Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I'm just going to try to avoid this thread from now. Y'all can be a depressing bunch sometimes.

It's 1 week in the NFL. It's good to get people riled up pretty easily. It's like Opening Day. Bengals will probably go to the playoffs, but certainly a bad loss when most look back at this week.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I'm just going to try to avoid this thread from now. Y'all can be a depressing bunch sometimes.

Years of experience my friend.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

This was a really bad loss....one of the worst I can remember. But that's because they seriously outplayed the other team.

I had a different takeaway than some others, though. I watched the Bengals and for the first time in my adult life, I was watching a legit contending NFL team. That was my takeaway. This bengals team is really good. The Bears are no slouches and they looked inferior to the Bengals for 3 quarters today. It's a long season. I like this team a lot.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

5. Likes:

Benihana (09-09-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-10-2013)

Dumbest team in the NFL.

Absolute horses&&& performance

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This was a really bad loss....one of the worst I can remember. But that's because they seriously outplayed the other team.

I had a different takeaway than some others, though. I watched the Bengals and for the first time in my adult life, I was watching a legit contending NFL team. That was my takeaway. This bengals team is really good. The Bears are no slouches and they looked inferior to the Bengals for 3 quarters today. It's a long season. I like this team a lot.
    Close enough may as well be a mile short.

I think we're all tired of losing these tupes of games.

The Pats were down with a minute left and you knew they were going to pull it off.

The Bengals were winning and you knew they were going to blow it.

You.have. to. put.teams.away.

They will find a way next week to make the Steelers look like 2000 Rams. Just watch.

I thought Andy played a great game. I think both of the INT's you can put on AJ's back. The one where Tillman jumped the route AJ shouldn't have let that ball have been picked off. If your going to throw that pass you have to trust your WR that he will either catch the ball or make sure it hits the turf.

Gruden's game calling was good. Getting Gio, Greshman, and Eifert involved early and often was good. Dalton was on the mark with his throws. I don't know if the fumble by Sanu was a poor play on his part or a great defensive play. A helmet placed right on a football often times leads to a fumble.

The defense played well enough to win. The pass rush wasn't really there and most of Chicago's big plays were a result of broken plays. Its something you can live with especially when you have a guy like Cutler who you aren't going to game plan for.

It was the WORST coaching job I have witnessed at any level. Marvin has always had trouble using his time outs but you can't use all your TO's in the middle of the 4th with the opponent knocking on the door of scoring. I don't understand why teams will call a TO to avoid a 5 yard penalty. There are times where 5 yards are well worth it. If there are 10 men on the field jump off sides and kill the play. You kill all your TO's and the Bears still score a TD, pitiful just pitiful.

The personal foul by Maualuga should put him squarely on the pine. You can't lose your composure in that situation. If that happens in high school or college he is on the bench until he earns his way back.

This team is talented, very talented. They went into Chicago and showed they were a better team than an above average Bears team. They can take this debacle in one of two ways, let it define their season or learn from all the mistakes they made. And Marvin please quit calling senseless time outs.

9. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I thought Andy played a great game. I think both of the INT's you can put on AJ's back. The one where Tillman jumped the route AJ shouldn't have let that ball have been picked off. If your going to throw that pass you have to trust your WR that he will either catch the ball or make sure it hits the turf.

Gruden's game calling was good. Getting Gio, Greshman, and Eifert involved early and often was good. Dalton was on the mark with his throws. I don't know if the fumble by Sanu was a poor play on his part or a great defensive play. A helmet placed right on a football often times leads to a fumble.

The defense played well enough to win. The pass rush wasn't really there and most of Chicago's big plays were a result of broken plays. Its something you can live with especially when you have a guy like Cutler who you aren't going to game plan for.

It was the WORST coaching job I have witnessed at any level. Marvin has always had trouble using his time outs but you can't use all your TO's in the middle of the 4th with the opponent knocking on the door of scoring. I don't understand why teams will call a TO to avoid a 5 yard penalty. There are times where 5 yards are well worth it. If there are 10 men on the field jump off sides and kill the play. You kill all your TO's and the Bears still score a TD, pitiful just pitiful.

The personal foul by Maualuga should put him squarely on the pine. You can't lose your composure in that situation. If that happens in high school or college he is on the bench until he earns his way back.

