Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Jonathan Broxton- 3 Years, $21m; 4th Year option

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    The only comp I can think of is CC and he's been healthy. Hopefully Brox can be too.
    Sid Fernandez?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Broxton- 3 Years, $21m; 4th Year option

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I just don't see how they can afford to trade a starter unless they're adding another starter via trade or free agency. Not only is it unrealistic to expect everyone to stay healthy, it's crazy to think Chapman can go from closer to much more than 150 innings next season. They need rotation depth more than ever.
    Agree completely. Leake to long relief or maybe even AAA for a while to start the season. I'd bet he makes 15 starts in 2013.

I'd stick Cingrani in the pen as the other lefty. Ondrusek and Arredondo would be the trade pieces with a kid or two IMO.

Broxton (CL)
    Marshall (LHSU)
    Hoover (RHSU)
    Lecure (RMR)
    Cingrani (LMR)
    Masset/Simon (Mop-up)
    Leake (Swingman)
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Coffee has been healthy too if I am remembering correctly.
    Coffey had TJ recently. Of course, you can't blame that on his weight.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think it's mildly interesting that Broxton is younger than Sam LeCure.
    Well, Lecure was a gunfighter in the old West. I think he rode with the Clantons.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree completely. Leake to long relief or maybe even AAA for a while to start the season. I'd bet he makes 15 starts in 2013.

I'd stick Cingrani in the pen as the other lefty. Ondrusek and Arredondo would be the trade pieces with a kid or two IMO.

Broxton (CL)
    Marshall (LHSU)
    Hoover (RHSU)
    Lecure (RMR)
    Cingrani (LMR)
    Masset/Simon (Mop-up)
    Leake (Swingman)
    Reds have too many holes to hold Leake as a sixth starter. They probably can't afford more free agents of starting player quality. They will need to trade from their pitching depth.

They aren't getting a regular LF or CF for Didi Gregorius and Ryan Lamarre.

You go with five starters. You do your best to come up with depth guys in case of injury.

I'd be amazed if Leake was in the bullpen waiting for an opening. I've been amazed before, so it's possible. I expect a trade from the pitching depth.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-28-2012 at 09:51 PM.

I would never pay a nonathlete that kind of money. In the lousy shape he is in he could get hit any second with back, shoulder, knee problems. He also strikes me as a feast or famine guy.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He's pretty quick for a big guy. I would say he's athletic

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I would never pay a nonathlete that kind of money. In the lousy shape he is in he could get hit any second with back, shoulder, knee problems. He also strikes me as a feast or famine guy.
    You probably wouldn't be a very good GM then.

I'm willing to bet Broxton can do more 'athletic' things than our closer from 2008-2011 anyway.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Well, Lecure was a gunfighter in the old West. I think he rode with the Clantons.
    They were duelin', Doolin-Daltons
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

This seems like a significant misappropriation of funds considering the overall salary constraints likely facing the Reds and their other, more pressing, needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Yeah, Babe Ruth was overpaid

I'm reminded of a John Kruk story:

He was eating ribs at a nice restaurant, very sloppily and aggressively, when a woman came up to him aghast. She told him he should be ashamed of himself, considering he was an athlete. To which he replied, "Lady, I ain't an athelte, I'm a baseball player."
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    This seems like a significant misappropriation of funds considering the overall salary constraints likely facing the Reds and their other, more pressing, needs.
    They're paying him $4 million this year. $7 mil next. This isn't 1995 any more. That's not a ton of money.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    They were duelin', Doolin-Daltons
    Nice

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    This is not meant to be a serious analysis comment.

On my I-Phone, I have the "9 Innings" baseball app. A really, really, really good, fun MLB (officially sanctioned by MLB) game to have on your phone. You can control everything, but I typically just control hitting and pitching. The pitching is fun because you get to see what pitches these guys throw. And it's interesting because some of our best pitchers don't have many pitches, and other guys like Leake, Arroyo, LeCure are more fun because they have like 4 or 5 in the game. For Chapman, they have a 2-seam, 4-seam, slider, and changeup. It's almost comical to throw Chapman's changeup because it's not much slower than the fastball or slider.

I even changed my batting lineup and moved Votto to hitting second. Last season, I missed the playoffs by a hair with Joey batting third, and this season I made them with Votto hitting second. Not real world, I know.........but it worked in this game.

Something else I found interesting, Marshall throws a Circle Change in this game. I don't think he actually throws it in reality. He has a slider, 4-seam, nasty curve, and a circle change according to them.

Cueto only throws a 4-seam, slider and changeup. I think Bailey throws a 4-seam, splitter, curve, slider and changeup. This is per this MLB sanctioned game, I remind you.

Anyway, it's a fun game. Does anyone else play it? I probably play one game a day when I have the time. Maybe waiting for a doctor's appointment or oil change, or waiting on my kids or something.

I had a no-hitter going the other day, and I laughed at myself because going into the 6th inning, I got nervous. LOL.
    Thanks. Now I am hooked on this stupid game.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Thanks. Now I am hooked on this stupid game.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I just downloaded this, clearly whoever made this game is not from the US. Very broken English, cheerleaders, whistles signaling foul balls for some reason lol.

Fun game though

Turn Off Ads?