Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ramon Santiago makes the Reds roster

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ramon Santiago makes the Reds roster

Both C Trent and Mark Sheldon report that he was told he has made the roster. No 40-man move has been made yet.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ramon Santiago makes the Reds roster

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Both C Trent and Mark Sheldon report that he was told he has made the roster. No 40-man move has been made yet.
    Juan Castro's nostalgia rating: rising fast

As I posted yesterday on the bubble thread, I think this is for the best.

Once Hannahan comes back, the Reds will have to see if their bench has enough hitting. But that seems like it could be awhile.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-26-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I still don't like weakening the bench in case there is an injury. Players like Santiago should be available at any point during the season in the case where Cozart were to be injured. On a team that needs offense in the worst kind of way, keeping around a sub .600 OPS bat as a worst case scenario backup plan seems questionable.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-27-2014),Always Red (03-26-2014),joshua (03-28-2014),M2 (03-26-2014),OGB (03-27-2014),RedTeamGo! (03-26-2014),TRF (03-26-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (03-26-2014)

Doug, do you think this is more of a Jocketty decision or Price decision?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I still don't like weakening the bench in case there is an injury. Players like Santiago should be available at any point during the season in the case where Cozart were to be injured. On a team that needs offense in the worst kind of way, keeping around a sub .600 OPS bat as a worst case scenario backup plan seems questionable.
    Both Schumacker and Hanahan are going to start the season on the DL. What did you want to Reds to do?

The Reds were not in position to make a splash this offseason, and i'm ok with that. I liked the Hanigan trade, Shumaker signing, etc. But the issue I had was the failure to pick up a backup SS. I know it is easier said than done, but I'm tired of seeing the weak hitting defensive minded SS that is a waste of a roster spot. I would much rather see a guy like Nelson who has some potential with the bat, and could play an emergency SS. As Doug already said, you can find a Santiago/Izturis anytime.

10. Likes:

joshua (03-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by No pants Mcgee View Post
    The Reds were not in position to make a splash this offseason, and i'm ok with that. I liked the Hanigan trade, Shumaker signing, etc. But the issue I had was the failure to pick up a backup SS. I know it is easier said than done, but I'm tired of seeing the weak hitting defensive minded SS that is a waste of a roster spot. I would much rather see a guy like Nelson who has some potential with the bat, and could play an emergency SS. As Doug already said, you can find a Santiago/Izturis anytime.
    So you want a guy who can play SS but who has a nice stick. Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that player be a starting SS in baseball.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (03-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Doug, do you think this is more of a Jocketty decision or Price decision?
    Attachment 6854

14. Likes:

CySeymour (03-26-2014),paulrichjr (03-26-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    So you want a guy who can play SS but who has a nice stick. Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that player be a starting SS in baseball.
    A weak fielding SS who can swing a decent stick. That's not a starter. They look for defense first. I know most don't want to skimp on SS defense, I get that. But we're talking about an emergency SS here basically. Maybe 10 starts a year. The rest of the year he shouldn't be a complete waste of space. Cozart does not need a defensive replacement. So, you carry a STICK that can tread water at short with the glove.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-27-2014),Boss-Hog (03-27-2014),dougdirt (03-26-2014),drowg14 (03-26-2014),joshua (03-28-2014),M2 (03-26-2014),Wonderful Monds (03-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    A weak fielding SS who can swing a decent stick. That's not a starter. They look for defense first. I know most don't want to skimp on SS defense, I get that. But we're talking about an emergency SS here basically. Maybe 10 starts a year. The rest of the year he shouldn't be a complete waste of space. Cozart does not need a defensive replacement. So, you carry a STICK that can tread water at short with the glove.
    Even if they could tread water at SS, neither Nelson or Negron actually "carry a stick."
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

REDREAD (03-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Whether you want a backup shortstop who is offensive minded or defensive minded, you need a guy who plays shortstop. Most of the suggestions I've seen are guys who maybe could play shortstop. But this is the major leagues. The Reds should be able to put a professional shortstop in the position when Cozart is out.

Also, I think some folks are forgetting the nature of games today. There are double switches, extra innings, minor injuries. Every position needs a backup on the team.

It's too bad the Reds didn't get a slightly better hitter for the position. But Santiago has had some decent years at the plate. Let's not forget that.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-26-2014),REDREAD (03-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I get it, good shortstops are tough to come across. But if you rank the back up SS in the league, I would assume the Reds would be in the bottom tier. We have a guy with a .290 on base percentage over the last two years, zero power, and not much of a threat on the base paths. I could be wrong but even his defensive numbers don't seem to be great. I have a hard time believing you couldn't find a better player, and just don't see what he adds to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well played, WOY
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

23. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-26-2014)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

When they invent a form of baseball where bench players only pinch-hit and never need to wear a glove, which means starters never need a day off or have to come out of a game and all injuries are serious enough to mandate going on the disabled list (no more of this "day to day" stuff), then I'll be in favor of stocking the bench exclusively with pinch-hitters. Until then, stuff happens and it ties a manager's hands to not be able to adjust for it, particularly in the double-switch league.

I'm not saying Santiago is the best they should have been able to find, mind you. I just don't like punting the ability to back up two of the eight field positions so we can get a modest upgrade on the fourth pinch-hitting slot. (I mean, back it up with competence, not "hey you, go stand over there where you have no business being.")

But, we've had the discussion before, I've said my piece, agree to disagree etc.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

25. Likes:

REDREAD (03-26-2014)

Turn Off Ads?