Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: And If Hamilton Isn't Ready.....

Re: And If Hamilton Isn't Ready.....

Hamilton has a career OBP of .429 and a slash line of:

.368 .429 .474 .902 148

I see no reason that he will not continue at least at that level until he is 42.

2. Likes:

reds44 (01-24-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'm not going to lie. I have high hopes for Hamilton. Most exciting prospect to come out of Cinci in a long time (not necessarily the best, just most exciting).

I think he's going to pass with flying colours and crush it.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (01-24-2014)

I think a majority of us on here are reasonably optimistic when it comes to Hamilton. I don't expect big numbers out of the kid in his first full season at the major league level, and he'll probably have his highs and lows. He's not my biggest concern with this team going into 2014.

That would be our #4 spot. Very iffy IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Stat geek...and proud

PECOTA has him at .247/.305/.342.

STEAMER-.249/.305/.338

ZIPS-.264/.319/.362

I would be ecstatic with something in that range for the first year.

Now, however, OLIVER has /.233/.278/.321, which would be very bad for the 2014 Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    PECOTA has him at .247/.305/.342.

STEAMER-.249/.305/.338

ZIPS-.264/.319/.362

I would be ecstatic with something in that range for the first year.

Now, however, OLIVER has /.233/.278/.321, which would be very bad for the 2014 Reds.
    Oliver does have him at a 2 WAR.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Oliver does have him at a 2 WAR.
    Yeah, I don't know quite how that jives. Sure, defense and baserunning, but with offensive numbers that bad, I don't see how it can offset, unless he's Carlos Gomez or something out there.

I just can't think of any way that I would be extatic about a .308 on base percentage.

That means he makes an out nearly 70% of the time. Add the times he's caught stealing to that mix and you've got a player that might make an out 75% of the time getting the most at bats on the entire team.

Add him to chronic out makers like Phillips, Cozart, and Mesoracco....Whoo. That's a bunch of outs right there.

As a fan, I don't like it when guys on the Reds make a lot of outs.

11. Likes:

membengal (01-27-2014),mth123 (01-26-2014),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (01-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't think BP and Bruce in front of Votto gives you enough of an OBP bump to stop from hitting Hamilton at the top of the lineup. I understand hitting Hamilton lower to "take the pressure off," but you're talking about a guy who has hit leadoff probably his entire life. I would imagine he's most comfortable hitting there.
    I don't want Hamilton in the 7 slot to take pressure off of him, I want him there because the stolen bases are more valuable there IMO.

With Cozart and the pitcher hitting behind him being able to get himself into scoring position and not rely on them to do it for him.

As for Bruce hitting second, I want the Reds three best hitters hitting in the three top spots, whatever order that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I don't want Hamilton in the 7 slot to take pressure off of him, I want him there because the stolen bases are more valuable there IMO.

With Cozart and the pitcher hitting behind him being able to get himself into scoring position and not rely on them to do it for him.

As for Bruce hitting second, I want the Reds three best hitters hitting in the three top spots, whatever order that is.
    Bill James has argued since 80's that the best spots for the speedy base stealer is 5-7 for the similar reasons.

The batters hitting after him are more singles hitters, so the SB is more valuable there than in the leadoff spot, where he's followed by more power hitters, who can drive him in with from first, almost as easily as from second. Guys like Cozart need him to be on second to drive him in.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

14. Likes:

Raisor (01-27-2014),wheels (01-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    And if his bat is no better than what Drew Stubbs was?
    Then he better learn to bunt better than Stubbs did

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That would be our #4 spot. Very iffy IMO.
    They have a good #4 hitter. He plays right field and hits over 30 homers a season.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

17. Likes:

villain612 (01-27-2014)

I donīt have high expectations for his first full (I hope he stays the whole season, that would indicate that heīs able to hit against mlb pitchers) season..

if they show him how to bunt and he learns it (which isnīt easy). heīll cause some problems with his speed which helps his teammates aswell.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I just can't think of any way that I would be extatic about a .308 on base percentage.

That means he makes an out nearly 70% of the time. Add the times he's caught stealing to that mix and you've got a player that might make an out 75% of the time getting the most at bats on the entire team.

Add him to chronic out makers like Phillips, Cozart, and Mesoracco....Whoo. That's a bunch of outs right there.

As a fan, I don't like it when guys on the Reds make a lot of outs.
    Well I wouldn't be happy with that for a career, but baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Well I wouldn't be happy with that for a career, but baby steps.
    True. Bat him seventh.

Frankly, I would rather have the pitcher bat 8th and Hamilton bat ninth. Take the pressure off him and let Phillips lead off to start the game.

Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesoraco
    Pitcher
    Hamilton
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

22. Likes:

RedlegJake (01-26-2014)

Turn Off Ads?