Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Reds looking for right handed bat

Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I agree with Fay.
    I agree with him. However, it seems he's suggesting the Reds not do something that no one else has really advocated. I don't think too many people wanted to mortgage the future. And from what I've heard repeatedly, the Reds have no desire (or plans) to trade Homer anyhow. I've seen it reported on multiple occasions they would consider trading Arroyo or Harang this year, while trying to compete, before they'd trade Bailey.

So it seems he's preaching to the choir.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I agree with him. However, it seems he's suggesting the Reds not do something that no one else has really advocated. I don't think too many people wanted to mortgage the future. And from what I've heard repeatedly, the Reds have no desire (or plans) to trade Homer anyhow. I've seen it reported on multiple occasions they would consider trading Arroyo or Harang this year, while trying to compete, before they'd trade Bailey.

So it seems he's preaching to the choir.
    Right. I think there's a significant delta between mortgaging the future and making a trade that makes us good now and in the future.

Sorry Mario-Rijo:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/as-acquire-scott-hairston.html

A's Acquire Scott Hairston
    By Eddie Schmid [July 5, 2009 at 8:57pm CST]

8:55pm: Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com says the new Padres pitchers are RHP Ryan Webb and high-A RHP Craig Italiano. Corey Brock at MLB.com tells us that Webb will join the Padres in Phoenix tomorrow, while Italiano will likely head to the Pads' Class-A affiliate Lake Elsinore.

Keith Law of ESPN says this about Italiano: "Great arm, bad delivery. Stick him in the pen and watch him go." The 22-year-old was a second-round draft choice for the A's in 2005. Webb, 23, was drafted in the fourth round in 2004 and has worked his way through the minors, putting up a 4.43 ERA and 37/15 K/BB ratio as a starter for Triple-A Sacramento this season.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I am puzzled by this one. Why did the As acquire Hairston? Are they trying to flip him as well?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I am puzzled by this one. Why did the As acquire Hairston? Are they trying to flip him as well?
    Taking out the competition?

Dangit man, 2 low level arms. Give me a freaking break!!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Here's an out of the box idea....

Screw Wilson as a solution at short (something that has been debated around here recently). He's an upgrade but in the end, he's just something akin to a league average player.

Instead, still trade with the Pirates but target Sanchez. Move Phillips to short.

Suddenly the middle infield would have two above average players.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Taking out the competition?

Dangit man, 2 low level arms. Give me a freaking break!!
    Webb is a AAA guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Great deal for the A's. Yet another productive player is traded for an underwhelming return. Maybe one of these days Walt will do something.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-06-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Great deal for the A's. Yet another productive player is traded for an underwhelming return. Maybe one of these days Walt will do something.
    Sean Gallagher is the "player to be named later" in the Scott Hairston deal.

The Padres sent Hairston to Oakland on July 5 for right-handers Craig Italiano, Ryan Webb and a PTBNL. With Gallagher now thrown into the mix, it seems like a bad deal for the A's. Gallagher, a 23-year-old right-hander, could eventually settle in as a solid No. 3 or No. 4 starter. He'll be sent over to San Diego once he returns from the Triple-A disabled list.

I still like this deal for Oakland. Gallagher is only 23 and is already in his third organization. He's got a long way to go in the control department.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Sean Gallagher is the "player to be named later" in the Scott Hairston deal.

The Padres sent Hairston to Oakland on July 5 for right-handers Craig Italiano, Ryan Webb and a PTBNL. With Gallagher now thrown into the mix, it seems like a bad deal for the A's. Gallagher, a 23-year-old right-hander, could eventually settle in as a solid No. 3 or No. 4 starter. He'll be sent over to San Diego once he returns from the Triple-A disabled list.
    Too me that is akin to LeCure, Pawelek and Sean Watson. Sure it may have hurt our overall depth a smidge for the rest of the season but beyond that no big loss. It wouldn't surprise me to see us lose an arm like those dealt in the rule 5 this coming offseason.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Interesting take on the Scott Hairston deal, a few months after it has settled.

* Not knocking Billy Beane here, but I'm still hearing puzzled responses to Oakland's trade of three young pitchers to the Padres for Scott Hairston. It's not that scouts rate the three pitchers as top-drawer prospects. But each throws hard, and power arms are in demand. Further, it's not like the salary-cutting Padres had much leverage. Hairston might command close to $4 million next year and was blocking young outfielders in San Diego. "The Padres got three pitchers who all have a chance to be major leaguers," said the AL scout. "I like (Ryan) Webb. (Craig) Italiano has a really good sinker. Sean Gallagher, I liked him last year. Oakland got smoked on that trade as far as I'm concerned, even if Italiano never gets there."
    http://insidethepadres.blogspot.com/...day-notes.html

With Beane at the helm, I'm sure there is a solid, fact based answer for this.

Turn Off Ads?