Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: DUI Lawyers

Re: DUI Lawyers

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Well, I just got back from my pre-trial, and it was awesome. When I got on the stand, I made sure to talk very slowly as to make them more likely to give in to my demands. I hypothetically asked what my penalties would be if I were to plead guilty, and the prosecutor recommended the standard penalties (4 days jail, $300 fine + court costs, 120-day license suspension, state program for substance abuse). At that point, I said, "Prosecutor, did I forget to mention that your looks very nice?" When she heard that, she said, "It's time for lunch. If you plead guilty, I'll recommend all the minimum penalties and no jail time."

Tomorrow, I'm going in to give the court my plea. Hopefully I won't be too hung over to wake up in the morning because I'm definitely going to celebrate my win tonight.

And I'm 100% serious about all of that except for the sentence before this one.

OK, don't leave us hanging. What are the minimum penalties? What about the bit about driving with an expired license and driving without insurance?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Whoops. Thank you. It was her hair. I design testing methods for hair dye, and I was impressed with her highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK, don't leave us hanging. What are the minimum penalties? What about the bit about driving with an expired license and driving without insurance?
    It turns out that I was insured, actually. I think it was a clerical error with the insurance company.

I have to pay $200 + court fines (which pushes the total to around $700 iIrc), 90-day license suspension, no jail, and the minimum amount of time in the alcohol abuse program.

In other words, stalling in court saved me $100, 30 days of a suspended license, a few weeks in an alcohol abuse program, and four days of jail.

Moral of the story:
    IF YOU EVER GO TO COURT, COMPLIMENT EVERYONE AND TRY YOUR BEST TO WASTE THEIR TIME.

OK, that sounds like about what Rey Maualuga got. I think that's about as good as you're going to do with or without a lawyer but I think the reason most of this board suggested you get a lawyer is because you gave the impression that you didn't want to plead guilty to a DUI because you felt you weren't guilty. If you'd have said I'm OK with a DUI on my record as long as I only get the minimum sentence then I'd say fine, go to court, be cooperative and they'll probably go easy on you since it's a first offense.

If your insurance jacks your rates, let us know. That'll be helpful information for those of us who might find ourselves in a similar situation.

If jailtime was on the table then why didn't you qualify for a public defender?

Incidently I don't think your compliment on the Judge's hair had much to do with it. All she was looking for was for you to be cooperative and respectful, but anyway, I'm real glad it worked out in the end for you!

Can they suspend a license when you don't have one???
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Camisa Del Cochran

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Can they suspend a license when you don't have one???
    Yes. It changes the basis for the suspension and the requirements which must be fulfilled prior to reinstatement. It also usualy means that the penalty gets much harsher if he is picked up driving while suspended. For instance in 2 of the 3 states in which I am admitted if you get picked up while driving and suspended for a DWI it is mandatory jail (min 7 days in one, 10 days in the other) whereas for a DLS not for a DWI is sometimes not a criminal offense.

Re: DUI Lawyers / A lot depends on the Judge's History also

Looks like you got the results you wanted.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-08-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

One thing I learned from this thread is how to spell cockamamie. Never knew, honestly, until now.

Celebrating a "win" in a DUI case by getting hammered.

Let's just think about that one for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Celebrating a "win" in a DUI case by getting hammered.

Let's just think about that one for a second.
    Yeah, I'd celebrate with a road trip.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm having trouble believing a lot of stuff in this thread. Did he seriously compliment her hair? Was that a joke? I seriously doubt that even happened

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I'm having trouble believing a lot of stuff in this thread. Did he seriously compliment her hair? Was that a joke? I seriously doubt that even happened
    Most DUI cases are pled by Monday....

Calling BS on the entire description of the process.

This poster has claimed to beat three criminal cases, get out of a DUI because he complemented someones hair and is not bothered a bit by driving on a suspended license.

Bravo Sierra
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-10-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    One thing I learned from this thread is how to spell cockamamie. Never knew, honestly, until now.

I certainly love this thread.

Turn Off Ads?