Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Oregon State leading USC

Re: Oregon State leading USC

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Nope. Tressel isn't capable of coaching against a team like USC, in my opinion. I know he's revered very highly by a lot of fans. And I also do recognize that he's done a lot of great things with the program. But he's still got major weaknesses that become exposed when he faces a team like USC or the top SEC style teams.

Until Tressel either gets the right coaches in place (i.e. new offense), or is williing to rethink his entire ideology, I don't see them having lots of success in those types of games.
    I do think that Tressel has some problems in big games, but since 2005 he has only lost to teams who played in BCS Bowls (2005 - PSU, Texas; 2006 - Florida; 2007 - Illinois, LSU; 2008 -USC). Three out of those six were National Champs (and USC is a potential fourth). USC has lost to Oregon State twice, UCLA, and Stanford in that time. Oklahoma has lost to Colorado, TTU twice , TCU, and UCLA. LSU has lost to Kentucky and Arkansas. While OSU chokes in big games, they still get to them and they beat the teams they should beat.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Dare I....and I mean dare I.....

suggest that the championship quest for the Buckeyes may not be finished. Before the season I proclaimed 1 loss during the year for the Bucks and they would be eliminated from BCS title discussion.

However...I can forsee a season where OSU gets hot with TP at the helm and the national media falls in love with TP, and if the chips fall right, slotting OSU in the BCS game once again.

Many ifs on this scenario of course...but tonight helped the Buckeyes in that regard, no doubt.
    No. Just no. Go away Buckeyes. Hopefully forever.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    No. Just no. Go away Buckeyes. Hopefully forever.
    I'm not saying it should happen. I'm not saying it will happen. But despite the Buckeyes recent BCS history, do not underestimate the national media drooling over Terrelle Pryor if he continues to play as well as he has in his first 2 games as the starting QB.

The odds are against the Buckeyes running the table at this point in my opinion...I'd give them a 30 percent chance of doing it. All I'm saying is that if they run the table and TP is outstanding...I won't be suprised to see them in the BCS title game once again. Not my personal opinion here, but just my opinion of what the media would do.

A one-loss SEC team gets in over OSU. A one-loss USC gets in over OSU. Other than that...OSU has a shot over other one-loss teams.

Before the season I thought one loss would eliminate the Buckeyes, but Pryor has changed my mind (not that they belong in the title game, but my mind has changed in that the press still may put them back with 1 loss if Pryor continues to be a phenom.)

I'm not saying it should happen. I'm not saying it will happen. But despite the Buckeyes recent BCS history, do not underestimate the national media drooling over Terrelle Pryor if he continues to play as well as he has in his first 2 games as the starting QB.

The odds are against the Buckeyes running the table at this point in my opinion...I'd give them a 30 percent chance of doing it. All I'm saying is that if they run the table and TP is outstanding...I won't be suprised to see them in the BCS title game once again. Not my personal opinion here, but just my opinion of what the media would do.

A one-loss SEC team gets in over OSU. A one-loss USC gets in over OSU. Other than that...OSU has a shot over other one-loss teams.

Before the season I thought one loss would eliminate the Buckeyes, but Pryor has changed my mind (not that they belong in the title game, but my mind has changed in that the press still may put them back with 1 loss if Pryor continues to be a phenom.)
    Present viewers only....right now check out the front page of espn.com to see what I'm talking about.

Well, OSU is going to need a lot of help. Penn State and Wisconsin both have to be undefeated when OSU plays them (Wisky needs to beat UM today) for one. Illinois probably has to only have two losses when the Bucks go to Champaign. Of course, Ohio State needs to win out. If the Big Ten starts to fall apart and Penn State and Wisconsin don't finish 2nd and 3rd behind a one loss Buckeye team...the perception that the Big Ten is stronger this year will probably be gone.

They also need only one undefeated or one loss team from the following: USC, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama Oklahoma, and Missouri. Sure, many of those teams will knock each other off, but that won't be enough on its own, IMO. The Bucks would need a few Oregon State like upsets.

