Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to get Justin Upton?

Re: What would it take to get Justin Upton?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    So you were really happy in 1992?

Of course he had a down year that year.
    I was pretty ecstatic. That was a fun team. Too bad the wild card was still a few years away.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cozart isn't barry larkin but theres not a lot of starting SS's in the league right now that are. Look around, I would say Cozart is at least average if not slightly above average then add in that hes cheap and he has some decent trade value.

I think JJ Hardy is a good comp for Cozart.

I fear that Janish could be a comp for DiDi. Pokey Reese is probably the upside case.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I fear that Janish could be a comp for DiDi. Pokey Reese is probably the upside case.
    I'd say Erick Aybar (with less speed) is his upside. The gloves are comparable. The difference is Aybar had some juicy minor league numbers that he hasn't been able to duplicate in the majors. Minor league Gregorius hits like major league Aybar. No idea if that will translate. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Obviously any offensive cipher at SS would be a potential downside comp.

One guy who might be a decent offensive comparison point is Bill Spiers from his Milwaukee days (Gregorius has more glove). Spiers never could hit a lefty and didn't add much value on the bases, but he delivered the bare minimum. Spiers had a flourish in the late '90s after he turned 30, which really looks like a successful application of chemistry given what we now know about baseball history.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I love how the article says it will take a TOR starter and an everyday player
    That is the second time you have stated that. That would be relevant to this discussion if the article actually said what you keep misstating. From article:

" Addressing another trade rumor, Hall said that it's too early to tell if outfielder Justin Upton will be moved this offseason. Upton is due to make $9.75 million next year, $14.25 million in 2014 and $14.5 million in '15.

"The great thing about Justin is that he's been through this a couple of years, so he really expects it," Hall said. "If nothing happens and he's still in a D-backs' uniform, we will be fine. It's all part of the game. I think he's so mature now to when he first entered the league. If this had happened back then, maybe he would react differently, but he handles it so well and it's not an issue."

According to reports, the D-backs would need an everyday position player or top-of-the-rotation pitcher in return as part of a deal for Upton."

An everyday position player OR a top-of-the-rotation pitcher. There is a big difference between and/or.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Whoops - sorry!! The and/or has already been discussed and addressed.

I will go back to being quiet now!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

The thing about Didi is that he is very athletic, even for a SS, with good instincts. Along with Profar and Simmons, he is in this first wave of shortstops out of Curacao -- you might count Bogaerts too, but it's unclear if he can stay at SS -- and these guys are all going to be jockeying with one another in friendly competition. In other words, there is healthy upside here, and while I am a Cozart fan, I have to think Didi is probably favored, both by teams looking to trade for a shortstop, and by the Reds themselves. I know Baker likes him a lot.

I'm having a hard time comping Gregorius. He's shown a smidge of power that might grow as he fills out. He's not an OB machine but he's not alergic to walks either. By all accounts he's got atheleticism to spare but has been unremarkable on the base paths. He's contact-y.

IDK, Mike Bordick?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm having a hard time comping Gregorius. He's shown a smidge of power that might grow as he fills out. He's not an OB machine but he's not alergic to walks either. By all accounts he's got atheleticism to spare but has been unremarkable on the base paths. He's contact-y.

IDK, Mike Bordick?
    Sounds an awful lot like Leo Cardenas

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sounds an awful lot like Leo Cardenas
    That would be very acceptable.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

A TOR starter and an everyday player?

No thanks. And I think 'Zona will be sorry if they don't trade Upton. Clearly it's a bad marriage that will continue to deteriorate. And I'd bet his value diminishes with his unhappiness, and theirs.

I'd trade Gregorius and another minor leaguer straight up, and throw in Stubbs. That's the most I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The thing about Didi is that he is very athletic, even for a SS, with good instincts.
    He is athletic, but I ask again "Why doesn't he run?"

He is athletic, but I ask again "Why doesn't he run?"
    It's a good question.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    That would be very acceptable.
    Quite the understatement. I'd be doing backflips if he turned into a Cardenas. And I'm nearly 50, so a backflip would be pretty impressive. :O)

The Rangers are hot on the trail of Justin Upton, per mlbtraderumors, and they're willing to part with top prospect Mike Olt to get him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-olt-swap.html

Turn Off Ads?