Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds Willing to Trade a SS

Re: Reds Willing to Trade a SS

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    They did dump anything. They added a SS with .793 OPS at the time of the trade despite a very low OBP and got 2 solid prospects with him, it was a no brainier for a team looking to win and Toronto paid a ton to get Escobar.

Gonzalez had 43 XBH out of his 85 hits and teams wanted to add him bad that year, the Cardinals thought they had a deal with the Jays for Brendan Ryan until the Braves came in a gave up Escobar who Toronto wanted bad at the time and sweeten the pot to get it done.
    If he's as great as you say he is, you don't trade him at all

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    If he's as great as you say he is, you don't trade him at all
    Do you like Brandon Phillips? I bet you do and he's been traded twice.

Do you like Brandon Phillips? I bet you do and he's been traded twice.
    The point being? He was traded once when he was a 21 year old AA player and traded again after struggling in the majors and Cleveland became frustrated with his lack of progress. Much different than trading a young talented SS who has had success at the MLB level.

The point being? He was traded once when he was a 21 year old AA player and traded again after struggling in the majors and Cleveland became frustrated with his lack of progress. Much different than trading a young talented SS who has had success at the MLB level.
    The point is tons of talented players get traded each year, Mat Latos was traded it happens and its no big deal. The Braves got what they saw as a short term power upgrade at SS and got his replacement in another SS prospect and a LHP prospect. You act like the Braves were fed up and just gave him way when its not the case since they get 3 MLB players in return.

The point is tons of talented players get traded each year, Mat Latos was traded it happens and its no big deal. The Braves got what they saw as a short term power upgrade at SS and got his replacement in another SS prospect and a LHP prospect. You act like the Braves were fed up and just gave him way when its not the case since they get 3 MLB players in return.
    You are correct. Rebuilding teams trade talented players for prospects. Teams typically don't trade talented major league players in pennant races unless there are other problems. They plugged Gonzalez into the 7th spot in the order. I don't really buy the "short term power upgrade", Escobar is the better player, period.

I will again say they got 2 top 20 prospects along with it. I never said they gave him away. But again, this is not a move a team in a pennant race makes.

You are correct. Rebuilding teams trade talented players for prospects. Teams typically don't trade talented major league players in pennant races unless there are other problems. They plugged Gonzalez into the 7th spot in the order. I don't really buy the "short term power upgrade", Escobar is the better player, period.

I will again say they got 2 top 20 prospects along with it. I never said they gave him away. But again, this is not a move a team in a pennant race makes.
    If Escobar was a problem then the Jays wouldn't have gave up 3 MLB talents for him. They added a OPS of .793 that was all power the the 7 hole and you're telling me that's not an upgrade?

They traded a guy who was having a down year and was about to get a big bump in arbitration for a guy who was putting up massive power numbers for a SS and had a cheaper deal than what Escobar was going to get in 2011 and going forward and got his potential replacement and another prospect.

So they got a player with 110 OPS at the time owned 2.5M in 2011 with prospects and gave up a played having a down year with a 71 OPS+ and ended up getting 2.9M for 2011.

That part didn't end up working out because Escobar finish 2010 at 89 and 2011 at 112 and Gonzalez posted a 83 and then 74 with the Braves and they did end up moving Collins to KC with others for Ankiel and Farnsworth but still have Pastornicky to keep or move to help their team now.

If Escobar was a problem then the Jays wouldn't have gave up 3 MLB talents for him. They added a OPS of .793 that was all power the the 7 hole and you're telling me that's not an upgrade?

They traded a guy who was having a down year and was about to get a big bump in arbitration for a guy who was putting up massive power numbers for a SS and had a cheaper deal than what Escobar was going to get in 2011 and going forward and got his potential replacement and another prospect.

So they got a player with 110 OPS at the time owned 2.5M in 2011 with prospects and gave up a played having a down year with a 71 OPS+ and ended up getting 2.9M for 2011.

That part didn't end up working out because Escobar finish 2010 at 89 and 2011 at 112 and Gonzalez posted a 83 and then 74 with the Braves and they did end up moving Collins to KC with others for Ankiel and Farnsworth but still have Pastornicky to keep or move to help their team now.
    This debate is so far gone at this point, I'll just say you're right so I can bow out of it.

He played extremely well in his cup of coffee in 2011 and took a step back in 2012. That is what I meant by "underachieving".
    Took a step back? What team were you watching? He was more than solid all year, all around, in his first year, despite batting out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Took a step back? What team were you watching? He was more than solid all year, all around, in his first year, despite batting out of position.
    Obviously a different one. The team I watched had a SS who had the 7th worst OBP in all of baseball. Not amongst SS but amongst all qualified players. After stealing 30 bases in AAA in 2010, he swiped 4 this season. He was very good with the glove, nothing disappointing there, actually he was very impressive. However, by no means would I way he was solid all around. After what he showed in 2011, that was a little disappointing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Only if Rasmus get his haircut... Not a good look
    Dear lord. Go back to the buzz buddy. I think I read something that he hates it there in Toronto. I would not mind taking him. He has a lot of potential and power. Plus, I love watching his swing. It's so smooth and awesome.

Looks like Yunel Escobar may be going to Miami in a massive blockbuster that's going down right now.

Turn Off Ads?