Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ten dumbest fanbases in America

Re: Ten dumbest fanbases in America

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If you go or went to Ohio State, "us" or "we" makes perfect sense when referring to the Buckeyes.

And if you write a big check for tickets or to the booster club, you're certainly entitled to the "we" or "us" as far as I'm concerned.

Frankly, if you just want to say "we" or "us", who is LoganBuck to tell you that you shouldn't? You know what they say about opinions...
    I graduated from Ohio State. I don't use us or we because I know the amount of work the team puts in. I think it minimizes the work that leads up to gametime.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

For me, I don't have a problem with "we." Unless you're one of those guys who switches to "they" when the team loses.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

4. Likes:

dabvu2498 (11-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    For me, I don't have a problem with "we." Unless you're one of those guys who switches to "they" when the team loses.
    Why? Parents do that all the time.

"Honey, OUR son made the honor role." vs. "Do you know what YOUR son did today."

Anyone who has followed the Bengals and stuck with them from the early 1990s to today has earned to use "we" or "they" however they like.

I've noticed some teams actually do what they can to make the fans feel like a part of the team.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'm kinda surprised the way this topic has turned. Figured there would be more debate on the teams on the list or others being discussed (Cubs).

Should mention I emailed Clay Travis and never received a response from him why the Cubs weren't mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

There is a legal advice show on the radio in Mobile. A caller called in and seriously inquired whether the state of Alabama could sue Clay Travis for defamation or not. Well, first, there you go. That act itself proves Travis' case. Second, a good portion of the state would oppose the attempt.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-04-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is a legal advice show on the radio in Mobile. A caller called in and seriously inquired whether the state of Alabama could sue Clay Travis for defamation or not. Well, first, there you go. That act itself proves Travis' case. Second, a good portion of the state would oppose the attempt.
    All it shows is that someone in Alabama has not learned one of the primary rules of the internet: "Don't feed the trolls."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Regardless of what any of us think of Clay Travis, can we all agree that this part is right on the money?

So what's the dumbest stereotypical Steeler fan like in his element:

He's sitting at your neighborhood Applebee's bar in a Troy Polamalu jersey.

No matter which American city you live in, come Sunday there are Steeler fans at your bar. That's why everyone hates Steeler fans, because they're the guys and gals who move to a city that's much better than their own and cheer for another team's city. Every NFL fan base hates Steeler fans. They're the absolute worst. This is a scientific fact.
    I, for one, applaud the exhaustive scientific research he undertook to arrive at this unassailable conclusion.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

10. Likes:

dabvu2498 (11-05-2013),LoganBuck (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Regardless of what any of us think of Clay Travis, can we all agree that this part is right on the money?

I, for one, applaud the exhaustive scientific research he undertook to arrive at this unassailable conclusion.
    Travis is way wrong on this one. That fan's jersey says Roethlesburger on the back.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

As if one couldn't insert the names: Cowboy, Packer, 49er or Raider for the exact same situation to play out. Some teams have large Nationwide fanbases, some don't.

It simply underscores the real issue: Many Half-wits, such as Travis, fail to acknowledge that many fans of pro teams -- and this includes Reds fans -- have never lived anywhere near their favorite team's city.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I can provide some more insight from Mr. Travis:

Ohio State is the most-SEC like fan base in the country that's not actually in the SEC.

Which is a bit like living on Rodeo Drive, but sleeping on the manhole covers to stay warm while you look at all the nice things inside the stores.

Basically, Ohio State is like a homeless SEC team.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Morning after morning I'd awake to find a grammatically challenged missive about why West Virginia was a great fit for the SEC or the ACC or the Big Ten or the Big 12 or the Pac 12 or any other conference in the country not named the Big East. The reasoning was illogical, harebrained, conspiracy-laden and downright incomprehensible. All of it suggested that West Virginia was a "national brand" with "huge television ratings" that promised decades of continued renown.
    How crooked is the West Virginia program? So crooked that Pacman Jones and Chris Henry were college roommates.

Roommates!

And they both stayed eligible throughout their entire tenure in Morgantown, which, in case you're wondering, is just a modern day Deadwood. How much do players get away with in Morgantown? That's where Aaron Hernandez buried all his bodies.
    When I was growing up Tennessee football was the entire show, the end all, be all of big time sports. But that's changed. Now the Vols have competition. In the past thirty years the state of Tennessee has added two million people, increasing the state's population by nearly 50%. Many of these new residents brought their own fandoms, this was not a natural population growth of Vol fans who can still recall the 1968 Alabama-Tennessee game. Along the way Nashville -- with nearly a third of state's population in its metro area -- has become one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

All of this is great for the state, but it also helps dilute the crazy.

Craziness thrives in provincial states that see little migration. The less cross-pollination, the dumber fan bases can become. If people are constantly moving into your state from other places then you end up with hundreds of different fan bases and that kills your potency. Migration stops the crazy from percolating, the particular witches brew of insanity doesn't fester and explode into the popular consciousness. So Tennessee fans are dumb, but they're becomingly increasingly less so. Primarily because they're so easily distracted by other teams.

If the Titans ever start winning again, the Vols could lose Nashville forever. (Fortunately for the Vols, the Titans are never going to start winning again).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Do you have to run the steps in the Horseshoe? Are you putting in hours of training at the WHAC? Did Urban come to your house and eat dinner with you and your family? Did you spend hours in the offseason reinventing your batting stance, or building muscle for baseball season? Since the answer is no, you don't get to use we or us.

I think we had a great game against Purdue. The players and fans all did a great job in West Laf.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Turn Off Ads?