This team is talented, very talented. They went into Chicago and showed they were a better team than an above average Bears team. They can take this debacle in one of two ways, let it define their season or learn from all the mistakes they made. And Marvin please quit calling senseless time outs.
    Agree about your takeaway from the game. If we're looking at the AFC North, since everyone lost, I think we looked the best in ours if that's even possible. We weren't out talented or man handled, we beat ourselves with fixable mistakes.

The part that really bugged me was not getting 11 players on the field on that game winning drive for the Bears. Not sure if it was Burfict coming in and out due to injury that threw everyone off, but that can't happen. Since that's Zimmer's unit I really doubt the mental mistakes from that group will continue. He's too good of a coach imo.

I didn't have an issue with calling the TOs that we did though. Since we couldn't get the right players on the field we had to burn them. We still had the lead at that point and could have held them to a FG and maintained the lead.

Overall I loved what our offense did against a good Bears defense. I think it'll come down to us and Baltimore for the division, but next week is a huge game or else we could start the season 0-3.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've been saying for a few years now that if you could have Marvin Lewis coach the team for all but the 3 hours during the week when the game is actually played, the Bengals would be world-beaters. Marvin just cannot seem to make good in-game decisions and game-plan adjustments.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I didn't have an issue with calling the TOs that we did though. Since we couldn't get the right players on the field we had to burn them. We still had the lead at that point and could have held them to a FG and maintained the lead.
    You only get 3 time outs a half. In the 2nd half you have to protect those like they are gold. Not only were the Bengals out of time outs but the half way mark in the 4th quarter but Marvin lost the ability to challenge anything. Granted all TD's and I believe turn overs are reviewed, but he couldn't challenge a spot, catch or no catch, etc. Then add in that if the Bears got the lead every 1st down they got would run 2 minutes off the clock. With 7 minutes to go, 4 first downs and the game is over.

In the grand scheme of things, being able to save 80 seconds is much more important than a 5 yard penalty. I don't know why Marvin continually burns time outs early and often in football games.

You only get 3 time outs a half. In the 2nd half you have to protect those like they are gold. Not only were the Bengals out of time outs but the half way mark in the 4th quarter but Marvin lost the ability to challenge anything. Granted all TD's and I believe turn overs are reviewed, but he couldn't challenge a spot, catch or no catch, etc. Then add in that if the Bears got the lead every 1st down they got would run 2 minutes off the clock. With 7 minutes to go, 4 first downs and the game is over.

In the grand scheme of things, being able to save 80 seconds is much more important than a 5 yard penalty. I don't know why Marvin continually burns time outs early and often in football games.
    On that last one it was Burfict who called the TO, I think the coaches would have taken the 5 yard penalty, but he's probably been told to call a timeout in that situation. Frustrating, but we still had a chance to get the ball back and couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

It's awfully hard to win an NFL game on the road when you lose the turnover battle 3:1. If the home team is a decent one then forget winning. That's not my definition of outplaying anyone

I disagree that the 1st one was on AJ. That one should not have been thrown. Sure AJ could have bailed him out by that was not a point where Dalton could be justified by forcing a ball

If Sanu wouldn't have fumbled in the red zone they would have overcome all the other crap and won. It's a disappointing loss, but I still expect that this time will be very good this year.

Anything can happen, but it looks like Andy Dalton has taken a step forward, which is close to all that matters with this team. I wasn't really that frustrated with yesterday, I think they'll work out the kinks.

You can't draw too many conclusions from week 1. The Bears could be the NFC Super Bowl team, nobody knows yet.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

18. Likes:

Stray (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Anything can happen, but it looks like Andy Dalton has taken a step forward, which is close to all that matters with this team. I wasn't really that frustrated with yesterday, I think they'll work out the kinks.

You can't draw too many conclusions from week 1. The Bears could be the NFC Super Bowl team, nobody knows yet.
    I'm kind of surprised at how strong the negative reactions are. Like you, I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from week 1. Also, as far as losses go, I see a few positives: the problems we saw are correctable; it wasn't a division opponent; and, it wasn't even a conference opponent. I was at the game and I came away thinking that the Bears are no slouch team. I also don't think you can get an appreciation for how loud the stadium was. That was not an easy place to play in.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?