Monday

3:00 PM Manchester City
    v
    Newcastle United
    Match Stats | GameCast

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: 2013 EPL Thread

Excited to see how the new NBC TV situation works out. Allegedly all these matches will be shown live Stateside, in some form.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Well, Arsenal are in line for another horrid season.
    If by horrid you mean staying in the top four, you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    If by horrid you mean staying in the top four, you are correct.
    Is that saying much? Outside of Tottenham with Bale, are there any other clubs who can compete with Man U, City, Chelsea, and Arsenal?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Is that saying much? Outside of Tottenham with Bale, are there any other clubs who can compete with Man U, City, Chelsea, and Arsenal?
    No, there aren't. But if top four in one of the best leagues on the planet is bad a lot of teams are ready to sign up for the privilege of being horrible. One of the things I respect about Arsenal is that they are doing this with a relatively healthy financial approach. It makes a lot of supporters angry but I admire what Wenger is trying to do. And they play with a flair that is sadly missing from the English game.

Hard to know how the league will look until the transfer market shakes out.

Will Bale go to Madrid? As a Madrid fan, I don't think the club needs him or that it should pay the outrageous price to get him. I also think Spurs have made some great additions this summer.

Will Rooney go to Chelsea? And, if so, I'm not sure which team that helps/hurts.

Arsenal's rumored to be in on Luis Gustavo, Yoan Gourcuff and now Edin Dzeko.

City's supposedly after Pepe again.

Will ManU sign Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines? Will ManU sign anyone for that matter? They keep getting snubbed.

What's going on with Luis Suarez? I doubt even Luis Suarez knows.

Everton actually bought some players early in the transfer window and the team looks pretty solid, especially if Fellaini and Baines stick around.

And Swansea's done some interesting lower profile business this summer, adding to what was already a solid team. My guess is that club may have an opportunistic move or two left in it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Poz writing about the Premier League

http://www.nbcsports.com//joe-posnan...its-privileges

LONDON – Well, there are a few ways you can do this. You probably know that the Barclays Premier League – that is the highest level of soccer played in England – is by pretty much all measurements the most popular sports league on Planet Earth. Just start with television reach – the Premier League is broadcast in 212 territories, reaching about 4.7 billion people. Yes, that’s BILLION.

But there are countless other measurements that show just how big the Premier League is around the world. Manchester United is worth more than the New York Yankees though Manchester itself has a population slightly smaller than Charlotte, N.C. Tottenham Hotspur, a London team that has never actually won the Premier League as constructed, has fan clubs on all six continents and 20 clubs in the United States with more on the way. Another London team, Arsenal, claims an active worldwide fan base of more than 100 million. Liverpool has a massive fan base in Singapore. Chelsea’s reportedly becoming hugely popular in places like Russia. The reach is simply mind-boggling.

Arsenal have positioned themselves well for the future.supporters may not like all of that green in the chart now but they should, because it is the reason the club will flourish for years to come.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...er-United.html

Arsenal have positioned themselves well for the future.supporters may not like all of that green in the chart now but they should, because it is the reason the club will flourish for years to come.

Umm they have plenty of money now... And yet they've bought no one and actually MADE money yet again this transfer season

I have just recently started following the EPL and I the team I tend to follow the most is Man U. I am not disputing anything in that pie chart, but wouldn't that be akin to saying, look at all the cash on the Bengals balance sheet! If your not making good use of the cash, its just cash.

I think you have to look at sports team finances in a different light. Especially one of the best, if not the best and most powerful sports league in the world. I know many soccer teams have financed their teams through an enormous amount of debt, but with each new TV deal that comes along the revenue that flows in will grow. If NBC does well with the new EPL contract just think about how much revenue the EPL can generate from the US.

Umm they have plenty of money now... And yet they've bought no one and actually MADE money yet again this transfer season
    Yes, they have plenty of money. They aren't spending because they feel the fees are outrageous and violate the FFP laws. I happen to agree with Wenger and company. I know I won't sway you because the two camps (pro and anti-Wenger) are firmly entrenched in Gunnerland and we are clearly in opposite camps.

Aresenal are smart, they aren't going to spend money for the hell of it. They have never been a big spending team (Well not under Wegner), they like to build with kids and get them playing there brand of football. You have to admire them for that and there consistencey in the league.
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

15. Likes:

reds1869 (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Red View Post
    Aresenal are smart, they aren't going to spend money for the hell of it. They have never been a big spending team (Well not under Wegner), they like to build with kids and get them playing there brand of football. You have to admire them for that and there consistencey in the league.
    I think it's admirable they want to build around players from their system, but they've become poor judges of young, outside talent. Arsenal has needed to upgrade at DM and CM for the better part of a decade (ever since Vieira left) and it hasn't been able to find one. Players at those positions don't cost an arm and leg. Real Madrid just snagged Casemiro for 5 million. How is Arsenal not in on a player like that?

Pretty much the entire Bundesliga is doing a better job than Arsenal of finding low cost, high impact players.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Will be a long year for my Cottagers. Just hoping to avoid relegation.

But hey, they've got that status of MJ out front, so there's that.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?