Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

3:30 PM Toledo @ Missouri
    Hey man, don't knock us Rockets! We have some bite.

2. Likes:

Danny Serafini (08-29-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I couldn't agree more. This is why OSU needs to schedule fewer MAC schools in its non conference schedule whereas Alabama, not so much
    Alabama's non conference schedule is Va Tech, Colorado St, Georgia St., and Chattanooga. Maybe they should stop scheduling cupcakes.

The first couple of games are glorified preseason games. Games where smaller schools can earn a payday to fund their AD for playing a big school. I want to see the big Georgia vs. Clemson type games after both teams have been able to get their feet wet. I don't care that OSU plays Buffalo to start the season. Saying OSU needs to schedule less MAC schools is pretty laughable, especially when its the first game of the season.

You can make an argument that no Ohio school needs more athletic revenue than does UC, so if that's OSU's primary objective, why won't they schedule the Bearcats?
    Ohio State and UC play next year and in 2018 and have played 2 or 3 times in the past 12 years.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-29-2013),BillDoran (08-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Alabama's non conference schedule is Va Tech, Colorado St, Georgia St., and Chattanooga. Maybe they should stop scheduling cupcakes.

The first couple of games are glorified preseason games. Games where smaller schools can earn a payday to fund their AD for playing a big school. I want to see the big Georgia vs. Clemson type games after both teams have been able to get their feet wet. I don't care that OSU plays Buffalo to start the season. Saying OSU needs to schedule less MAC schools is pretty laughable, especially when its the first game of the season.
    I agree with you on Alabama which is why I previously said this:

I was really comparing conference schedules here but if you want to look at individual ones, I agree, Alabama's is about as easy as it can get. I honestly don't know what kind of team Va Tech is expecting this year but I gotta believe coach Beamer will field a competitive one.
    I understand why OSU wants cupcakes early. It's so they can serve as pre season games but I think it's courageous to schedule challenging games early. As a fan of the college game, I'm glad some schools do schedule decent games early. I like OSU and I look forward to seeing them play the likes of Mich, Wisc and others who are their same size but I can't watch 3.5 hrs of them playing Buffalo

Here's the point regardless of program. The system is engineered in such a way that strength of schedule is factored in... It's possible strength of schedule will be an issue this year when determining the final rankings (and really the only reason this is a valid point is because SOS will likely be a issue). Bottom line, if the first month is really just preseason games, then don't be shocked if it ends up costing a spot or two in the polls-whether the team is in the Big Ten or the SEC.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

To be fair, OSU had Vanderbilt (9-4 last year -- Go Dores!!!) scheduled for this weekend until Vandy backed out of the contract so they could be on TV on Thursday night vs. Ole Miss.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I understand why OSU wants cupcakes early. It's so they can serve as pre season games but I think it's courageous to schedule challenging games early. As a fan of the college game, I'm glad some schools do schedule decent games early. I like OSU and I look forward to seeing them play the likes of Mich, Wisc and others who are their same size but I can't watch 3.5 hrs of them playing Buffalo
    I am confused with what you want schools to do? Each school needs X amount of home games a season in order to support their budget. It would be great if OSU would not only play Cal but also another BCS school. But the reality is logistics don't work out. Every good BCS program is going to have 3 games of 3.5 hours of bad football. Its the reality of the situation and no team is going to change.

Its why you appreciate each weak the handful of big games that are scheduled. At the same time while you applaud Clemson for playing Georgia in Week 1 do you also call their Week 2 tilt against South Carolina State unwatchable?

Here is Ohio State's future schedule. If somebody can give me three schools with more impressive nonconference schedules over the next 10 years, I'd like to see it:

http://www.theozone.net/football/futsched.htm

Of course, a year like 2018 looks like it could be very tough with three teams that could be top 25 teams by then, but that's a long time from now and all three programs might have falled off the map. That's the danger of scheduling so far in advance.

This year's OSU schedule is poor but as already mentioned, Cal was good when it was scheduled and Vandy backed out. I'm not really sure what OSU is supposed to do about those two things.

The Big 10 and SEC do not differ at all about how many quality nonconference teams they play but they do differ when they play them. Most SEC teams have a cupcake hidden somewhere in November while the B1G teams get all of theirs out of the way before the conference schedule starts. It is a tradition the B1G has not gotten away from all of these years and something I don't see changing once the B1G goes to a nine game conference schedule.
    Last edited by RiverRat13; 08-29-2013 at 12:54 PM.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-29-2013)

In the past 10 years, Ohio State has played Texas twice, USC twice, Miami twice, NC State twice, Cincinnati twice, Colorado, California and Washington; in the next 10, they'll play Cal, Virginia Tech twice, Cincinnati twice, Oklahoma twice, North Carolina twice, Oregon twice, Boston College twice and Texas twice.

Of all schools in the country in a conference, there is no one that deserves scheduling criticism less than Ohio State.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-29-2013),Gizmo (08-31-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-29-2013),jimbo (08-29-2013),RiverRat13 (08-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    To be fair, OSU had Vanderbilt (9-4 last year -- Go Dores!!!) scheduled for this weekend until Vandy backed out of the contract so they could be on TV on Thursday night vs. Ole Miss.
    That would've been a fun game to watch.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am confused with what you want schools to do? Each school needs X amount of home games a season in order to support their budget. It would be great if OSU would not only play Cal but also another BCS school. But the reality is logistics don't work out. Every good BCS program is going to have 3 games of 3.5 hours of bad football. Its the reality of the situation and no team is going to change.

Its why you appreciate each weak the handful of big games that are scheduled. At the same time while you applaud Clemson for playing Georgia in Week 1 do you also call their Week 2 tilt against South Carolina State unwatchable?
    I think you're confusing individual schedules with conference schedules. I have no idea how Clemson's schedule looks. I haven't checked. But if I take a look at the weekly conference schedules, the Big Ten has more "dead" weeks than they should have.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    That would've been a fun game to watch.
    Even as a Vandy fan, I agree.

Instead, we get UAB. And OSU gets Buffalo.

Although, the reward (tonight) could be pretty fun as well.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I couldn't agree more. This is why OSU needs to schedule fewer MAC schools in its non conference schedule whereas Alabama, not so much
    These schedules are made a decade in advance--there is no way of knowing the quality of the conference at that time...

I think you're confusing individual schedules with conference schedules. I have no idea how Clemson's schedule looks. I haven't checked. But if I take a look at the weekly conference schedules, the Big Ten has more "dead" weeks than they should have.
    That's because the conference sucks right now. WTF else do you want us to say?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    These schedules are made a decade in advance--there is no way of knowing the quality of the conference at that time...
    Given the reality that Buffalo is merely on the schedule because of a last minute cancellation, I think OSU's did just fine with their schedule. I'd much rather they play schools like SD ST and California than little MAC schools.

Turn Off Ads?