Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    At what point, though, does it sink in that it's not going to happen so why beat a dead horse? After 162 games, it's clear Dusty has Gomes as his LF. Why complain about it every single game?

And the thing is, I don't have a problem discussing it, but that's not what's happening.

Every at bat or error it's that he's "horrible," or "awful," or a "retard," or tonight it was "our idiot LF."

I mean wow, it just gets old. I get it. He's not very good. But people keep saying "Nix should start." Well OK a case could be made for that. But after 162 games, he's not going to start. When does that start to sink in?

All I'm really asking is that the adjectives be kept to a minimum and people just accept that he's the starter. His productivity or lack thereof has been talked about ad nauseum, and I agree it's still relevant. But it's been deduced from analysis to quick & easy cheap shots.
    Except for the fact he's starting on Friday of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Except for the fact he's starting on Friday of course.
    Because of a very special circumstance that Dusty took notice he's 9-for-17 lifetime with 2 homers against the starting pitcher.

That's the one and only reason he's starting.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Biggest weaknesses we have all known this entire season:
    - no shut down "Ace" pitcher
    - cabrera and gomes can't play the field
    - gomes can't hit
    - gomes is terrible at just about everything
    - reds don't show up in big games or against good teams
    - cordero closing ballgames

Looks like we were bit by everyone of our major weaknesses, except Cordero. My fear is that we do put together a good game and then Co-Co blows it. But, first we have to get to that point.
    Votto for MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Because of a very special circumstance that Dusty took notice he's 9-for-17 lifetime with 2 homers against the starting pitcher.

That's the one and only reason he's starting.
    If Edmonds was fully healthy he would have been playing LF tonight. I truly believe that.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    If Edmonds was fully healthy he would have been playing LF tonight. I truly believe that.
    That's why the got him, it was a roll of the dice.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I was on board with Volquez in Game 1, but man, I was wrong.

Volkie combusted and Wood looked great.
    Not really... For the Reds to beat Halladay, even without him throwing a no-hitter, it would take a few gambles, and the best possible outing by the Reds starter... Riding with Volquez in this spot was the best option... It was a massive risk, but had the greatest upside.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I could have seen that happening. Really hard to predict just because we haven't been able to get any sense of Dusty's patterns with Edmonds since he's been in and (mostly) out of the lineup since being traded. But yeah there's a possibility indeed that may have been the case.

But, other than Oswalt who Nix has been a force against, and maybe a RHP here or there if the Reds go further, it's clear that Gomes isn't coming out of the starting lineup from here out.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    All they can do is shake it off....Friday is another day.

Win Friday and everything is on track...
    I agree completely. The goal all along should have been to steal at least one win in Philly. That is still something that is fully attainable.

The Reds have hit Oswalt hard a few times recently and I like their chances to bounce back Friday night.

It does not really matter how they dropped Game #1; the fact simply remains that Philly held serve when they were supposed to do so.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Not really... For the Reds to beat Halladay, even without him throwing a no-hitter, it would take a few gambles, and the best possible outing by the Reds starter... Riding with Volquez in this spot was the best option... It was a massive risk, but had the greatest upside.

I was okay with Volquez, as well, for the same reasons.

Unfortunately he blew up, but it really didn't matter in the long run. We ran into a buzz saw tonight.

It happens. It sucks it had to be us (after 15 years), but it happens.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 10-06-2010 at 09:47 PM.

It just hurts the psyche more than anything. Reminds people of the Carson injury and what not.

I just hope for a great game Friday and I expect it from these guys. They are a tough bunch.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

That's a game that will live in ig...no...miny.

Hopefully Dusty walked into the clubhouse after the game and let it be known that they can't play any worse on Friday. At this point you've got to hope your team has enough pride to prove its more than the honorary winner of the league's charity division.

I think the Reds are more than that, but the problem they face is the Phillies are scary. The entire NL playoffs may just be a formality for them. Outside of Tim Lincecum going triple freak on them, I'm not sure anything's going to activate their nervous system. The World Series may even be a formality for them (and the Phillies fans I know want the Yankees something fierce).

Main thing for the Reds in the next game is not so much to win, because it is not a must-win game, but to show they belong. They've got to demonstrate to themselves that they can play some baseball against the Phillies.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

My biggest issues with tonight's game though, from a managerial standpoint, but not like I expected any different...

-Phillips is not the guy to have leading off in a pressure game... Especially when facing a pitcher that induces a ton of swinging strikes and ground balls... Phillips is a 78% ground ball hitter...

- OCab, if he's going to be in the line-up, shouldn't be batting 2nd behind a guy that's probably not gonna get on base a lot... That's pretty much 2 guaranteed outs at the top of the order.

- Line-up IMO that should have been with tonight's starters

Stubbs
    Rolen
    Votto
    Bruce
    Phillips
    OCab
    Gomes
    Ramon

- Again... Volquez was 100% the correct pick... But if you're carrying 11 arms, and Volquez is your starter, you'd better be prepared with a QUICK back-up plan... Not necessarily somebody up and throwing each inning, but a loose arm that can get ready in a hurry the moment you sense he's not on his game...

- Against the Phillies with Halladay pitching, you know limiting runs is at a premium... Which is 100% why you don't start two of your worst defenders in OCab and Gomes...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Hey, TR. I wasn't questioning Dusty, so get off your high horse.
    That wasn't the point. The point was the fact that he gave several reasons why he chose Volquez for Game #1, while you spout off a baseless opinion without even one reason for your opinion. I think it is a reasonable standard for someone to at least give one reason for a belief. Now, let me climb back on my steed.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

It just hurts the psyche more than anything. Reminds people of the Carson injury and what not.

I just hope for a great game Friday and I expect it from these guys. They are a tough bunch.

I know.

And I realize that it's just baseball and just a game, but I will be pretty bummed if they lose Friday. There is nothing I can do about it, but I will be bummed.

My grandfather died today. You'd think that would put it into perspective for me, but yet here I am. Venting.

And again... I fully expected a game 1 loss, so how it happened really shouldn't matter... Bounce back and play for pride...

But Dusty has to put the right guys on the field to make it happen.

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?