All in all, I don't see it happening. Too much has to go right, and I wouldn't pick OSU to win out in the first place, even as a Buckeye homer.

Finish strong, win the Big Ten, and the Rose Bowl...and OSU's respect will be largely back, though. IMO of course.
    Last edited by guttle11; 09-27-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Well, OSU is going to need a lot of help. Penn State and Wisconsin both have to be undefeated when OSU plays them (Wisky needs to beat UM today) for one. Illinois probably has to only have two losses when the Bucks go to Champaign. Of course, Ohio State needs to win out. If the Big Ten starts to fall apart and Penn State and Wisconsin don't finish 2nd and 3rd behind a one loss Buckeye team...the perception that the Big Ten is stronger this year will probably be gone.

They also need only one undefeated or one loss team from the following: USC, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama Oklahoma, and Missouri. Sure, many of those teams will knock each other off, but that won't be enough on its own, IMO. The Bucks would need a few Oregon State like upsets.

All in all, I don't see it happening. Too much has to go right, and I wouldn't pick OSU to win out in the first place, even as a Buckeye homer.

Finish strong, win the Big Ten, and the Rose Bowl...and OSU's respect will be largely back, though. IMO of course.
    Well, considering what happened last year, who knows what will happen. OSU needed six or seven things to happen to make the title game, and ALL of them happened. So, don't be too surprised if OSU sneaks back up to the top.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Ole Miss up by a touchdown with 6 minutes to go over UF.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Well, considering what happened last year, who knows what will happen. OSU needed six or seven things to happen to make the title game, and ALL of them happened. So, don't be too surprised if OSU sneaks back up to the top.
    Actually ALL of them happened, plus some. Remember OSU ended the season #1 in the BCS. Not trying to show you are inaccurate, but just pointing how ridiculous it was last year, with the chips all falling the Buckeyes way.

UF answers with a TD but the PAT is blocked

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Nope. Tressel isn't capable of coaching against a team like USC, in my opinion. I know he's revered very highly by a lot of fans. And I also do recognize that he's done a lot of great things with the program. But he's still got major weaknesses that become exposed when he faces a team like USC or the top SEC style teams.

Until Tressel either gets the right coaches in place (i.e. new offense), or is williing to rethink his entire ideology, I don't see them having lots of success in those types of games.
    Until the Florida/LSU losses Tress was considered one of the best big game coaches in the nation. He had quite a streak going for UM games and bowl games. While he has been embarrassed in the past two years he has shown an ability to get it done in big games before. Granted, he still hasn't been able to get an effective game plan for spread and running QB type offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Until the Florida/LSU losses Tress was considered one of the best big game coaches in the nation. He had quite a streak going for UM games and bowl games. While he has been embarrassed in the past two years he has shown an ability to get it done in big games before. Granted, he still hasn't been able to get an effective game plan for spread and running QB type offenses.
    They did a pretty good job against Texas Tech in 2002, Kansas State in 2003, and Texas in 2005...

Ole Miss beats Florida.

Ole Miss beats Florida 31-30 at Florida. Wow. Instead of kicking a 49 yard field goal, Urban Meyer decides to go for it on 4th and 1 and they failed to get a first down.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Ole Miss beats Florida 31-30 at Florida. Wow. Instead of kicking a 49 yard field goal, Urban Meyer decides to go for it on 4th and 1 and they failed to get a first down.
    Personally I think Meyer made the right call at the time. Just didn't execute.

Personally I think Meyer made the right call at the time. Just didn't execute.
    Yeah, I agree. The kicker's longest career FG is 40 yards, and I think he is very young.

Going was the proper call. His error was running the most obvious play that could have been run. And Tebow made some mistakes, too. Going for TDs instead of trying to get the first down...and overthrowing both passes to boot.

Not a good 2 minute drive from Florida. Pretty horrible actually.

Turn Off Ads?