Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replaces Co-Co as the Reds closer after this year

13 23.64%
  • Continues in the role he is in now for another season

4 7.27%
  • Reds trade him at somepoint in the next few seasons

0 0%
  • Spends this offseason working on being a starter and is a starter at some point in 2012 season

22 40.00%
  • No clue as it appears the Reds have no clue

16 29.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapman's future

Chapman's future

Not how YOU want him to be used, but with the way the Reds have used him up to this point, what kind of future do you see him having with the Reds?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman's future

Neftali Feliz = Aroldis Chapman

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Kid was signed to start,which us what us all pretty much figured.Rather than be some $30 million dollar half inning,circus act to sell tickets.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

id love to say start but cmon it almost seems to late now. should of never changed him to bullpen in 1st place.

He is the closer no question about it

The Reds claim you can only add around 30 innings a year to a pitcher, that would limit him to 77 innings as a starter next season

He signed a 6 year 30 million contract but if he qualifies for arbitration after 2012 he gets a 5M bonus and that contract is terminated and he becomes arbitration-eligible, they will not waste what could be his last season as a Reds in the minors being stretched back out to start

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Reds screwed this situation up. I'm losing faith in management.

The Reds evaluated Chapman as a starter. That's pretty much all he did for Cuba. They gave him 30 million and hoped to straighten out his control issues/mechanics. I can't see throwing that kinda money at a setup guy or would be closer. Let him work on being a starter in the offseason. It doesn't "require" him to spend time in the minors to become a starter, IMO. The starts he made for Cuba was against better competition, for the most part, than most minor league teams. It's not like it's something he has never done before.

As far as the money goes, if Chapman can be a dominate closer he would be way underpaid, look at what dominate closers make today.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    He is the closer no question about it

The Reds claim you can only add around 30 innings a year to a pitcher, that would limit him to 77 innings as a starter next season

He signed a 6 year 30 million contract but if he qualifies for arbitration after 2012 he gets a 5M bonus and that contract is terminated and he becomes arbitration-eligible, they will not waste what could be his last season as a Reds in the minors being stretched back out to start
    If he is in the minors being stretched out, then it should delay his arbitration-eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    If he is in the minors being stretched out, then it should delay his arbitration-eligibility.
    According to Cot's the sixth year is a player option. So the Reds have him for three more years. Do you want three years as a closer or two years as a starter - with one year in the minors being stretched out? (Assuming he is successful in whichever path is chosen for him).

Note: I don't totally understand his contract. I am assuming if the sixth year is a player option then he can choose to be a free agent. That may not be anything close to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    The Reds evaluated Chapman as a starter. That's pretty much all he did for Cuba. They gave him 30 million and hoped to straighten out his control issues/mechanics. I can't see throwing that kinda money at a setup guy or would be closer. Let him work on being a starter in the offseason. It doesn't "require" him to spend time in the minors to become a starter, IMO. The starts he made for Cuba was against better competition, for the most part, than most minor league teams. It's not like it's something he has never done before.
    That's not an outrageous amount for a closer these days, particularly one with the power arm that Chapman brings out. I can see him coming in in the 9th and blowing away batters all of next season - another off-season working on control and he's ready.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

I see his future in pinstripes and the letters NYY.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I see his future in pinstripes and the letters NYY.
    long way from that

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    I would assume he would not be in the minors the whole year. He would most likely qualify for super two status

Here is another thing, has Chapman thrown a changeup in the last year? All I ever see is Fastball and Slider, he will need to master a third pitch and maybe forth pitch to be a starter
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 08-24-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    According to Cot's the sixth year is a player option. So the Reds have him for three more years. Do you want three years as a closer or two years as a starter - with one year in the minors being stretched out? (Assuming he is successful in whichever path is chosen for him).

Note: I don't totally understand his contract. I am assuming if the sixth year is a player option then he can choose to be a free agent. That may not be anything close to reality.

If he does not qualify in 2012 he is a lock to qualify in 2013. As a closer he will be cheaper through arbitration than a starter and you know the Reds will go the cheaper route.

Turn Off Ads?