Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brewers' bullpen gets thinner as Torres retires

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Brewers' bullpen gets thinner as Torres retires

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34282374.html

Brewers' Torres decides to retire

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel
    Nov. 11, 2008 1:32 p.m. | I just spoke on the telephone with Brewers reliever Salomon Torres and he gave me some surprising news. Torres said he called general manager Doug Melvin today to announce he is retiring from baseball as an active player.

The Brewers had a $3.75 million option for 2009 on Torres, which they certainly would have exercised by the Saturday deadline after he emerged as their closer last season. But Torres said he wanted to take that out of Melvin's hands by telling him he was retiring.

"I wanted to make it easy for him," said Torres, 36, reached at home in Pittsburgh. "I already had made up my mind and wanted to tell him this was my last season."

Torres, a deeply religious man, said he wanted to devote more time to his wife and three children as well as his faith.

"It's time for me to dedicate more time to my family and my religion," said Torres. "Doug was very understanding, which I appreciate. I had a wonderful experience in Milwaukee but he knows I am serious about it."

The loss of Torres creates a huge hole in a bullpen already thinned by free agency. Torres took over for faltering closer Eric Gagne in late May and was a stalwart in the pen, saving a career-high 28 games in 32 appearances from that point (he was 28 for 35 overall).

Torres led the Brewers with 71 appearances and 80 innings out of the bullpen, compiling a 7-5 record and 3.49 ERA. His numbers were much better until a September fade in which he posted a 12.46 ERA over his last 10 outings.

Torres said the fact that he would walk away from the $3.75 million option shows how serious he is about retiring.

"It was a given (that the Brewers would exercise the option)," said Torres. "It's a small sacrifice I'm making. I know I'm doing the right thing. It might be a surprise to a lot of people and some might not understand, especially from a money standpoint. That shows you how determined I am to lead by life in another way."

Torres briefly thought of retiring after he was traded to the Brewers last December but decided to give it a shot in Milwaukee and said he was grateful for doing so, especially after experiencing the playoffs for the first time. He saved the Brewers only victory in the NLDS against Philadelphia, escaping a bases-loaded, no-out jam.

"It was a great season," he said. "I thank everybody in the city -- the fans, my teammates, the reporters -- for all their support. It was a privilege to play there but you don't want to have me there half-hearted.

"This decision has been a long time coming. I'm happy I have the strength and faith to do it. This is the route I want to go."

Torres retired in August 1997 after pitching for Seattle and Montreal that season, but returned to baseball in 2002 after signing a minor league deal with Pittsburgh. Torres said he would not change his mind this time about leaving.

"I am very confident I am doing the right thing," he said.

With Gagne, Guillermo Mota and Brian Shouse all free agents, Melvin has to do some retooling of his bullpen, including finding a reliable closer.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brewers' bullpen gets thinner as Torres retires

Cordero for Hardy (even pick up at least part of the difference between what they offered and we got him for)
    Last edited by corkedbat; 11-11-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Cordero for Hardy?

Who would close games for the Reds?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Cordero for Hardy (even pick up at least part of the difference between what they offered and we got him for)
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Cordero for Hardy?

Some one with a top-notch SS behind them.

Seriously though. I dont have anythingagainst Coco, but if I could approved the defense and offense with Hardy, I'd do it and turn the closer's spot over to Burton and I'd try to find another closer candidate from outside the system. I think there are several in-house options that could be ready as early as 2010.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 11-11-2008 at 10:14 PM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Cordero for Hardy?

The Brewers would probably insist on sending Gagne along in a deal for Cordero.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Cool. He can replace 'The Magic Man' as someone to be the scapegoat.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

Thankfully, I believe Gagne is a FA.

While WJ is talking to the Rockies about Atkins, he can tell them we'll take Taveras off their hands if they'll give us Street and we'll even toss in Freel.

Cordero for Hardy?

It's time to see if Jared Burton can be a bonafide closer, or just a set-up man.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It's time to see if Jared Burton can be a bonafide closer, or just a set-up man.
    Burton can prove that in a set-up role. The whole point of the Cordero signing wasn't just to find a closer, but add another quality arm to the back of the bullpen. Both picthers generally work in high leverage situations.

As for Cordero vs. Hardy, that's really a no brainer in my book. Solidifying the SS position is of greater importance than a reliever, so I agree with you fully on that note. But I think having multiple arms that could succeed in the closers role is a good situation.

Sign me up for a Hardy/Cordero swap.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Yeah, sign me up too, but it would never happen. I think Melvin feels seriously dissed by Coco and his agent.

Turn Off Ads?