me he would need all the ABs he can get. But I'm sure they really see Janish as expendable and they live with Cabrera for a year - maybe 2 - and pray that Cozart or Valaika or somebody can step up and claim that regular SS position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

We are talking about the Adam Rosales that played on the Reds last year, right?

I'd say you have to dial up the rose-factor waaaay high in your glasses to get all excited about him. He is marginally better than Janish with the stick and nowhere close to him with the glove. At least IMO.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Why would anyone think Rosales has a higher ceiling than Miles? Really? I think it's doubtful he has similar service time to Miles when all is said and done. It think Rosales will be lucky to earn his MLB pension. I don't believe he has shown anything to the contrary.

I imagine that for random off days that Miles or Janish could play the corner spots but when Rolen goes on the DL I would expect that the Reds would call up Frazier to fill in. Frazier needs to play everyday which is the only reason he would be in AAA instead of Miles or Janish.

Bum

Adam Rosales will be luckey to have Juinor Kennedy's service time in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Why would anyone think Rosales has a higher ceiling than Miles? Really? I think it's doubtful he has similar service time to Miles when all is said and done. It think Rosales will be lucky to earn his MLB pension. I don't believe he has shown anything to the contrary.

I imagine that for random off days that Miles or Janish could play the corner spots but when Rolen goes on the DL I would expect that the Reds would call up Frazier to fill in. Frazier needs to play everyday which is the only reason he would be in AAA instead of Miles or Janish.

Bum
    Rosales' minor league career OPS = 0.855. Miles' minor league OPS = 0.734. Rosales will be the same age this year as Miles was in his first full year in the majors.

As a middle infielder, I don't think Miles is that bad. But as a third baseman, I just don't consider him a viable option due to his lack of power (not that his on-base skills are all that impressive either). Because Scott Rolen has a tendency to miss out on so much playing time, I think the Reds would have been better off keeping Rosales and DFAing Taveras. But hey, at least Miles 'knows how to win' and has a 'veteran presence'.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Adam Rosales will be luckey to have Juinor Kennedy's service time in the end.
    Which is about right, but it is doubtful that from now to the end of his career, Aaron Miles will play in around 500 big league games with around 1000 PA's.

That is the calculus that Beane is using in spending $1.3M in acquiring Rosales for Miles. Rosales should produce around 3-4 wins for his team during the rest of his career, while Miles will be lucky to produce 1 win during the rest of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Rosales' minor league career OPS = 0.855. Miles' minor league OPS = 0.734. Rosales will be the same age this year as Miles was in his first full year in the majors.
    Good Luck with that. Miles first year not as a starter was last year. Miles can actually play somewhat effectively at the MI positions. It would really surprise me if any team in MLB ever gave Rosales a starting job for a whole season.

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Taking them at their word, that's a contradiction. If he's going to be used as a late inning defensive replacement, he isn't going to get a lot of at bats so how is he going to develop? Seems to me he would need all the ABs he can get. But I'm sure they really see Janish as expendable and they live with Cabrera for a year - maybe 2 - and pray that Cozart or Valaika or somebody can step up and claim that regular SS position.
    When I said that he will be doing a lot of late inning replacement, I meant that, along with some starts, although they might not all be at SS. Jocketty said a few time that he would get "lots of playing time."

Maybe they see him as expendable, but if you're going on what Jocketty said, Janish will be more than just a back up. He seemed to say that they will still be trying to groom him as an eventual starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Admittedly Miles has hit his ceiling and (hopefully) Rosales has not but Miles is not the inept hitter he showed last year due to injury. In the three years prior he hit .289 in semi regular play and that's not bad for a utility INF which is how he earned the multiyear contract
    Yeah, but he doesn't make his money because he hits, right? Anyone know anything about his defense?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, but he doesn't make his money because he hits, right? Anyone know anything about his defense?
    Decent for a second baseman, poor for a shortstop.

Turn Off Ads?