Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Khalil Greene???

Khalil Greene???

He was once a rising star, but anxiety problems have derailed his career. Another fresh start, new medications, and/or intensive therapy and he could get a second chance to overcome his handicap. He could be a low cost gamble and a second chance at a lifetime. Social anxieties are very hard to treat and medicational treatment for his disorder are difficult to pinpoint, but Cincinnati might be a good place to reload his career.

I'd like to see the Reds take a chance on him.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Khalil Greene???

Good news for you then.... heard from a scout today that the Reds have interest in him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good news for you then.... heard from a scout today that the Reds have interest in him.
    Cincinnati would be a great place for a guy like Greene to reestablish his career if he has anything left. Great hitters park. Low pressure city. Only Janish standing in the way at SS. How about a minor league deal with an invite to spring training?

I would really like to take a chance on Greene .
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

He's had three pretty good seasons (2004, 2006 & 2007) where he was more than a 2.5 win player. If he could turn in a similar season, he would definitely be an upgrade to the position as he's capable defensively and has some pop. Considering he might be a low-cost flier, I'd say give it a shot.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Not sure on Greene. I wanted him a lot last year and even wished that the Reds would deal for him and take on his contract. The Reds passed and were a lot smarter than me on that one. The Cards moved him off SS last year because his range had worsened so much. Not sure if his emotional problems caused him to let himself go a bit and lose a step that he can recover with some conditioning or if he's permanently lost a step. If he can't handle SS defensively, then he has no purpose. If he can, then he may be worth a look. At this point he's worth a minor league deal with a spring invitation only in my book. Given the opportunity in Cincy along with a park that will help build his resume if he plays and the fact that he probably won't get a big league deal elsewhere, that may be pretty attractive to him if his head is right.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Greene is (or at least was) a very good defensive shortstop. But his offense is beyond terrible, and his OBP makes Willy Taveras look like Barry Bonds. I wouldn't hate the move, because it would be low risk. But it's just more of the same IMO. It's not really a move that's going to get us anywhere, or improve the team much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Greene is (or at least was) a very good defensive shortstop. But his offense is beyond terrible, and his OBP makes Willy Taveras look like Barry Bonds. I wouldn't hate the move, because it would be low risk. But it's just more of the same IMO. It's not really a move that's going to get us anywhere, or improve the team much at all.
    I'm not all that excited about Greene, but his OBP numbers do not "make Willy Taveras look like Barry Bonds..."

2009 OBP:
    Greene: .272
    Taveras: .275

2009 OPS:
    Greene: .619
    Taveras: .559

Career MLB hitting:
    Greene(7 seasons): .245/.302/.422 for an OPS of .723
    Taveras(6 seasons): .276/.321/.328 for an OPS of .649.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I'd rather have Janish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'd rather have Janish.
    We'll always have Janish...

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    We'll always have Janish...

There's a little Janish in all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    There's a little Janish in all of us.
    I wouldn't bring up Janish if I were you, it's poor salesmanship.
    Let's play two!!!

Code:
    Greene   OBP
    2003 SD .271 
    2004 SD .349 
    2005 SD .296 
    2006 SD .320 
    2007 SD .291 
    2008 SD .260 
    2009 St .272
    Don’t the Reds already have enough problems finding first and second base without a seeing eye dog to guide them?

Code:
    Janish    OBP
    2008 Cin .270
    2009 Cin .296

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Code:
    Greene   OBP
    2003 SD .271 
    2004 SD .349 
    2005 SD .296 
    2006 SD .320 
    2007 SD .291 
    2008 SD .260 
    2009 St .272
    Don’t the Reds already have enough problems finding first and second base without a seeing eye dog to guide them?

Code:
    Janish    OBP
    2008 Cin .270
    2009 Cin .296
    But big picture (based on the hope that Greene could get back to where he was), he could be a 2.5-win player, which is almost a couple wins better than what the Reds have now. Of course that's only based on the hope that Greene can get to that level, and I myself still wonder if he can, but if he does, his overall contribution would be well worth it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Maybe having a teammate who understands what it's like to deal with anxiety issues would be therapeutic for Greene. Votto too, for that matter.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?