Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want to see BP traded?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

90 56.96%
  • No

68 43.04%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Re: Poll: Do you want BP to be traded?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think there's a reality the Reds need to face if they make a clumsy trade of Phillips and show up next season with a team a step behind the 2013 model.
    I'd say upgrading Heisey/Paul to Ludwick and a full season of Cueto makes the team better right off the bat. You might say I'm cheating because injuries happen, but they stayed healthy in 2012.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think there's a reality the Reds need to face if they make a clumsy trade of Phillips and show up next season with a team a step behind the 2013 model.
    He was a three win player in 2013. The Reds under-performed their pythag by three wins in 2013. He could be replaced by a handful of affordable free agents and not lose more than a win from Phillips"s 2013 performance.

I just think you've gone all hyperbole on how difficult it will be to replace the shoes of 2013 Brandon Phillips...

5. Likes:

reds44 (10-22-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    He was a three win player in 2013. The Reds under-performed their pythag by three wins in 2013. He could be replaced by a handful of affordable free agents and not lose more than a win from Phillips"s 2013 performance.

I just think you've gone all hyperbole on how difficult it will be to replace the shoes of 2013 Brandon Phillips...
    I see Brandon following the Orlando Hudson career arc at this point. Can't see him doing much more than floating around a 700 OPS for the rest of his career with declining defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I see Brandon following the Orlando Hudson career arc at this point. Can't see him doing much more than floating around a 700 OPS for the rest of his career with declining defense.
    Orlando Hudson was a solid 3 win player until he suffered a career ending concussion in 2011 when he was 34. His bat slowed around age 32, but he made up for it with above average defense until his concussion.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

It won't be difficult, just expensive, and really not that much less expensive than keeping Phillips.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Trade Bailey for Profar. I think you could certainly do worse than a lineup of:

CF Hamilton
    1B Votto
    LF Kemp
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    2B Profar
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart

If Hamilton never gets off the ground, you could leadoff Profar and move Hamilton to the 8 hole. You'd also have flexibility to keep Kemp in CF and play Ludwick in LF, with whoever emerges the best from Ervin/Winker/Y-Rod taking over the LF spot (or CF if Ervin) beginning in 2015 or 2016. You also have the flexibility to trade the other two, or have one of them step in if Kemp continues to be injury-prone. (Similarly, if Kemp's ability to hit RHP continues to decline in 2016 and beyond, you could play Winker against the toughest RHP).

Bottom line is if the Reds were weak against LHP this year, they are not going to improve that area by subtracting Brandon Phillips, unless you replace him with some right-handed firepower. Kemp and Profar would certainly provide that.
    I'm on board with Bailey for Profar.

Not sure about Kemp though. He's pretty injury prone.

Everyone is on board for Bailey for Profar. Except the Texas Rangers that is. If Profar goes, I'd expect David Price or Guancarlo Stanton is headed Texas' way. Otherwise they'll keep him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

AmarilloRed (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Everyone is on board for Bailey for Profar. Except the Texas Rangers that is. If Profar goes, I'd expect David Price or Guancarlo Stanton is headed Texas' way. Otherwise they'll keep him.
    I don't know. Bailey is the hometown guy, cheaper, and he has a high ceiling too. I could see Texas having interest in Bailey.

And I think Stanton would net more than just Profar.

This.

The idea of dumping Phillips at any cost really perplexes me.
    Go BLUE!!!

14. Likes:

bengalsown (10-22-2013)

This.

The problem may be that it doesn't perplex Bob Castellini - if he really wants Brandon gone.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

This.

That's because it's not a trade that's meant to make the team better. It's meant to make the clubhouse better and the owner happier.

I expect once BP's gone, more tales will dribble out to explain why the Reds felt he had to go. It would be counterproductive for those to be revealed yet, since they serve to further depress an already limited trade market for the guy.

And I don't believe the Reds intend to dump him at "any cost." They could just release him if they felt it was time to cut bait and they wanted to send a message to the rest of MLB not to bother with him. That zero-return transaction would be the ultimate cost.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 10-22-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    /r/reds

17. Likes:

joshua (10-22-2013)

Update:

80 Yes
    61 No
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    That's because it's not a trade that's meant to make the team better. It's meant to make the clubhouse better and the owner happier.
    IMO, that's a dumb way to run a team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

757690 (10-22-2013),Crumbley (10-23-2013),Ravenlord (10-22-2013)

No. Before y'all get hot and bothered about getting rid of Phillips, watch this http://youtu.be/QVFICer-5h0 and remember that getting an opposing player out defensively is equivalent to avoiding an out as a hitter. Philips dies a heck of a lot of the former without even discussing the latter. He busted in on Dusty's presser because he knew he could get away with it, and that was partially Dusty's problem...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

22. Likes:

Ravenlord (10-22-2013)

Phillips is overrated and overvalued, especially now that he has a 100+ RBI season.

of course, i'd trade Latos, Bailey, and/or Hamilton if the deal was right. designating 'untouchable' players (and meaning it) in most situations is a sign of ineptitude.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?