Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: thumbs still bad?

Re: thumbs still bad?

Anyone seen his defense recently? If so, how's he progressing?

His bat does look to be coming along nicely, I must admit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Anyone seen his defense recently? If so, how's he progressing?

His bat does look to be coming along nicely, I must admit.
    I can't see him play, but going by the numbers he seems to be progressing nicely. His fielding percentage has increased from .975 to .994 since last year, he has reduced the number of errors from 5 to 1 since last year, and he even seems to be doing better throwing out baserunners. He now has thrown out 4/32, which is an improvement from earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    This thread is funny.
    Care to illuminate on why? If you're refering to folks calling him a potential bust at the start of this thread, well its become all to common anymore. So much so that for me, its not funny anymore. But that's just my humble opinion.

I just wish folks would exercise a bit more prudence when looking at prospects in general. Not everthing can be summed up just by loking at a scouting report, or by just evaluating stats. And not everthing can be told after just 1 year, or even 2. These guys are human, and there are so many variables in the game let alone life that can have an effect on the path a prospect takes to success or failure that it only makes sense to excersize patience and objectivity when looking at any player and trying to project what they're going to become.

Sorry for the rant, I just get frustrated sometimes reading about stubbs, mes, etc. And being told they are busts when we have a LONG ways to go before we can reach those types of conclusions.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I just get frustrated sometimes reading about stubbs, mes, etc. And being told they are busts when we have a LONG ways to go before we can reach those types of conclusions.
    Amen to that.

.294/.353/.431 for a .785 OPS in 102 at-bats so far for Meso.

Applause for what he is getting done. Only Waring at .800 is OPSing higher than Mes at this point.

But, yeah, he's a bust...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Sorry for the rant, I just get frustrated sometimes reading about stubbs, mes, etc. And being told they are busts when we have a LONG ways to go before we can reach those types of conclusions.
    Stubbs and Mes are apples and oranges.

Stubbs was a college draft pick and is now 23 years old, displaying all the type of "pop" you associate with a little leaguer.

Meso was taken from a non FLA/TEX/CA high school at age 18, with a lot more time to grow up and fill out.

Bottom line: Meso has a lot of time, Stubbs is running out of time.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Many of us would be thrilled with success from Stubbs at this point in his career. He does get on base, has great speed, and plays good D. All of these are good attributes to playing centerfield. To me it just seems like he has not made consistent contact since the first month of the season. His average keeps going further south every week. I am not asking for Jay Bruce numbers but I would like to see some consistency in the contact department before I would move him to AA.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Stubbs and Mes are apples and oranges.

Stubbs was a college draft pick and is now 23 years old, displaying all the type of "pop" you associate with a little leaguer.

Meso was taken from a non FLA/TEX/CA high school at age 18, with a lot more time to grow up and fill out.

Bottom line: Meso has a lot of time, Stubbs is running out of time.
    Plus, Mesoraco projects as a good-hitting catcher, which is something the Reds haven't had in years. On the other hand, Stubbs projects as a mediocre at best hitter in the Majors and he's an outfielder. Dime a dozen.

Care to illuminate on why? If you're refering to folks calling him a potential bust at the start of this thread, well its become all to common anymore. So much so that for me, its not funny anymore. But that's just my humble opinion.
    I agree. There were lots of posters screaming bust on Mesaraco, a high school kid in his first year away from home. That would be like a college rescinding scholarships for every freshman who struggled. College kids I expect a bit faster progression but the adjustment that first year may still fool you if you're only looking a the stats.

As for Mes he's still hitting, his defense is coming along and day by day he's looking like that elusive hitting catcher that we all want the Reds to develop.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Plus, Mesoraco projects as a good-hitting catcher, which is something the Reds haven't had in years. On the other hand, Stubbs projects as a mediocre at best hitter in the Majors and he's an outfielder. Dime a dozen.
    Mediocre hitting gold glove centerfielders are a dime a dozen? Man, wish we had a dozen of those over the last 5 years when we sorely needed one.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Many of us would be thrilled with success from Stubbs at this point in his career. He does get on base, has great speed, and plays good D. All of these are good attributes to playing centerfield. To me it just seems like he has not made consistent contact since the first month of the season. His average keeps going further south every week. I am not asking for Jay Bruce numbers but I would like to see some consistency in the contact department before I would move him to AA.
    So far this month, not counting the all star game, he is walking 26% of the time he steps to the plate and has struck out just 17% of the time he has stepped to the plate. At this point in the season, despite being a level higher and in a tougher league, his walk rate is up from last year and his strikeout rate has been exactly the same, 24.7%. His line drive rate has nearly doubled from last year (13% to 25%). Despite nearly doubling his LD rate, his BABIP has stayed exactly the same. Thats not exactly supposed to happen.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mediocre hitting gold glove centerfielders are a dime a dozen? Man, wish we had a dozen of those over the last 5 years when we sorely needed one.
    They could've easily had one -- it was just easier for the team to bury their heads in the sand and pretend that Ken Griffey Jr. could still run in CF.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

There will be a lot of debate on Mesoraco for a long time, simply because he is such a projection at this point. Post #108 above is a very good post. Right now, Mesoraco is still a deer in headlights. He has a lot of time to improve. If you talk to scouts, some will tell you he has a chance while some will say he will never even reach Triple-A. His defense right now is so far from anything close to acceptable that it is hard to say how much better he can get, but time will tell. Offensively, he usually gets the bat on the ball in key situations and there is something to be said for that. He is hitting a very soft .290 (many bloop hits or 18 hoppers that find a hole through the infield--rarely do you see him really blister a ball off the good part of the bat--very few extra base hits--probably a little lucky right now that the average is where it is, but hey, he makes contact and that is a big part of it.) But for a young kid out of a weak baseball state, he is holding his own against pretty good competition. He seems to be a good kid and a hard worker, so maybe he will get there. It is way, way too early to even try to guess. Has his defense improved? That is a better question to ask this time next year. The kid is carrying a lot of pressure and he knows where he is defensively, yet he goes out there and battles and you have to give him credit for that.
    Last edited by redsof72; 06-16-2008 at 11:58 AM.

I'm LOVING that thumbs' is hitting a bit. It comes as great relief to me especially after the Stubbs selection. furthermore, it gives me hope that there's help over "Yonder"

why get frustrated if someone suggests a player is a bust? I've never understood the personal investment of some posters in very young players who are really just stat sheets for most of us.

the poster that pans a player is really just hoping that the player could start playing a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I'm LOVING that thumbs' is hitting a bit. It comes as great relief to me especially after the Stubbs selection. furthermore, it gives me hope that there's help over "Yonder"

why get frustrated if someone suggests a player is a bust? I've never understood the personal investment of some posters in very young players who are really just stat sheets for most of us.

the poster that pans a player is really just hoping that the player could start playing a lot better.
    ding ding!

This post is nothing but win.

Like I want Stubbs to fail so I can be "cool" and say I saw it all along. I want Stubbs to hit the damn ball. I know he can take a walk.

With Mes, it was waaaaaay to early to call him a bust. Age, time in the minors and better players on the board have contributed to Stubbs getting that label.

Apples and Oranges is right.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?