Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Stat geek...and proud

Re: Hoosier Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    UK and OSU wins are home court advantage wins. What is a signature road win?
    That's over-rated. Kentucky was 3-7 in true road games last season and went to the Final Four. Beating good teams on the road in college hoops is hard! All you have to do on the road is beat up on the Nebraskas and Penn States of the world. Just because they don't have a road win over an Ohio State or a Wisconsin yet doesn't invalidate anything they've done to this point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    That's over-rated. Kentucky was 3-7 in true road games last season and went to the Final Four. Beating good teams on the road in college hoops is hard! All you have to do on the road is beat up on the Nebraskas and Penn States of the world. Just because they don't have a road win over an Ohio State or a Wisconsin yet doesn't invalidate anything they've done to this point.
    Right, so how does IU winning those games at home prove their strength?

And UK was clearly a different team in the tourney than the one that compiled the road record.

Top 10 teams, which seems to be where IU fans think they deserve to be ranked, will have some good road wins on their resume. Their first test against MSU was a loss. They have another one coming up against Ohio State. They win that game, then I think they have an argument for being an upper echelon team.

Right now, I just think they are a hot team which I expect to regress as the season wears on.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

And UK was clearly a different team in the tourney than the one that compiled the road record.

Top 10 teams, which seems to be where IU fans think they deserve to be ranked, will have some good road wins on their resume. Their first test against MSU was a loss. They have another one coming up against Ohio State. They win that game, then I think they have an argument for being an upper echelon team.

Right now, I just think they are a hot team which I expect to regress as the season wears on.
    That first test was their first game without Sheehey, one of their best players. May not have mattered, but I think they have adjusted well to playing without Sheehey since that game.

You may not think IU is a top ten team and they may not be but any team in the country that had beat the teams IU has so far they would be ranked in the top ten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Road wins are almost non-existent everywhere in college basketball this season. The top 10 teams in the AP poll have a combined 10 road wins among them. None of those road wins, in fact, are against ranked teams (with the exception of Michigan State's win against Gonzaga).

As a philosophy, I agree with what you're saying. Right now, though, no one has impressive road wins. Only a few teams in the top 10 even have multiple road wins here on January 9.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Road wins are almost non-existent everywhere in college basketball this season. The top 10 teams in the AP poll have a combined 10 road wins among them. None of those road wins, in fact, are against ranked teams (with the exception of Michigan State's win against Gonzaga).

As a philosophy, I agree with what you're saying. Right now, though, no one has impressive road wins. Only a few teams in the top 10 even have multiple road wins here on January 9.
    For comparison sake, Indiana has 3 road wins, though none of them are exactly awe inspiring(Evansville, NC State, Penn State) so I agree with you Brutus.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

#8 in the coaches poll. I don't care if they dont deserve it, it's awesome to see that. I've been a huge Crean supporter the last three years and even I didnt think any thing near this was possible so quickly.

Also ranked 7 in the AP poll, which I tend to like better (and they are ahead of Duke in the AP poll)! I'm surprised IU moved past Missouri in both polls to be honest.

I fully believe IU is better than Wisconsin. I'm not sure how one cam make the case that Wisconsin is better. Wisconsin lost on their home court to Iowa. Wisconsin is not a very good scoring team nor do they rebound well.

IU still has weaknesses. They are not particularly great with rebounding the ball either and they tend to turn over the ball too much. I'd like to think they can and will fix the latter as the season goes on. IU will struggle when they play teams that have size on them and rebound the ball well.

For what it's worth, and it's an Insider article, Jay Bilas has his own index which ranks teams according to mostly advance metrics. In the Bilas Index, IU ranks #6. He says this, "The Hoosiers are shooting 45.6 percent from 3, best in the nation. And the Hoosiers are allowing only 0.74 points per possession in the half court, third in the Big Ten. I'm looking forward to this show going on the road."

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...ump-no-17-no-6

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Also ranked 7 in the AP poll, which I tend to like better (and they are ahead of Duke in the AP poll)! I'm surprised IU moved past Missouri in both polls to be honest.

I fully believe IU is better than Wisconsin. I'm not sure how one cam make the case that Wisconsin is better. Wisconsin lost on their home court to Iowa. Wisconsin is not a very good scoring team nor do they rebound well.

IU still has weaknesses. They are not particularly great with rebounding the ball either and they tend to turn over the ball too much. I'd like to think they can and will fix the latter as the season goes on. IU will struggle when they play teams that have size on them and rebound the ball well.

For what it's worth, and it's an Insider article, Jay Bilas has his own index which ranks teams according to mostly advance metrics. In the Bilas Index, IU ranks #6. He says this, "The Hoosiers are shooting 45.6 percent from 3, best in the nation. And the Hoosiers are allowing only 0.74 points per possession in the half court, third in the Big Ten. I'm looking forward to this show going on the road."

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...ump-no-17-no-6
    Sustainable? Teams that rely on outside shooting, esp. something anomalic like almost 50% on 3s are going to have some nervous fans on nights when the shots aren't falling. It's the equivalent of a baseball team that overly relies on the longball. Teams will make the adjustment to the strength, then we'll see how things look.

Sustainable? Teams that rely on outside shooting, esp. something anomalic like almost 50% on 3s are going to have some nervous fans on nights when the shots aren't falling. It's the equivalent of a baseball team that overly relies on the longball. Teams will make the adjustment to the strength, then we'll see how things look.
    Except they are a good defensive team too. Plus Watford, Zeller and Olidipo score inside and open up the outiside. Saying they rely in the outside shot is a bit of a stretch. The only shot 5-13 against Ohio St.

And that's where I think you're wrong. IU doesn't rely on the 3 every game and when teams heavily guard the 3, IU can pass inside to Zeller. Besides that, I think this team will be at least a legitimate 40% from 3, come the end of the season, which will still be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    #8 in the coaches poll. I don't care if they dont deserve it, it's awesome to see that. I've been a huge Crean supporter the last three years and even I didnt think any thing near this was possible so quickly.

Agreed. I've taken a lot of flack from my crimsoncast colleagues but I truly believed this team was a tournament team. I just didn't think it was a #3 or 4 seed tournament team. First two rounds in Louisville with Kentucky on the other side of the pod. Would certainly make for some interesting crowds.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

So far this season, IU's 3 point shooting percentage is better than 87% of the countries overall shooting percentage. It is better than every team in the B1G Ten's overall shooting percentage save for tOSU.

All that IU kool aid, boy that's gonna be one heck of a sugar crash.

All that IU kool aid, boy that's gonna be one heck of a sugar crash.
    Not really. I've said that I don't expect them to finish in the top 10 when it's all said and done. I simply resent the idea that IU hasn't proven anything this season and the correlating implication that other squads have.

If IU's wins over UK and tOSU are no big deal because they came at home, what do we make of Ohio State? The only top 25 win they currently possess is over Duke @home. They've gone on the road 3 times and are 1-2.

If IU goes to Columbus and pulls an upset, then it's a big deal obviously. If they go to Columbus and lose, whether by 1, 5 or 50, it really doesn't matter.

I would love to see IU put in Kentucky's bracket. They would just love the Chum Center with 19k UK fans.

Turn Off Ads?