Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Road Truckers

Ice Road Truckers

Anyone else watch this series on the History Channel? They started season three last Sunday. This year they are in Alaska. This road looks like its the most dangerous road yet. It going up and down big hills with narrow and winding roads. They also have to look out for avalanches along the way. The last part of the road is crossing a frozen part of the Arctic Ocean. There are two drivers from the Canadien ice roads on the show this year from the past,Hugh and Alex. Also this week a young woman will be driving it. We will see how that goes. Its been a good series the last two years although I thought last year got a little soap operaish with the drivers. But still a very interesting show.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ice Road Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Anyone else watch this series on the History Channel? They started season three last Sunday. This year they are in Alaska. This road looks like its the most dangerous road yet. It going up and down big hills with narrow and winding roads. They also have to look out for avalanches along the way. The last part of the road is crossing a frozen part of the Arctic Ocean. There are two drivers from the Canadien ice roads on the show this year from the past,Hugh and Alex. Also this week a young woman will be driving it. We will see how that goes. Its been a good series the last two years although I thought last year got a little soap operaish with the drivers. But still a very interesting show.
    Oh I love this show. I agree the soap opera stuff gets old but I think they do that to attract female viewers.

I have always wondered what these guys make driving these trucks because it is a job that I can't imagine many people want to do.

I can't see the show lasting much longer than another season or two. I mean how many shows can you make about truckers risking their life driving on frozen ice??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

High five!

It's a must watch on our DVR.

I think Drew and Rick from the previous year should go into business together. They could have a slogan like "when it absolutely, positively has to be done wrong, get there late (or not at all) and be excuse laden, D&R Trucking is for you!"

Every time I see a commercial for this show I scream at my TV "WHY IS THIS ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL!?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Oh I love this show. I agree the soap opera stuff gets old but I think they do that to attract female viewers.

I have always wondered what these guys make driving these trucks because it is a job that I can't imagine many people want to do.

I can't see the show lasting much longer than another season or two. I mean how many shows can you make about truckers risking their life driving on frozen ice??
    I think as long as they can find different places that have this type of road they can make it. Also Hugh and Alex would probably have to agree to do it. I've read on the History Channel forums that the History Channel had to go and get these two after they started filming in Alaska. Apparently the one's already there didn't have the type of personality that came off well on TV.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I think as long as they can find different places that have this type of road they can make it. Also Hugh and Alex would probably have to agree to do it. I've read on the History Channel forums that the History Channel had to go and get these two after they started filming in Alaska. Apparently the one's already there didn't have the type of personality that came off well on TV.
    I was wondering why they didn't have much face time the first episode this explains a lot. I told my wife who watches it with me that I was disappointed with the first episode, glad the folks at History got Alex and Hugh to come back.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I thought they made major money for a few months of work, like in the upwards of $40K or so...

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    I thought they made major money for a few months of work, like in the upwards of $40K or so...
    Yes, they do.

It's compelling TV for some reason.

That said, I think the compelling nature of the show was partly due to the novelty during the first season. How do you drive on ice? What's it like? What if a blizzard hits? Will a truck fall through the ice? Those were all questions that I think kept folks interested.

I noticed that for myself, in the second season, those questions had already been answered and the show became less about ice road trucking and more about the personalities. I'm not as interested in the personalities as I am the mechanics of ice road trucking.

That said, I'd love to have Drew back again this year to see how big of an idiot he can make of himself.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Yes, they do.

It's compelling TV for some reason.

That said, I think the compelling nature of the show was partly due to the novelty during the first season. How do you drive on ice? What's it like? What if a blizzard hits? Will a truck fall through the ice? Those were all questions that I think kept folks interested.

I noticed that for myself, in the second season, those questions had already been answered and the show became less about ice road trucking and more about the personalities. I'm not as interested in the personalities as I am the mechanics of ice road trucking.

That said, I'd love to have Drew back again this year to see how big of an idiot he can make of himself.
    He's a total Drewfus.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    He's a total Drewfus.
    Or a Drewche.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Drew was awful showing up for an Ice Road trucking job without a coat, but he did have a briefcase. The funniest part was when he got stuck driving a cubevan for the majority of the season. Hugh let out a huge roar when he saw that.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Drew was awful showing up for an Ice Road trucking job without a coat, but he did have a briefcase.
    I had forgotten about the briefcase. I do remember at the time laughing out loud when I first saw him Drewfussing around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Drew was awful showing up for an Ice Road trucking job without a coat, but he did have a briefcase. The funniest part was when he got stuck driving a cubevan for the majority of the season. Hugh let out a huge roar when he saw that.
    He actually quit the trucking company that did the ice road hauls after the first day or so. They made him wait a little bit for a job and he just packed it in. He had take a job hauling groceries in a one ton truck. He got razzed quite a bit for that. I'm sure the History Channel wasn't too pleased with him either when he quit the main trucking company. I've read that he is a good truck driver but he was out his element on the ice roads. Driving those roads aren't for everyone and it obviously wasn't for him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He actually quit the trucking company that did the ice road hauls after the first day or so. They made him wait a little bit for a job and he just packed it in. He had take a job hauling groceries in a one ton truck. He got razzed quite a bit for that. I'm sure the History Channel wasn't too pleased with him either when he quit the main trucking company. I've read that he is a good truck driver but he was out his element on the ice roads. Driving those roads aren't for everyone and it obviously wasn't for him.
    Haven't watched this season, but with regard to last season, I had read that the Northwinds guy didn't care for "out of towners" and thus wasn't too keen on giving them assignments. He had Hugh hauling human waste all winter and wouldn't give Drew a truck. Supposedly, people who worked with Drew at his second job said a lot of positive things about him and felt he was victim of a bad edit by the production company. Rick, on the other hand, I've heard he isn't welcome back to either of the ice roads he's worked before.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Every time I see a commercial for this show I scream at my TV "WHY IS THIS ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL!?!?"
    My thoughts exactly. It seems like it should belong on another network.

Turn Off Ads?