Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Professional hitter is simply meant to be a compliment. One that augments a player's ability, versatility, and awareness at the plate. It can't be suggested that it needs to be a flat term applied to anyone who gets a check to take a swing. If you use it properly, it's just like any other adjective.

2. Turn Off Ads?

These players are pro's, after all. "They don't always turn in a professional at bat, but when they do...it's A Redszone Topic."

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Who cares about the shift? Lots of good hitters face the shift. I don't want him hitting based on what the defense is doing. I want him swinging at pitches he can drive, and if that's a ball up and out over the plate that he can drive to LF great, even better. It makes me sad for someone like Jay to go the other way, just for the sake of going the other way.
    I didn't mean it that way. I'm saying he's hitting to all fields now....you aren't going to see that shift if he's doing that. I don't think that change in approach had anything to do with the shift. It had to do with the fact that he's much more effective as a hitter when he sprays the ball to all fields.

And he's going the other way because that's what the pitcher gives him. You don't try to pull a ball like that because you'll just roll over it and ground out...or whiff. Taking what the pitcher gives you isn't going to diminish his power, it's going to pump up his average and his ability to get on base. He'll still turn on a ball as you saw in his ab prior to the 10 pitch walk against Lee.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-16-2013 at 10:32 AM.

I think the only thing I would "criticize" about this topic is that Jay Bruce hasn't done anything overnight, it's been a long steady growing process. I'm excited he showed up big last night. He does often seem to be a better hitter against better pitching. Almost like he needs to play in the major major leagues to feel comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The important point here is that pitchers so far have been able to get Bruce out by pitching him away. He was trying to pull outside pitches, and grounding out or popping them up. So pitchers kept pitching him there with success.

By showing that he will now take those outside pitches the other way for singles, Bruce has shown that they can't keep pitching him out there, especially with runners on base. They want outs.

While they rather give up singles than XBH's, their number one concern is getting outs. If a guy is constantly getting on base against them when they pitch him outside, they will stop pitching him there. They might not challenge him inside, but at the very least, they will stop getting him out with off speed stuff away. That will only be a good thing for Bruce.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jay Bruce going the other way is a good thing. Jay Bruce still needs to pull the ball too. He has gone the other way a lot this season. But he has still pulled quite a few baseballs. If I thought Bruce were going to struggle to slug .400 because of this new approach, I wouldn't like it. But I don't believe that for a second. Jay is going to hit 30 home runs this year if he stays healthy.
    Spot on as well.

.400 BABIP. .284 wOBA. 1.5 GB:FB ratio. If this is what going the other way looks like, I'll take the pull happy Jay Bruce. Of course, the reality is that he has 61 PA and his performance this year is no more indicative of a skill change than was Jonny Gomes' walk happy April in 2011.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-16-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

9. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-16-2013),Nasty_Boy (04-16-2013),Raisor (04-16-2013),Razor Shines (04-17-2013),reds44 (04-16-2013),RichRed (04-16-2013),Tom Servo (04-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I think the only thing I would "criticize" about this topic is that Jay Bruce hasn't done anything overnight, it's been a long steady growing process. I'm excited he showed up big last night. He does often seem to be a better hitter against better pitching. Almost like he needs to play in the major major leagues to feel comfortable.
    Thanks.

PS Never in my wildest dreams did I think that anyone would fail to note that the "overnight" portion of my thread title was anything other than hyperbole. I just have never quite adjusted to the fact that this board is populated by large #'s of people with little or no ability to detect nuance or literary device in communication.

PPS I guess I should consider changing MY approach..........NAH, I'm keeping it the way it is, I know many of you actually DO get it.

11. Likes:

TSJ55 (04-16-2013)

Bruce has simply stopped pulling the ball. It's been two weeks. His approach to the plate may change again, though I prefer a .280-hitting Bruce with 28 HR's than a .245-hitting Bruce with 40 HR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I prefer a .280-hitting Bruce with 28 HR's than a .245-hitting Bruce with 40 HR's.

I need more information

In the many big spots Bruce will come up this year, he simply needs the versatility to put the ball in play in different ways to help the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Bruce has simply stopped pulling the ball. It's been two weeks. His approach to the plate may change again, though I prefer a .280-hitting Bruce with 28 HR's than a .245-hitting Bruce with 40 HR's.
    Last year Bruce had 141 hits in 560 ABs, for a .252 average... You take away 4 hits, he hits .245... You had 16 he hits .280.

Would 16 singles be worth 12 HRs?

Bruce needs to OPS +850, I don't care how he gets there.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I wasn't going to read this thread, but then I saw 7 exclamation points and figured the contents had to be amazing.

Incidentally -- we should compile a list of every "Jay Bruce Sucks" / "Jay Bruce is Awesome" threads and just keep it stickied at the top so we can know which thread to be posting in depending on whether Bruce is in a hot or a cold streak.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

18. Likes:

Always Red (04-16-2013),Raisor (04-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I need more information
    Jay Bruce, based on the trend he's been heading on the last couple of seasons, was heading towards more power as a hitter and a smaller average, due soley to his pulling the ball for most of his at-bats.

Stopping pulling the ball will take away the attempts to jack it over the wall in Right, but will result in a much higher average, 30-40 points in Bruce's case.

Seems that two weeks ago, Redszone fans were resigned that Bruce would be a .220-.250 hitter w/ 40 homeruns. I had mentioned that if he just didn't pull the ball, he'd add 30-40 points to his total, and cut down on the the homeruns significantly. Just saying that I prefer the latter, if I had to choose. I said at the time that I don't know if it's Bruce or the REDS (I'm guessing the REDS) who wanted to make him a pull-hitter, as the REDS did the same thing to Johnny Bench in the early 70's in order to get more power from that position, something they needed at the time, and felt that with his pure strength, it would be good for the club to have more homeruns from Bench at the expense of his average. Bench stated flatly that he was uncomfortable with it at the time, as it took several seasons to make the adjustment. It put him in prolonged slumps, but he did it anyway, as it's what the organization wanted.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-16-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Turn Off Ads?